A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 301,535
Currently Running With Scissors:
530 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Vegas makes my head spin" quilt  (Read 2307 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

missgeekcore
Duchess of geeks.

View Profile WWW
« on: April 08, 2005 09:14:10 AM »

I made this stack and whack quilt top for the Vegas theme at fiber_friday on LJ. Was feeling particularly festive. I still need to find the right backing for it, and decide how exactly I'm going to quilt it.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2005 09:38:58 AM by missgeekcore » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craft Addict

"She's crafty- and she's just my type"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005 10:41:56 AM »

Wow, that's excellent.  Kudos to you!  I have the worst time matching up my points, and then I get discouraged and quit.  Can't wait to see it with the backing on it too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hambox
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005 12:26:06 PM »

oohhhh, very rockin. would be a great gift a poker fiend (to keep themselves warm after losing all their money).. tell me more about the stack n whack technique. I've got three quilts to make for the rest of this year and would love to bang them out in some kind of "stack" method..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Everybody is a star
One big circle going round and round
-- Sly and the Family Stone
missgeekcore
Duchess of geeks.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005 02:00:42 PM »

I used this Stack-N-Whack book for the pattern. Sadly, it did not really save me any time, or fabric. It's a faster version of a kaleidescope quilt, so you stack up 8 repeats of fabric, and cut the pieces for the pinwheel sections. I really enjoyed it, but I won't be doing it all the time. It was far too much work for me to perfectly match up al lthe repeats.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lisascenic
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005 08:39:21 PM »

Oh man oh man....  Your quilt is wonderful!

I wish you lived in the San Francisco Bay Area (and maybe you do).  We've got a fabric store with some really great options -- flames galore, about half a dozen options of dancing skeletons, the Virgin of Guadalupe, et cetera....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cmoore
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2005 10:46:53 PM »

I love it too! Great colours and points-and all that room for quilting... Cool
Yes lining up the repeats is a bit of a pain, it's not instant gratification in that respect. But it is a much quicker method than most ways for doing kaleidoscopic blocks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sunnyday
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2005 04:52:16 PM »

Wow, your quilt is so striking! I love the pinwheels, they remind me of these spinning fireworks that I loved when I was a kid. They stand out perfectly against the patchwork background.

Lisascenic, I'd love to know more about the fabric store you mentioned as I'll soon be in San Francisco for a short visit and I hope to collect some fabrics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lisascenic
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2005 06:21:31 PM »

Sunnyday -- the store I was referring to is Stone Mountain and Daughters in Berkeley
http://www.stonemountainfabric.com/

If you do come to Berkeley, you must, must must visit Lacis.  This is the most amazing shop you can imagine.  If there is a needle-craft that interests you, they'll have to tools.  If you want to spend a fortune on books, they'll help you out.  If you want anything at all pertaining to making lace, they've got it.  Pre-Columbian beads?  No problem? Chinese embroidery?  Got it.  Tanned bullfrog hides?  Yup, they're for sales. Plus, the most amazing collection of vintage clothing you'll ever drool under.  (You don't get to drool over them -- they're suspended from the ceiling.)  And then, there's a museum, as if the store wasn't enough of a visual adventure...
http://lacis.com/

Both are a fairly short walk from the Ashby BART station.  You won't be disappointed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cmoore
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2005 10:22:41 AM »

If you do come to Berkeley, you must, must must visit Lacis.

I think I would be willing to go there just to visit Lacis! The mail order is really good, but man to actually see everything...ah I'd never get out of there alive. Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Lighter Three-Cheese Mac
Chocolate Stout Cake Recipe
Green Eggs and Ham Omelet
Chicken Cassoulet with Fennel and Bacon Recipe
Bacon and Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Falafel without Frying
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...