A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
404 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Shadowbox for Dad's Birthday  (Read 1057 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amelie
« on: April 08, 2005 01:37:35 PM »

So this year, I was stumpted on what to give my Dad for his birthday. I really couldn't handle the thought of getting him one more meaningless trinket, so I turned to craftster for ideas. Lo and behold, I come across Mojo's post about a shadow box they had done, and I was inspired. We go up to Maine every summer, so I used a photo of that as the background. I painted the bottom of the box different shades of green and the sides blue and stuck pieces of cotton to the sides and top for the clouds. I made little stands out of cardstock for the sailboat and turkey, and glued them into place. I used some frog stickers that I stuck onto fishing line to make the frogs look as though they were jumping. In the photo you can see the fishing line but that is only because of the flash, in real life you can't see it!
      My dad loved it, and this is how it turned out (sorry about the slightly lame pic, it was the only way to not get any light refecting in the glass!):
http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/25826DSC00290.jpg
« Last Edit: January 05, 2012 03:14:38 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow that talent to the dark places where it leads." ~Erica Jong
Mojo
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005 05:40:00 AM »

Love it amelie! 
I think these make great gifts.  A simple framed pic or album is nice but I think people appreciate the extra creativity and effort that go into these boxes.  My friend really seemed to like the one I made for her. 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2005 01:13:46 PM »

This is super cute...and I am sure it touches so close to home for him Wink  What a great idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
RBrennan

well behaved women rarely make history

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2005 07:14:52 PM »

Seriously, if I gave this to my dad he would probably cry. That is SUCH a great idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
amelie
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2005 07:30:45 AM »

Thanks! Mojo definately inspired me after i saw her post... geeze i love crafster,  Wink

By the way, I love your quote RBrennan- well behaved women rarely DO make history. it's definately a motto i've been brought up with!!

Thanks for the comments!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Everyone has talent. What is rare is the courage to follow that talent to the dark places where it leads." ~Erica Jong
Mojo
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2005 08:39:21 AM »

amelie-- where in Maine do you vacation?  That's a beautiful house...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rainbow_art

taste the rainbow

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2005 09:47:30 AM »

Thats a really lovely idea and its a thoughtful one too as you go there every summer and things.  I havent seen Mojo's post showing what they did but i think this is great and ive done something like this before but its made me want to have another go!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

amelie
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2005 01:40:27 PM »

Rainbow_art- They are so much fun to do, I'm thinking of doing a few others as gifts for my friends! Plus i had a great time pouring over the old pictures!

Mojo- we go to Damariscotta, it's right by Newcastle (about an hour north of portland). do you know the area? i'm glad you like the house  Smiley we sure do!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mojo
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2005 04:27:51 AM »

Mojo- we go to Damariscotta, it's right by Newcastle (about an hour north of portland). do you know the area? i'm glad you like the house  Smiley we sure do!

I don't know Damariscotta but we do spend time on Sebago Lake every summer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn How to Flat Iron Curl Your Hair
Learn How to Create the Perfect Ponytail
How to Cornrow Hair
How to Create an Amy Winehouse Beehive Hair style
Tips on Relaxing African-American Hair
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...