A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,634
Currently Running With Scissors:
418 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Copying pictures...  (Read 849 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

downtheroad
« on: July 15, 2009 01:37:32 AM »

Hey all. I'm sort of a newbie...been putting it all off for years. We're in the process of cleaning a potential scrapbooking space, and I like things clean and organized before I start lol. Anyway, my main question for now is about pictures. My perfectionism is kind of keeping me from starting any pages, and I'm too scared to cut/crop any pictures, even if they are copies. I'm trying to get over that, and my main thought is that I will just [attempt to] scan pictures onto my computer and upload them to Walgreen's website to have them printed there. I think that would be the easiest way, right? Does anyone have any experience doing this? Should I alter the pictures before I upload them or make them look exactly like the pictures? I'm mostly thinking of old antique-ish pictures of my grandparents and such. Also, what should I do about printing sizes? [I'm doing 12x12 scrapbook papers, I think - the big square ones]. Hah, I am horrible with sizes.

Anyway, any guidance would be much appreciated! Thank you! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~Sarah~
mehashell
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2009 05:17:29 AM »

I had pretty good success with scanning my pics right at the photo counter (if they still have the machines with the scanners in store). I did this because I didn't have a scanner at home.
I think if you wanted to edit/alter the photos, it would be best to do it at home, edit as you wish, then upload them to Walgreen's as you said.
For really old pictures you can scan them and do some touch ups using PhotoShop or Gimp (just like photo shop but FREE). There are all kinds of tutorials out there that help you with the program and how to do specific things like touching up old photos (you just have to search online for them).
I took all photos form my parents to scrapbook. I started to copy them all and then realized I couldn't handle the quantity/money/time, so I am just scrapping them as is no adjustments. All of my own pics are didital, so I am not afraid to scrap themand mess up. But if you scan them, save the images, file away the original, and you do mess up you can always print another.
I am making 12x12 pages (the big square guys), but then I am photo copying the whole page at 60% (once complete with embellishments etc ) to make an 8x8 sized album for my mom and one for my dad eventually. The copied pages were done at Kinko's and they come out really really nice (I was surprised).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snlfreak83
Hemp Kitty Art

The Crafty Cat Lady

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2009 02:32:52 PM »

I have been uploading pictures to Walgreen's website and having them printed. So far in my experience they have the best quality of printing and they often have coupon codes to use online to save money. I got $100 pictures not to long ago for only ten bucks plus tax! What they will do as well is what they call a "true print" mode. So if your picture won't fit the standard 4X6 size it shrinks it a little to 4X5.3 (i think?) so it doesn't cut anything out of the photo. I hate having to cut things out. But what's nice about their site is that after you upload all of them you have the option to select pictures smaller than 4X6. That way you can put more pics per page. You typically can fit 4 pictures on a 12x12 page but doesn't leave much room and that is only if two pictures are horizontal and two are vertical.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm a crafty kid. I just can't help myself.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Crystal Chan: What Are You Reading?
The Frackers: Wildcatters Who Made It Big
John Tayman: How Byliner Pays Its Writers
Victoria Wilson on Legendary Actress Barbara Stanwyck
An Extended Look at a Great Game: Hockey
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...