A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
387 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Help with online knitting circle  (Read 616 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dan hemsley
« on: April 08, 2005 07:31:29 AM »

HI,
IV been working on a project over the internet since November. Itís had its ups and downs, now being on of its downs. The project consists of forming a random knitting circle from a number of forums, enlisting many people who have never met to join together in one project. I have begun to swap knitted patches between people I have met. Iím looking to create a large blanket for my final Art Degree show at Winchester School of art. Each patch is made from a different person. This blanket is being hung on a large wall. On the opposite wall will be printouts off all my emails, postings and letters that have come about through the communication of this knitting circle, also a map showing the locations off all the people who have taken part. Recently I have been accused of being a scam artist; I have spent the last 24 hours trying to calm down one individual who has taken it upon herself to warn everyone of my project. I put this down to her trying to live a dream on the internet, behaving like this is all an episode of NYPD BLUE. I donít get it.

But anyway Iím looking for more participants to join; anyone interested can request more information by replying to this of emailing me on dan.hemsley@talk21.com. A lot of this project is surviving on trust and with the final deadline looming I have realise the work still to be done. All those who take part will receive a patch in return for their work, an invitation to the final show, thatís if youíre local, and a letter at the end containing all information to the project, photos of the final piece and a huge thank you. If anyone has trouble with postage and packaging then I will pay.

So if anyone feels like they want to join please contact me, I will be truly grateful,

Thank you, Dan       
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Scarlett
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2005 11:47:17 AM »

Sounds neat!  As a point of clarification, are you asking people to send you knitted swatches that you will then assemble into your large blanket ... or are you sending the blanket from person to person and asking each to add on to it?  It seems that the latter would be more difficult logistically.   

My husband is a performance and conceptual artist, so I appreciate this sort of thing.   Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

worthwhilegirl
my metal baby

We can't all be girl scouts Millie.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005 03:35:02 PM »

I would be cool with helping! One of my good friends is a performance artist. He moved from atl to cali to attend calarts. PM me with any info & I will see if I can assist you! Good luck working out the mess- the internet is a wacky place Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.betweenstupidandclever.com
yep I got a knitting blog

-It's making me blue, Pantone 292....
Ms.Snit

I knit therefore I am...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2005 08:22:31 PM »

I've actually participated in something like this before as part of a show at the Toronto Alternative Art Fair last year.  The only difference was that each contributor made a square in whatever fibre and with whatever kind of stitches they wanted.  Most of the squares were made by sewers in the end.  My square was the lone knitted item on the quilt.

I just sifted through my email archives and found the original call-out for participants from"The Westside Stitches Couture Club", the group responsible for the correspondence quilt project.  If you're interested, have a quick read (but don't respond, as the project is in the past now) :

THE WESTSIDE STITCHES COUTURE CLUB is seeking stitchers/artists/fashioners interested in participating in a correspondence quilt project, part
of "SORRY FOR THE INCONVINIENCE" an exhibit, curated by Emelie Chhangur and Alissa Firth-Eagland, premiering at the upcoming Junction Arts Festival.

If you are interested and would like more information please reply with your mailing address to: pissinginparis@hotmail.com

W.S.C.C. will send you a Very Special submission invitation package that outlines your process of induction into the Quilt. (You, in turn, will send us a 12"x12" fabric square, embellished as you desire, to be joined to other submissions over the course of the exhibition .)

May the Stitch Bond You.

- The W.S.C.C

I'd be interested in helping you out.  I wasn't pleased with the swatch I contributed to the project (I think it was rather ugly), so this will serve as a sort of "do over" for me.  When is your deadline for receiving completed swatches?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.spunmag.com - Not just knittin' pretty
kimski
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2005 12:46:48 AM »

I'm interested.

I live in Australia though, so I could be too far away.

Scans of knitting can look good though. I could always send a scan of what I did.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hillsmel
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2005 01:42:04 AM »

Yeah definetly interested. From the Uk... postage will be fine.

Will email later.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tease My Needles
dan hemsley
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2005 05:28:16 AM »

Shocked   just wondering how everyone is getting on with the project?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Get the Most Out of Singing Lessons
How to Make a Scarecrow
How to Make an Easter Bonnet
How to Make a Hand-Painted Tie for Father’s Day
How to Make a Ghost Costume
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...