A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 300,899
Currently Running With Scissors:
378 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My Luna Mirkwood scarf with pattern (pic heavy)  (Read 1750 times)
Tags for this thread: harry_potter , lord_of_the_rings , scarf , pattern , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ruby Copperhead
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: July 15, 2009 05:01:04 AM »

Just have to show it off although I don't know yet what to think of it. This is pretty weird.

It started out as a Luna Lovegood scarf which I currently am making some to stock up for birthday presents. I had a thrifted skein of boring brown caramel colored cotton, and it had this cardboard tube inside so I couldn't weigh it to see how much yarn I actually had. It looked like it was almost unused, but I was wrong. After one half of scarf, I ran out of color.

I tried to combine it with a just as boring lighter green. Hm, looked good. Looked kind of Lord of the Ring-ish. Okay, everything in earth tones lookes like it's elvish to me Smiley So I thought after the first row, maybe I can make elvish leaves instead of shells.
Yes, I know, it's not a Mirkwood leaf, I think it's Lothlorien, but Mirkwood rhymes with Lovegood Smiley

At that point I was thinking if the pattern worked out, I could have leaves on both sides, but right now I am more thinking of letting the scarf be as it is, and using it as a reference piece for both patterns.

So here it is, my Luna Mirkwood scarf. It hasn't got a border, because I ran out of yarn on the brown side, and out of ideas on the green side. I might be trying something at the borders (I am open to suggestions here), but right now I am already pleased with it as it is:

I will post a pattern of the leaves later today.

Please comment, as this scarf confuses me - not my kind of color, not too happy with the connections between the leaves, but I am kind of stuck now. Any suggestions how to improve this thing? Rather not touch it any more?

And now: the pattern.

First, have a look at the wonderful Luna Lovegood scarf pattern from pinkleo:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=238536.0

You can see that the scarf is made from two identical halves. This is what I used for the first half. I also did the first row of the second half in brown (only then realizing I was running out of this color), but one could try to make the scarf half-half, or even take a third color for the middle grid.

For the leaves I did this (in green)

Second row:
Like the 2nd row of the Luna Lovegood scarf
ch3, turn, work 2dc in first dc, (ch4, skip 4dc, in next dc work 5dc), Repeat () until last dc, in last dc work 3dc

(ignore my fancy ending of the rows, I always do it "just somehow" if I have miscounted my initial chain stitches, let's just assume I had done it like the Luna Lovegood pattern says I should have)

Third row:
ch3, turn, dc in next dc, repeat *ch3, hdc, ch3, leaftop*, end with half a leaftop
leaftop: make a dc, but end up with two slings on the hook, make another dc, end up with two slings again, make another, and this time finish all slings

(I am still thinking of cleverer ways to get the leaf shape, but this one was the first that worked)

Aw, tiny leaves!

For stacking another line of leaves on top of the first, go on with

Fourth row:
Repeat *sc, ch, sc, ch6, skip 7*
The ch will come to rest on top of the leaftop, the two sc go into the leaftop stitch and one next to it

for more leaves, repeat 2nd-4th row

Phew, my first pattern that I wrote in English! I hope I got everything right, tell me if you find mistakes or better solutions.

And here another one of the finished scarf to show the drape. Actually, the Lovegood half drapes a lot better because it's sturdier, the Mirkwood half just crumbles. Smiley But the two colors make a nice effect together.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2009 01:21:11 PM by Ruby Copperhead » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009 06:10:37 AM »

I like it as is but IF I was adding an edging I'd do a picot edge so it doesn't take away from the design of the scarf.
Personally I like it just fine like it is. Lacely pretty and LOTR -esque. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
carmencrafter
No one can make it better than you can

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009 07:25:01 AM »

This isn't my area of expertise, so I don't have any suggestions for you, but I want to say that I think it's fabulous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Surround yourself with beautiful things!!

Bernie Lomax died for your sins!
christinacoghill

My biggest fans!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2009 09:11:52 AM »

I really like it as is.   so much so I want the pattern to make myself one!!!

But if you want to add a little extra to it, I say add some flowers or even some crocheted leaves and just sew them on it.   But then again I am into this everything needs flowers or leaves stage for my neck wear stage...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Healthy Raspberry Yogurt Treat for Kids
How to Make French Toast Skewers
How to Make the Legendary Ghirardelli Hot Fudge Sundae
Devil’s Food Cake Recipe with Fluffy White Frosting
How to Make Ricotta and Strawberries with Lemon Thyme Shortbread
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag
Tute Tuesday: Honkin' Big Beach Ball Snowman

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...