A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 300,960
Currently Running With Scissors:
387 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Additive Oils are Separating in MP Soap  (Read 834 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cmarie14
« on: July 15, 2009 03:45:09 PM »

This may be one of those questions that seasoned soap makers roll their eyes at, but I'll go ahead. Smiley

I'm trying to add lanolin to a high-glycerin all natural shea butter soap base, and while some of it is mixing in, most of it is separating to the top.  I have a feeling what when I try adding hemp seed oil to a different batch, I may experience something similar.  I had been told that one can add these things in, but perhaps not?  Is there a way to help the lanolin/oil to stay mixed in?

Thanks for any help or clues you can give me! Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009 11:32:55 PM »

Shoot, I typed up a big long reply on my phone this afternoon and lost it before it posted!

So, how much oil are you adding? Typical guidelines for mp are 1 tablespoon per 1 pound of mp soap base. If you are adding more than that, try cutting back and seeing if that helps. If you are adding that amount or less, maybe it has to do with the fact that it is a high glycerin mp, so it already has extra glycerin in it and is having trouble holding additional oil as well? I will admit I am totally guessing on that, I haven't used high glycerin mp before!

My only other idea is to make sure that your soap base and your lanolin are the same temp when you combine them, if one is significantly hotter than the other then  maybe they are setting up at different rates?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Nymeria

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2009 08:59:47 AM »

As a lanolin lover, I'd cut back even more than MareMare suggested. A little bit of lanolin goes a loooooooong way. With hemp oil you could totally add 1T. per pound of M&P, but with lanolin I'd cut it back to maybe 2tsp. per pound and try it.

Also, lanolin, like beeswax, has a pretty high melting point. How are you melting your stuff? In the microwave? I would try chopping your M&P into small cubes and adding your lanolin in small blobs (is there any other way to add it? lol) and melting them together in a double boiler, stirring constantly so that you're sure you have a pretty good, homogenous mixture. And then be sure to allow them to cool at room temperature (no freezing).

That sounds like it'll work to me. Hemp oil will add easily (using MareMare's suggestion of 1T/lb.), lanolin is just a strange substance. A GREAT substance, but a strange one. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
cmarie14
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2009 09:30:05 AM »

Thanks, guys. I'm going to try your suggestions.

I'm trying to add it at a higher percentage because I want to use the soap as a wool wash bar for washing wool items used in cloth diapering.  So I had 30% lanolin.  I've seen people do it, but I may try cutting back - to me, the finished product may have too much lanolin for the purpose (you would fill the sink, placing the bar under the running water so a little dissolves into the water, and when you add your little wool pants, it would wash and also lanolize (and thus make them water resistant.)  LOL.  I think that there's so much lanolin in there that you'd get too much in your water...sticky wool...yuck.

I have a friend who is a chemist who said that it may also be a problem because the whole point of soap is to separate the oils, thus I need to find a way to make the two combine.  She said a detergent would do it, which I'm not willing to do, but she's doing some more research on it to see if she can find a solution.

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cmarie14
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2009 09:32:20 AM »

Ah, and thanks for easing my worry that the hemp oil would act the same way.  The lanolin bars are my own experiment, low stakes.  The hemp oil I'm adding to another project is for a customer!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nymeria

Captain of the S.S. Kill Beast Buffet

I do not like the cone of shame.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009 10:12:58 AM »

I'm trying to add it at a higher percentage because I want to use the soap as a wool wash bar for washing wool items used in cloth diapering.  So I had 30% lanolin.  I've seen people do it, but I may try cutting back - to me, the finished product may have too much lanolin for the purpose (you would fill the sink, placing the bar under the running water so a little dissolves into the water, and when you add your little wool pants, it would wash and also lanolize (and thus make them water resistant.)  LOL.  I think that there's so much lanolin in there that you'd get too much in your water...sticky wool...yuck.

I have a friend who is a chemist who said that it may also be a problem because the whole point of soap is to separate the oils, thus I need to find a way to make the two combine.  She said a detergent would do it, which I'm not willing to do, but she's doing some more research on it to see if she can find a solution.

I'm assuming you're referring to this when you say you've seen people do it? The critical thing to remember is that those soap bars are cold process and not melt & pour. While both make soap, there are things you can do with CP soap that you cannot do with M&P, and vice versa. Both have their pros and cons for certain situations. For this particular use, M&P might not be the correct vehicle to achieve what you want. (in fact on all the wool wash bars I pulled up, they were very adamant in stating they do not use M&P base, lol)

I'm not sure to what your friend is referring by detergents or separating oils. While chemists definitely are good people to turn to when figuring out chemical compositions, and defining some of those 10-syllable compounds found in commercial soaps, they don't necessarily know everything about soapmaking...

Hemp oil is so lovely; now I want to go make something with it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things Black Library and WH 40k, check out my Examiner page!

Nerd girls of the world, unite!
cmarie14
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009 11:22:57 AM »

I'm assuming you're referring to this when you say you've seen people do it? The critical thing to remember is that those soap bars are cold process and not melt & pour. While both make soap, there are things you can do with CP soap that you cannot do with M&P, and vice versa. Both have their pros and cons for certain situations. For this particular use, M&P might not be the correct vehicle to achieve what you want. (in fact on all the wool wash bars I pulled up, they were very adamant in stating they do not use M&P base, lol)

I'm not sure to what your friend is referring by detergents or separating oils. While chemists definitely are good people to turn to when figuring out chemical compositions, and defining some of those 10-syllable compounds found in commercial soaps, they don't necessarily know everything about soapmaking...

Hemp oil is so lovely; now I want to go make something with it!

I've never seen those.  I did see some that looked like MP soap, but I could have been decieved.  Hmmm...maybe I need to wait on this project until I can get my hands on some lye...

I'm not sure exactly what she was saying either - she was thinking out loud.  I think she was trying to think about how chemicals and elements react and give me some things to try to reverse/prevent the reaction I was getting- she has a pretty good knowledge about how soap works and how it's put together, but she doesn't make it herself, so definitely not an expert. Tongue

I have a feeling I'm going to love the hemp oil!  I'm thinking of trying it for my own bars!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009 01:38:25 PM »

I will talk to my manfriend, he is a chemist and a soapmaker!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Crystal Wedding Centerpiece
How to Make a Colorful Centerpiece
How to Make a Chest of Drawers from Recyclable Materials (with subtitles)
How to Make a Chest of Drawers from Recyclable Materials
Simple Balloon Clover Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...