A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 302,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
772 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Purse from hoodie  (Read 5114 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dooney
Remnants are a girl's best friend.

Wiggle eyes make my world go 'round.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: April 08, 2005 12:59:24 PM »

I bought this hoodie off ebay, but it was too tight for me. I didn't want to sell it again, so I made it into a purse. It was a lot easier than I thought it would be (especially for me - a brand-new sewer at the time) but one thing I would change is that I used fleece for the lining, which made it hard for my mom's old sewing machine. I ended up doing a LOT of it by hand. I bled a lot  Undecided

I was going to cut the hood off, but my mom's friend suggested I keep it, and I'm glad I did. I bought a zipper and sewed it so I could close the hood. I like to keep keys in there, it's easier than digging through the whole thing.

The main compartment is basically just the bottom half of the hoodie, and the flap/hood are still intact. I didn't have to do much in the way of cutting/reconstructing. I used extra material from the back of the hoodie to make pockets inside the purse.

I couldn't figure out how to attach a zipper to the main compartment. My mom suggested Velcro, which I used, and I hated it. I ripped one part off, but I can't get the other side off - I used hot glue.  Sad fortunately it's the loop (soft) side.

Later, I bought some magnetic snaps, which I'm planning on attaching, but I'll have to un-stitch a part of the flap to do it.

The strap, obviously, is made from the sleeves. They were a little wide at the top, so I sewed them narrower. They are attached to the main compartment.

I'm working on an Old Navy purse with gray t-shirt lining, which I'm finding is too flimsy.

I'd like to see other people try this, and hear their ideas.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

roskate

Let the Punks Get Crunk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005 08:58:56 AM »

This is really cool i want to make one!!!! can you make a tute or something cuz i am not understanding that much.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dooney

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005 02:07:35 PM »

I'm going to work on another one and I'll take pictures. It's too complicated for me to draw, and I made it a while ago. I'll try a simple one w/o pics.

Cut the bottom half off the hoodie, this will be the main compartment. Cut out a flap from the top half, and include a little bit of the top of the back too. It should be a rectangle, and it should include the hood.

Get whatever material will be your lining and make a basic pouch a little smaller than the main compartment. Now would be the time to add pockets to the inside, if you want to do that.

Trace the flap part onto the lining material and cut it out. Sew the bottom part of the hood shut (The part where you put your head through) and add a zipper if you want it. Put the lining and flap right sides together and sew them together, leaving the back part unsewn.Turn the flap right side out.

Cut the sleeves off and make them the way you want. Like I said, I sewed them so they were the same width all the way through instead of wider where they used to connect to the hoodie.

This is kind of tricky to describe, and not essential, so if you don't understand, you can do it however you want. Stretch one cuff over the other and hand-stitch the very end of the inside cuff to the seam where the outside cuff connects to the sleeve. Or you could do it the other way around. The way I did it, the outside cuff can be pulled back to show the inside cuff.

Arrange the flap and strap where you want them in the main compartment and then put the liner in.

I pinned it all so the unfinished edges were inside between the liner and hoodie and sewed around the edges, but I think you could work it so you don't see the stitches.

*shrug* hope this helps. I've been wanting to make another one, I just have to decide which hoodie to sacrifice. I'm a hoodie junky. My husband has one he doesn't like the way it fits, maybe I'll use that one.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

roskate

Let the Punks Get Crunk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005 03:13:48 AM »

cool thanks i hope to see your new one! iam on spring break so i have some time to make this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

roskate

Let the Punks Get Crunk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005 06:32:27 AM »

ohhh thank for the instructions i made one i'll try to post it later when i figure out how to use the camera
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dooney

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005 06:49:44 AM »

How did it turn out?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

roskate

Let the Punks Get Crunk

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2005 07:09:16 AM »

well when i was making it my friends were there and they said its so cute.  thanks i love this bag.  My friend wants me to make her one with a zipper hoodie. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

muchachaK
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005 10:16:47 AM »

That's hysterical.... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You need a handbag...  www.muchachak.com
libe
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2005 12:06:09 PM »

this is such a cute idea!  i think i might try doing it sometime.  it's good to know you can do it without being an expert sewer too (cause i sure am not).  anyway, great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dirt_made_my_lunch

don't think twice, it's alright

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2005 04:04:05 PM »

oh giggle. I like the pic on it. I have three shirts like that. One with a cow that says "holy" one with a hippo that says "hip" and one with a polar bear that says "chill"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Now the wintertime is coming,
The windows are filled with frost.
I went to tell everybody,
But I could not get across.
Well, I wanna be your lover, baby,
I don't wanna be your boss.
Don't say I never warned you
When your train gets lost.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lisa Lutz Talks About Revenge of the Spellmans
Lisa Jones on Broken
P.J. Bracegirdle Talks About The Joy of Spooking Series
Peter Walsh Reveals His Favorite TV Show
Kieran Scott Reveals Her Favorite Movie
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...