A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 309,334
Currently Running With Scissors:
506 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Baby / Toddler Summer Sleeping Bag  (Read 1820 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

nilmerg

I'm inspired by all your posts to craft some more

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 14, 2009 01:27:37 AM »

It's certainly not summer here in Australia Yet, but I thought that since I'm 30 week pregnant with #2 it might be an idea to get a head start this year. We have used sleeping bags for our little one since we brought her home from hospital (never one to be wrapped!). I bought the first summer one and then copied it so we had two. I then bought the winter ones because they are just too much hastle to make in my opinion....too much wadding stuffing or layers! Then I used the pattern from her 6-18 month winter bags to make her next set of summer bags. This winter she has shop bought bags again....but hey presto....copied to make her 18-36 month summer bags!

They are actually fairly easy to make, my friend (who is a much better seemstress than me) helped me to work out the simplest way to make them last year and I just rinced and repeated this year. I actually have to make a second one in the next couple of weeks, so if any one is interested in a tutorial / guide on how I make them let me know and I will take some pics. This bag is based on a 'Domaro' brand, but I have made gro-bag based designs in the past. As you can see from the picture, she is quite happy with her new sleeping bag. It's the first time she's had a girly bag...always gender neutral until now...but since we've been told that we should continue with the pink colour scheme with the next baby....!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010 09:28:46 PM by nilmerg » THIS ROCKS   Logged

michellesangel
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009 04:53:54 AM »

great idea putting the zip from the bottom!!! i wish someone had thought of this for my eczema child.. she was such a houdini at getting out of anything so she could scratch. we had a bought one with sleeves, just plain polar fleece with a ribb neck and wrists that i loved for my daughter, and the thing i liked most was the slit for the carseat/pram buckle. we actually had 2 but as the other didnt have the gap for the buckle it rarely got used. yours look wonderful and goodluck with #2 Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Vampira_666
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009 10:01:10 AM »

Very nice!!! I'd love a tute/guide on how to make them... I find the store bought ones to expencive so we've just been using blankets recently... which NEVER stay on, and now that Hubby insists that the A/C be put on through the night because he gets to warm.. I could really use these to keep DD warm!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~ Vampira_666 ~*
ONE HAPPY MOMMA
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009 10:34:50 AM »

Oh, please, please, please do a tutorial.  I've been thinking how I really need to do this also since my daughter never seems to stay in her blankets through the night, which inadvertantly causes her to wake up because she is cold.  I didn't know sleep sacks were made in such larger sizes, maybe because of where you live and the demand for them?  Thank you so much for sharing your work and thanks in advance for the tutorial!  Your sleep sack looks great by the way!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nilmerg

I'm inspired by all your posts to craft some more

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009 03:29:32 AM »

I made my second sleeping bag for my Daughter - peach and pink flowers this time and I also made a doll sleeping bag for her too. My parents are bringing her a doll for her birthday to coinside with the arrival of our new baby and I thought she would love to put her doll to bed in the same bag!

Sorry, I didn't get round to doing the tutorial. Will definately work on it for the future though.

michellesangel - I can't take credit for the zip at the bottom idea, it is part of the design that I copied, There is also the possibility for adding a zip cover at the bottom, but I figured that if she was smart enough to unzip herself then a little fabric cover and press-stud wasn't going to stop her! I hadn't thought to add the seatbelt hole, but we don't travel too much at night so It wouldn't be a feature we would use much. Easy to add if you wanted to though.

ONE HAPPY MOMMA - do you know, I think you can actually buy these in sizes up to 4-5 years. I personally think thats a bit old. These are the last bags that I'm going to make for my DD, I think after this summer she will be old enough to live with a doona/duvet and blankets.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2010 09:30:35 PM by nilmerg » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ONE HAPPY MOMMA
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009 03:48:27 PM »

Wow, I didn't know they made sleep sacks in such large sizes!  4-5 years?  My daughter is about 11 months but she can wear some 3-4T clothing because she is so tall!  Congrats on your upcoming baby!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nikschaf
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009 05:27:50 PM »

That looks great!

For kids who are walking, you can actually make holes for the feet and attach cuffs.  I used the tops from some old socks to do that with a sleep sack I made for my toddler.  I'll bet you could use your exact same pattern, just leave two spaces open on the bottom seam for the feet, and sew on some rib knit cuffs (or use the tops of old socks like I did.)  The Halo Sleepsack for toddlers is where I got the idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2009 04:17:43 AM »

These are a great idea, they also look nice.  I hope there is a tute somewhere.  Thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Different Size Holes For Tree Skirts
How to Crochet Half Rainbow Borders
How to Crochet Leaves Part 1/6
How to Crochet Leaves Part 2/6
How to Crochet for Beginners
Latest Blog Articles
I Scream, You Scream...
Meatless Monday: Toddler Teething Cookies
@Home This Weekend: Art Caddy

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...