A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,048
Currently Running With Scissors:
444 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ideas for Decorating Vintage 1940s Hats? (with picture)  (Read 1836 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tigralon
Tig Gooseberry Tartlet

~ living in a magical dollhouse ~

View Profile
« on: April 08, 2005 09:12:34 AM »

I recently bought these two hats at the thrift store, but now I'm having a bit of creative block and I'm not sure what to do with them.  They're nice but dull...both black velvet, with slightly torn veils.  I love hats so much that I still had to buy them! Wink 

I'd like to wear them, but they seem a bit boring right now (especially the little flat one), so I'm looking for decorating ideas of any and all kinds.  Feathers? Veils? Rhinestones? Ribbons?  What do you all think would look good?

Give my hats a makeover...they deserve to be fabulous!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"What is a television apparatus to man, who has only to shut his eyes to see the most inaccessible regions of the seen and the never seen, who has only to imagine in order to pierce through walls and cause all the planetary Baghdads of his dreams to rise from the dust."  - Salvador Dali
NellyPie

"I'm a princess NOT a policeman!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005 11:14:32 AM »

Hmm...I love 40's lines and it sounds like you still want to stay true to them. I would pick a really bright, wide netting, or several layers of tulle for a new veil. Then trim them in new feathers or a nice pin in similar matching colors. (Then you could match fishnet stockings with your hat in some way too! )

Hey how many vintage hats do you have? Would you be interested in a trade? I've got two really nice one's. One of them is a little white and navy straw 20's-style cloche that's too small for my big'ole tater. The other is a 40's-style felt hat (the kind that you pin to the back of your hair and let peek out over the front)with a fur stand up brim and really beautiful, but the boning in the brim  has been broken in one place and I haven't figured out how to fix it yet. I'd like someone to get some use out of them! I would be prepared to trade for just about anything, not just other hats. Tell me if you're interested... Or I guess if anyone else is interested let me know!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please go see my shop!
http://www.NellyPie.etsy.com
tigralon
Tig Gooseberry Tartlet

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005 01:52:14 PM »

Hmm...I love 40's lines and it sounds like you still want to stay true to them. I would pick a really bright, wide netting, or several layers of tulle for a new veil. Then trim them in new feathers or a nice pin in similar matching colors. (Then you could match fishnet stockings with your hat in some way too! )

Hey how many vintage hats do you have? Would you be interested in a trade? I've got two really nice one's. One of them is a little white and navy straw 20's-style cloche that's too small for my big'ole tater. The other is a 40's-style felt hat (the kind that you pin to the back of your hair and let peek out over the front)with a fur stand up brim and really beautiful, but the boning in the brim  has been broken in one place and I haven't figured out how to fix it yet. I'd like someone to get some use out of them! I would be prepared to trade for just about anything, not just other hats. Tell me if you're interested... Or I guess if anyone else is interested let me know!
Wow, I would definitely be interested in a trade!  Do you have any pictures I could see?  They sound really adorable.  Some styles look weird on my head, though, so I'd just want to check out a pic.  Wink  What would you be interested in trading for?  I could stencil a t-shirt for you, or if you prefer, I bake really good cookies (peanut butter, oatmeal raisin, chocolate chip, etc.).  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"What is a television apparatus to man, who has only to shut his eyes to see the most inaccessible regions of the seen and the never seen, who has only to imagine in order to pierce through walls and cause all the planetary Baghdads of his dreams to rise from the dust."  - Salvador Dali
NellyPie

"I'm a princess NOT a policeman!"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005 04:17:38 PM »

Oh crap. My hats are at my parents house (I'm a college student). I'm not going to be at home until the first or second week in May! No pictures until then either! I'm so sorry! I forgot, I hate that crap. BUT I definitely WILL get back with you then if you're still interested.

I can describe them and I searched forever on the internet to find pics of similar shapes.

The straw one is so freakin pimp! I really wish I could wear it. I can get a measurement once I get home! There's a label, but I forgot the designer name. I looked it up once and the designer is a derby hatmaker from way back. It's work a good bit to me 'cause I like it so much and because of the condition and tag. It's shaped pretty much like this one:

but like this crossed with a fedora. The top straw is navy, this bottom/brim straw is white. and the brim turns up on the sides to show off the white. Theres a stiff skinny navy feather attached to one side and the top is caved in a bit in the classic fedora way, but it still fit really close to your head.

The other one is really nice, brownish red fur (I don't know what kind, but it's so soft!) in really good condition. It looks like a classier, softer, less extreme version of this:

The front fur part is not nearly as tall though. (And the fur is much darker and not bushy) BUT the little bit of boneing that holds it up is broken in one place, so it comes to a point at the top instead of being rounded. Easily fixable with a wire though.

Anyway. I'm so sorry I forgot! I really would like to work something out.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009 03:50:43 PM by jungrrl - Reason: tried to fix pictures » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please go see my shop!
http://www.NellyPie.etsy.com
tigralon
Tig Gooseberry Tartlet

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005 06:19:39 PM »

Oh, they sound so cute!  And thanks for taking the time to find even those "similar-to" photos.  I'm sure I could fix the broken one, if I messed around with it long enough.  Wink
I'm in no hurry, so May would be fine with me.  I still leave stuff at my parents' house and then realize months later.  Cheesy  Just let me know what you'd be interested in getting in return for the trade...  Actually, just today I bought some awesome fabric printed with comic-book type images of the Fonz and his friends!  Words don't do it justice, but I'll post a photo and if you like funky crazy fabric like that, I could make you a Fonz purse or a Fonz necktie or belt or...?

P.S.  I completely forgot to mention, but thanks for the good idea of coloured tulle!  For some reason, that hadn't occurred to me (I'm really stumped on these hats, for some weird reason), and I love the idea of coordinating with fishnets.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

missgeekcore
Duchess of geeks.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2005 06:46:36 PM »

I really like the idea of doing a wildly bright netting to replace the torn older stuff. I think it would be fun to make some great interchangeable pins to coordinate. Plus, you could use some of the wilder feathers and sequins. Sort of 40s with a twist.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tigralon
Tig Gooseberry Tartlet

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2005 05:59:43 AM »

I really like the idea of doing a wildly bright netting to replace the torn older stuff. I think it would be fun to make some great interchangeable pins to coordinate. Plus, you could use some of the wilder feathers and sequins. Sort of 40s with a twist.
Ooh, interchangeable sequined pins to coordinate with different outfits...that would be so easy and yet so chic (in a sort of really gaudy way Cheesy).  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
What do I need to make digital prints at home?
How can I share digital pictures with friends and family?
How do I get digital pictures onto my computer?
Should I use red eye reduction?
What quality settings should I set my camera to?
Latest Blog Articles
Book Review: Handmade for Baby
Tute Tuesday: Warm Those Piggies!
Which Came First?

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...