A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,449
Currently Running With Scissors:
714 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: on being very mismatched with a partner  (Read 11245 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LadybugsAndBumblebees
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2012 07:28:59 AM »

You're welcome! 

And you know what, I have received several package that have actually made me CRY, b/c of all the effort, thoughtfulness, and generosity that went into them, so you have that to look forward to as well!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
AmyLynn98
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2012 08:33:25 PM »

Oh yeah, I got one of these in the mini art quilt swap. My partner made me a wonderful R2-D2 quilt and sent me a picture of it while I was stuck at the Omaha airport for 1 1/2 days. I was already weepy from the 1 1/2 weeks I'd spent back home (my MIL passed away) and seeing that little "face" on the quilt, made by someone who only knew me from email, and who had never made an art quilt before, well...it just about did me in.  Shocked

You're welcome! 

And you know what, I have received several package that have actually made me CRY, b/c of all the effort, thoughtfulness, and generosity that went into them, so you have that to look forward to as well!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay me! My zombie garden gnome was named a 2013 Featured Project: Home Sweet Home: Interiors & Exteriors! Thanks for voting for him!

Check out my posts on Geek Crafts or at amylynn98.blogspot.com/
ivoryh1632
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2012 09:16:54 PM »

Also if you are feeling like quitting swapping, it can really help to just take a break from swapping for a few months. I was so fed up with some stuff that happened in a couple swaps, nothing big or anything my partners did intentionally it was just a lot of little stuff so i took a break for probably 6 months or so then did a smaller swap on a theme i really liked and it definately helped my feelings towards swapping, actually after that break was when i got inspired to start organizing and took on 2 partners in the swap i was organizing. so stepping away from the whole thing for a while can definatley help clear your mind of the bad experiences
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2012 08:08:32 AM »

That is very true - sometimes a break can help to change perspective, or help to refresh you.  Good point.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
rubylynns
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2012 04:41:54 AM »

I went through the same thing.  I have a few bad experiences lately and decided to change the swaps I do.  I am now sticking to the on-going, IVP'S and MAF that I can pick my partner, with a few smaller swaps here and there.  In being more selective, not just picking up every swap that kinda sounds fun, I am having a much better experience. Don't give up on swapping!  Its so much fun! I have made some awesome friends doing this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KimmyLynne82

I enjoy being a dame.

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2012 06:53:22 AM »

I have a thing with resurrecting old topics this week!  Roll Eyes

How would you handle a situation in which you signed up for a swap and when it was time for partners you learn that the organizer chose you based on what they wanted to make for you instead of pairing you with someone based on how compatible they were including allergies, likes, etc? I then learned another swapper said she (a multiple feline house) was paired with someone who was very allergic to cats.

I suppose it worked out alright for me in the end...but it still made me a little...I dunno...miffed, I suppose. I had another issue involving including DC on the package, but it belongs in a different topic that's probably old as the hills.

I don't want to be a jerk about it, but it left me feeling less than excited about this particular swap. Maybe it's just me...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~Kim~*
wists~ Swap Ideas on Pinterest~Blog

I <3 Personal Swaps!
Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2012 09:32:53 PM »

That happened to me once, where I am the one with the allergy and was paired with someone who has the allergen - I PM'd the organizer on partner day to point that out, and she arranged  a switching around of partners.  It was probably just overlooked.  Most people are flexible/reasonable.  For example, I probably would have stuck with it if the other person wasn't into making fibre crafts - but if they wanted to make something wearable with yarn or fabric, I may not have been able to use it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
ivoryh1632
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2012 10:24:29 PM »

i've had the same thing happen with me having an allergy and them having the allergen and another time they gave me someone in another country when i wasn't able to send international. both times i just wrote the organizer and they fixed it, it was just an oversight. when organizing those are the first things you're supposed to deal with and then worry abotu what people want. if you tell your organizer about it and they refuse to switch your partner then that's another issue and honestly i'd go to the help desk and tell a mod about that one cuz they shouldn't be pairing you with someone that will give you an allergic reaction
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlehajerika
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2012 10:34:49 PM »

I've been having a little bit of an issue with this recently. I signed up for a VERY large swap and the organizer paired me up with herself and we have very, very little in common. That doesn't bother me so much, I am ok with brainstorming, except that I feel like she didn't take time to really fill out her application and simply sent me a list of tv shows, movies and music that she likes. I am not a crafter that does much with things like that.

I guess it wouldn't bother me so much if the swap wasn't such a big one that involved so much time/money and I can't help but feel like if she hadn't been the organizer that her questionnaire wouldn't have gotten her into the swap at all! She did put us in a group of three (she is crafting for someone else, who is crafting for me) so maybe that shouldn't be such a big deal.

This is the first time I've been in a swap where I questioned the organizers dedication to it but it makes me want to say something. Should I say something to her? A moderator?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivoryh1632
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2012 10:57:08 PM »

anytime i get paired with someone that's got a very vague questionare like that i just send them a list of specific questions, usually people dont have a problem answering questions like that. now if you've been asking her stuff and she's not communicating, well then i'd say you might wanna think about contacting a moderator cuz that's a major issue especially for an organizer
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Play Ode to Joy in Violin
How to Play Old McDonald Had a Farm in Violin
How to Play Rocky Top on the Fiddle Violin
How to Play Silent Night on the Violin
Learn Devil Went Down to Georgia on Fiddle - Part 3
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...