A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 307,890
Currently Running With Scissors:
518 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Screw ups  (Read 1130 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: May 14, 2016 03:45:36 PM »

Do you count screw ups and do overs in your hour calculations for size of craft?  Or do you only count the perfect hours?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We can have anything we want, because we can make it." - RovingAnarchist

http://ernestthesiger.org/
http://immenseminiatures.com/
Smeddley

« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016 07:40:10 AM »

I rarely have a craft that could even fit into the old "small" designation, or even the new one I'm seeing, but that's because I do a lot of crochet and knitting and even small amis take quite a while (especially if there's a lot of sewing together).  So I tend not to go with the time idea, because, while some small crocheted things might take me 4-5 hours, they seriously don't feel like a "large", because they're just... a little crochet thing!  Ditto with cross-stitch, I'm not very fast and even a small piece (like for the front of a needlebook) would take me hours and hours.

But see, that raises another question for me - I'm a slow cross-stitcher, but a fairly fast crocheter and knitter (I'm a picker, not a thrower).  Something that would take me an hour to crochet might take my friend two hours, while she could whip out the cross-stitch piece that takes me two hours in forty-five minutes.

So in the end I think I always try to well-exceed the crafting time guidelines, because I worry someone will be like, "huh, I could have done this in half an hour, how can she call that a medium?!" and wouldn't count do-overs because it doesn't show in the final (well, in quality it might, but my partner wouldn't know that!) and I'm paranoid about that.

(But I've seen - and received - the things you send, and I can't imagine you have to worry about that!  Everything you do seems like an amazing large!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ludi

May the Ghost Squid be with you.

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2016 01:29:57 PM »

Thank you.   Kiss   I'm generally very slow, so most things I make fall into the "stupnormous" category for time.  I'm actually keeping a time chart on my current project, just to see how long it takes to make something relatively simple-looking.  I had to start over on part of it (wrong color), so I've decided to count that time in the total.  But if it doesn't come up to the minimum hours without the screw-up, I'll have to make a more elaborate thing....

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"We can have anything we want, because we can make it." - RovingAnarchist

http://ernestthesiger.org/
http://immenseminiatures.com/
RovingAnarchist
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016 06:33:46 AM »

Taking the variables of experience and speed into account always seems to make item size calculations a bit too difficult, so I've taken the route that if the materials more or less add up to the suggested cost, that's what I'm going with. I almost always go way overboard with the hours invested, because that's what I like to do. If the idea I had for my partner will take me 15 hours, and I happen to have 15 hours, then I don't care if the swap calls for a medium. I just want to make them happy.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I carry a bag that says FREE KNITTING LESSONS on my daily transit commute, & give a little hands-on tutorial to anyone who asks. They get a starter kit with needles, enough cotton yarn to make a plain dishcloth and a set of instructions. Swaps/donations for materials welcome!
puzzled-penguin
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016 12:56:00 PM »

I kind of just go by 'feel' which I know is a terrible measure. Usually I decide by considering the time factor and effort/ difficultly. A cross-stitch might take me 6 hours or so but if I was following a pre-made pattern while watching t.v. I'd never think of it as a large. Other items might take a lot more focus or involve a new technique that challenges me, this would affect how I judge the item. A bit airy-fairy I'm afraid. I also agree with RovingAnarchist that if there's an idea I want to try, I'll disregard the points system to give my partner something they like and I enjoy making.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Averia

Floppsy

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2016 09:53:54 AM »

It is hard to count hand stitching time as regular crafting time. I would be doing it whether I was swapping or not. It is sort of like therapy time. I just like to do it. I have done stitching projects for swaps that have taken over 100 hours, but I did it because it was a project I wanted to do. My current project is going to end up being at least 40-50 at the rate it is going, but it sure wont look like it when it is done. At least not to anyone who doesn't stitch themselves.

Back to the original question though... I don't think I would count screw up time, but I wouldn't mind if a partner did. I love the idea of someone trying something new to them just because they know I like it and they want to try, but I don't want them to ever stress and think they need to make something perfect or spend time they don't have on it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sloth003

i still have all my marbles.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2016 10:45:22 PM »

I'm a quilter. Sometimes just selecting fabric takes 3+ hours  Wink. But like has been said. They are my hours and I have chosen to spend them.

So I guess. I don't count hours. Or material cost. When factoring swaps I try to make the thing I want to make for someone to the best of my skills.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Stupid men are often capable of things the clever would not dare to contemplate- Terry Pratchett
Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016 06:42:02 AM »

I stopped counting hours - I just make what feels right for the person.  Like that beaded sushi I made a few years ago - there were multiple pieces and bead-weaving takes hours - it felt like an extra large.  But I really wanted to make that and a large chunk of my enjoyment is the process of making and the therapeutic value of it.

So for larger swaps, I don't think about.  All I want is that my partner puts thought and care into their package as well.

As for screw up time - well, I often try to incorporate the screw ups into the item or into another item - it's not a mistake, it was done with creative intent Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Inspiration Everywhere
Tute Tuesday: Happy Little Tooth
Life is a Fairy Tale

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...