A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,709
Currently Running With Scissors:
584 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: on being very mismatched with a partner  (Read 10872 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amybarnett
« on: July 13, 2009 09:28:43 PM »

Have you ever been horribly matched with a partner? I don't want to sound ungrateful but I seem to be in a situation where I have absolutely NO interest in anything my partner has ever made (I like functional and she makes frivolous).

I plan on following through and finishing the swap. Would you say something (to the mod OR partner) or just say a polite "thank you"? Be honest now.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009 09:48:30 PM by amybarnett » THIS ROCKS   Logged
missmuffcake

Attached to Matt with E600.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009 09:44:40 PM »

I have been in similar situations, like the organizer paired me with a smoking home & I am allergic to smoke...Or the person has a wish of something I could not make for her due to not knowing the craft...It kinda makes me wonder but I just try to go with it...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009 04:38:45 PM by missmuffcake » THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's more to life than books you know
                But not much more
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009 10:12:59 PM »

I've been in the situation and turned out very happy on both ends -- crafting for and receiving from.  I was challenged to make something I wouldn't normally make and it seemed like my partner was as well.  She sent me stuff I really liked and, honestly, I would have never expected from her looking at her portfolio.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
deadbathducky
Never let the sun set on an argument with a loved one you can fix.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009 12:51:14 AM »

i once got someone i thought i had nothing in common with.but  i also used it has a chance to try some new crafts id never done before and not only did i learn some cool new crafts but i made some items which i actually liked once i made them.Smiley maybe its just my opinion but sometimes its a nice change to make something completely different to what you usually do. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Remember my mistakes,
remember you can change,
Remember that it's up to you...
to go and shape your life into
one that's worth of remembering...
-RTGO!

www.craftsbykitty.w ordpress.com/
donniesgirl
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009 09:05:41 AM »

I really try to match people up with people as well as possible but honestly, sometimes you don't get that perfect partner for everyone and so you have to kind of match them up as best as possible.  I had a person allergic to cats in one of my current swaps & I made it very clear to her partners to please make sure they had removed any & all pet hair prior to mailing.  And I put her in that group because of their common interests.  And creating "pet free" groups didn't guarantee the partners would have anything in common.

It also helps to be specific with the types of crafts you don't want to receive.  Like I always put that I am not a nick nack person because I, like you, prefer functional items.  Love crafts, but not clutter.  And as an organizer, I always try to take into account the types of crafts people want & don't want when matching people up.  But like I said, sometimes there is not the perfect partner for everyone because I've seen some pretty diverse questionaires.  Smiley

I'd go with it & maybe your partner will surprise you.  I enjoy being partnered up with people who have some different interests because I can craft things that I myself may not like or use, but that I think are interesting.  

For next time, you might ask the organizer prior to joining the swap how they plan to choose partners.  Because sometimes, organizers do it randomly.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009 09:07:05 AM by donniesgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ThreadOrYarn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009 10:39:33 AM »

If it's not too late, could you mention to your partner than you like/want functional things? (Of course, if send out is tomorrow, then yeah, it's too late to mention it Cheesy ) But like MissMuffCake said, you may be surprised. It just depends on how much your partner considers YOUR likes/wants instead of her comfort zone.

And no matter how much you do, or don't, have in common, a polite thank you is always good Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eloise24
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009 04:31:45 PM »

As an organiser, I took the time to carefully read all the questionnaires and match people up following country of residence and allergies/aversions first, then interests and what I could gather of their abilities/age/tastes. There were times when I had to deal with very short questionnaires that barely told me anything about the participant, or the odd people for whom it was hard to find a match. These people might have found that I mismatched them. I did try my best however!

As a swap participant, it has happened that I was put with people with whom I had very little in common. I seriously felt that the organiser had matched people up completely at random! Perhaps she actually did, but this risk is part of the game.

Still, I tried to understand what kind of things my partners would like and craft to their tastes, as best I could. I hope they liked what I did, or if they did not, that they found somebody to whom to hand over the items.

In a few cases, I was told that one of their family members or friends had claimed for his own something I had made and was jealously keeping it. And I must say that there are times when some of my friends fell in love with some of the things I received but did not like much (and some even threw jealous hissy fits!)... as long as someone ends up caring and loving the crafted items, all is well, I say.

So even if you receive decorative baubles, how about handing them over to somebody who would appreciate them? Or give them a try, they might grown on you. A bauble is a bauble, but one made specifically for you is different.

And, you know, there were times when I was seriously let down by participants from whom I thought there would be a great chemistry...

« Last Edit: July 16, 2009 04:33:30 PM by Eloise24 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

amybarnett
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009 07:31:17 PM »

Hmm....I will let you guys know how it turns out......
THIS ROCKS   Logged
haroldlovesmaude
Yossarian Lives!

I see the fire, I see the end.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009 10:30:09 PM »

I have had this problem before, not really with not being able to craft the things, but not having anything in common.

I haven't ever complained and I just have to be more careful that I am catering to their likes instead of things that would suit me. It's certainly easier for me to craft if I have the same style/interests as my partner since I can sort of gauge if they're going to like it based on whether I like it. But if my partner has different likes/styles it's a bit difficult for me to gauge what they are going to like or not.

It's also not as fun to craft for someone who has different tastes... my imagination sort of runs amuck if my partner has similar interests to me, but it's a little tougher to come up with ideas if they don't share interests.

It is a little disheartening to get excited about a swap and then be partnered with someone who doesn't really seem compatible. But I will say that I would rather have an incompatible partner than one who half-asses all the crafts they send when you worked really hard on your crafts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They had not brains enough to be introverted and repressed." -Catch-22
etsy shop & faves
guineverefree

I love happy endings, they are so rare. - Aro

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009 12:58:24 PM »

I've only organized once but it gives me a new respect for those people who do it on a regular basis! Like was mentioned before shipping preferences and allergies have to come first and after that you pair up people the best you can. Some partnerships matched really well and some I kind of had to guess!

I hope it all turns out great. I'm a functional person too and have had partners who seemed more knickknack inclined and they turned out fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw the Nightcrawler from the X Men
How to Draw Wonder Woman
How to Draw Psyclocke from the X Men
How to Draw Super Man
How to Draw Son Goku from Drago Ball Z
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...