A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 299,181
Currently Running With Scissors:
606 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Simple tube headbands  (Read 720 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ch4ttyc4thy
« on: July 23, 2009 03:57:07 PM »

So I want to make a few super simple tube headbands (like the kind that everyone were in 3rd grade) and I am having the hardest time ever doing so. I've only been sewing for 2 months so excuse my lack of skills. The tutorials online have been for double-sided cutie-pie headbands, but I want straight up, no fuss, cotton-knit, tube instructions. Help for a beginner would be much appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
N30Nb100d
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2009 06:44:30 PM »

Do you mean the kind that are like sweatbands (except a different type of fabric)?
I don't know of a tutorial, but I will try to explain.
1. Cut a strip of your knit that is about 20 inches long plus seam allowance (whatever you like to use) and double the width you want the headband to be (for instance 5 inches, which will give you a band that is 2.5 in. wide in the end) plus seam allowance. I measured a headband to get these numbers - you may need to make it longer or shorter depending on how loose/tight you want the headband. The fabric should stretch in the longer direction.
2. Sew the two short ends together (with the right side visible - wrong side touching wrong side) to get a loop of fabric.
3. Fold the loop in half the long way and sew the long sides together, with the right side on the inside of the tube. Don't sew it all the way closed though, leave an inch or two (however much you're comfortable with) open so that you can turn the tube.
4. Flip the tube inside out (technically outside out) through the opening and hand stitch the opening closed.
- if you're just using a regular machine for all this, make sure you sew with a zig zag or stretch stitch so the stitches don't snap when you stretch the headband.
I hope this is the kind of headband you meant Smiley Let me know if any of the steps don't make sense... I read over this too many times and have managed to confuse myself about the wrong/right sides of the fabric, so I'm not sure if it's completely accurate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soorawn
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2009 04:30:35 AM »

A variation, for if you want to try:  I make the tube, two or three inches shorter than needed, and for the rest I add a length of wide elastic band that I attach to the ends.  This way I have a band that fits all sizes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects for 2011:  15/50
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Going Brunette: What to Know Before Embracing the Dark Side
How To Clip in A One Piece Hair Extension
Exclusive: Emmy Rossum Spills Hair and Beauty Secrets
NYFW Gives Us 3 Low-Maintenance Hair Trends
Try Out Bangs Without Making The Cut!
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...