A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 300,960
Currently Running With Scissors:
412 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: on being very mismatched with a partner  (Read 11863 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

amybarnett
« on: July 13, 2009 09:28:43 PM »

Have you ever been horribly matched with a partner? I don't want to sound ungrateful but I seem to be in a situation where I have absolutely NO interest in anything my partner has ever made (I like functional and she makes frivolous).

I plan on following through and finishing the swap. Would you say something (to the mod OR partner) or just say a polite "thank you"? Be honest now.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009 09:48:30 PM by amybarnett » THIS ROCKS   Logged
missmuffcake

Spicy but sweet!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009 09:44:40 PM »

I have been in similar situations, like the organizer paired me with a smoking home & I am allergic to smoke...Or the person has a wish of something I could not make for her due to not knowing the craft...It kinda makes me wonder but I just try to go with it...
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009 04:38:45 PM by missmuffcake » THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's more to life than books you know
                But not much more
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009 10:12:59 PM »

I've been in the situation and turned out very happy on both ends -- crafting for and receiving from.  I was challenged to make something I wouldn't normally make and it seemed like my partner was as well.  She sent me stuff I really liked and, honestly, I would have never expected from her looking at her portfolio.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
deadbathducky
Never let the sun set on an argument with a loved one you can fix.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009 12:51:14 AM »

i once got someone i thought i had nothing in common with.but  i also used it has a chance to try some new crafts id never done before and not only did i learn some cool new crafts but i made some items which i actually liked once i made them.Smiley maybe its just my opinion but sometimes its a nice change to make something completely different to what you usually do. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Remember my mistakes,
remember you can change,
Remember that it's up to you...
to go and shape your life into
one that's worth of remembering...
-RTGO!

www.craftsbykitty.wordpress.com/
donniesgirl
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009 09:05:41 AM »

I really try to match people up with people as well as possible but honestly, sometimes you don't get that perfect partner for everyone and so you have to kind of match them up as best as possible.  I had a person allergic to cats in one of my current swaps & I made it very clear to her partners to please make sure they had removed any & all pet hair prior to mailing.  And I put her in that group because of their common interests.  And creating "pet free" groups didn't guarantee the partners would have anything in common.

It also helps to be specific with the types of crafts you don't want to receive.  Like I always put that I am not a nick nack person because I, like you, prefer functional items.  Love crafts, but not clutter.  And as an organizer, I always try to take into account the types of crafts people want & don't want when matching people up.  But like I said, sometimes there is not the perfect partner for everyone because I've seen some pretty diverse questionaires.  Smiley

I'd go with it & maybe your partner will surprise you.  I enjoy being partnered up with people who have some different interests because I can craft things that I myself may not like or use, but that I think are interesting.  

For next time, you might ask the organizer prior to joining the swap how they plan to choose partners.  Because sometimes, organizers do it randomly.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009 09:07:05 AM by donniesgirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ThreadOrYarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2009 10:39:33 AM »

If it's not too late, could you mention to your partner than you like/want functional things? (Of course, if send out is tomorrow, then yeah, it's too late to mention it Cheesy ) But like MissMuffCake said, you may be surprised. It just depends on how much your partner considers YOUR likes/wants instead of her comfort zone.

And no matter how much you do, or don't, have in common, a polite thank you is always good Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eloise24
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2009 04:31:45 PM »

As an organiser, I took the time to carefully read all the questionnaires and match people up following country of residence and allergies/aversions first, then interests and what I could gather of their abilities/age/tastes. There were times when I had to deal with very short questionnaires that barely told me anything about the participant, or the odd people for whom it was hard to find a match. These people might have found that I mismatched them. I did try my best however!

As a swap participant, it has happened that I was put with people with whom I had very little in common. I seriously felt that the organiser had matched people up completely at random! Perhaps she actually did, but this risk is part of the game.

Still, I tried to understand what kind of things my partners would like and craft to their tastes, as best I could. I hope they liked what I did, or if they did not, that they found somebody to whom to hand over the items.

In a few cases, I was told that one of their family members or friends had claimed for his own something I had made and was jealously keeping it. And I must say that there are times when some of my friends fell in love with some of the things I received but did not like much (and some even threw jealous hissy fits!)... as long as someone ends up caring and loving the crafted items, all is well, I say.

So even if you receive decorative baubles, how about handing them over to somebody who would appreciate them? Or give them a try, they might grown on you. A bauble is a bauble, but one made specifically for you is different.

And, you know, there were times when I was seriously let down by participants from whom I thought there would be a great chemistry...

« Last Edit: July 16, 2009 04:33:30 PM by Eloise24 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

amybarnett
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2009 07:31:17 PM »

Hmm....I will let you guys know how it turns out......
THIS ROCKS   Logged
haroldlovesmaude
Yossarian Lives!

I see the fire, I see the end.

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2009 10:30:09 PM »

I have had this problem before, not really with not being able to craft the things, but not having anything in common.

I haven't ever complained and I just have to be more careful that I am catering to their likes instead of things that would suit me. It's certainly easier for me to craft if I have the same style/interests as my partner since I can sort of gauge if they're going to like it based on whether I like it. But if my partner has different likes/styles it's a bit difficult for me to gauge what they are going to like or not.

It's also not as fun to craft for someone who has different tastes... my imagination sort of runs amuck if my partner has similar interests to me, but it's a little tougher to come up with ideas if they don't share interests.

It is a little disheartening to get excited about a swap and then be partnered with someone who doesn't really seem compatible. But I will say that I would rather have an incompatible partner than one who half-asses all the crafts they send when you worked really hard on your crafts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"They had not brains enough to be introverted and repressed." -Catch-22
etsy shop & faves
guineverefree

I love happy endings, they are so rare. - Aro

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009 12:58:24 PM »

I've only organized once but it gives me a new respect for those people who do it on a regular basis! Like was mentioned before shipping preferences and allergies have to come first and after that you pair up people the best you can. Some partnerships matched really well and some I kind of had to guess!

I hope it all turns out great. I'm a functional person too and have had partners who seemed more knickknack inclined and they turned out fine.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pearliepie

I'm a llama! And I like it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009 10:06:28 AM »

I like being "mismatched"! But, I join swap as a personal challenge. I like to try new things and having a partner makes me work really hard to learn the new skill well and quickly. For my last swap I made a zombie quilt. That's something I NEVER would have dreamed up for myself, but it ended up being one of the coolest things I've ever made, and my partner loved it. I was proud of it because I went way outside my comfort zone to create the finished product.

Perhaps it would help you to think of your "mismatched" swap as a personal challenge. A way for you to grow as an artist in a different direction, a way to step outside your comfort zone? From personal experience, I can tell you it feels awesome when you succeed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I dream of a house covered with your art, and would love a personal swap. Pm me if you'd like to spread the crafty love! I also need blue fabric scraps for a scrap quilt!

Swaps:
amybarnett
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2009 07:10:26 AM »

I don't want to sound smug but this isn't really a matter of lacking confidence in myself but lacking confidence in my assigned partner. I would feel completely guilty if I didn't honestly appreciate what she made for me. In the back of my mind I feel like I will end up saying "Thank you ma'am, but I REALLY don't need a burnt orange acrylic yarn doily." and throwing it in the back of the closet until I can come up with the courage to throw it out.

(of course I wouldn't SAY that to her.....I would say a nick "thanks!" and move on)

I only have 800 sq ft of living space and every inch of it is put to good use....I just don't keep things that I don't use/like/want. I think this is just a matter of guilt because I know she will be wasting her time on me...

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pearliepie

I'm a llama! And I like it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009 04:11:34 PM »

Ahhh! I totally understand that problem. Never mind my advice then Smiley I guess the only thing to do is tell your partner what you just told us and then hope for the best. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I dream of a house covered with your art, and would love a personal swap. Pm me if you'd like to spread the crafty love! I also need blue fabric scraps for a scrap quilt!

Swaps:
Lo{ve}
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2009 10:52:21 PM »

my advice is just don't doubt them until you receive, as people can surprise you. also, if you receive something that you really do not enjoy, try your best to think of someone who would appreciate it and re-gift it to a better home!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Antidigger
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012 01:12:08 AM »

I know this is resurrecting a dead thread, but I'd like people's opinions on telling an organiser about the mismatch. I'd like to give feedback to the organiser, but I want to do it in a tactful and understanding manner. I know (not by personal experience) that it is very hard indeed to organise a swap, but in all seriousness, I've been advised to flake: NOT something I will do, but it has made me think that I really ought to say something. After all, maybe nothing could have been done about the partnering, but if it could, perhaps it may reduce future flakers.

I am regarding it as a challenge, I have learned the first new skill required for the swap, but the second is coming so slowly that I won't be able to use it. This means another email to my partner, letting them know I can't do what is wanted. I can make substitutions, but the point is I won't be able to please my partner. The worst of it is I'm sure my partner is going through all the same anxieties, I've tried to be as open and as generous as I can, rejigging my requests for their talents and saying I'll be happy with whatever they send, but I get unhappy vibes coming back at me (not unhappy with me, but the situation).

On second thoughts I think I'll delay sending this until the swap is finished, both me and my partner are trying really hard, I don't want to make it any harder on them.

Update: At the end of my swap, I still feel really bad about it and disinclined to do another for a while. Should I say anything? If so, how can I make it helpful feedback, not just whining?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
ivoryh1632
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012 03:38:19 AM »

Antidigger- I've only organized one swap so far and becasue I've been mismatched before I spent forever trying to make sure that everyone got a good partner. I even when and looked up pics of the kind of stuff everyone made so I could match skill levels and styles.

Personally I wouldn't be offended if I was organizing a swap and someone let me know about the mismatch. I'd actually prefer it so that I could put that in the person's feedback. Now that being said, I also think its very important to communicate with your partner during the swap about this kind of stuff, especially at the beginging. If you did that and they never wrote you back or ignored what you said then that should definately be brought to the organizer's attention for feedback purposes since communication's a huge part of the swap process.

But I think that sometimes stuff like that just happens, I know exactly how you feel though, I had a couple bad experiences last year and just got put off of doing swaps for a while becasue of it.

I would bring it up to the organizer though, just becuase some people do that thing where they're gonna make what they want regardless of what their partner has to say and I do think that should be taken into account for future swaps. But just be honest when you tell your organizer "hey, I don't mean to sound whiney and complain about everything but this really bothered me and I think its importand you know....."

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ThreadOrYarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2012 05:18:17 AM »

Personally I wouldn't be offended if I was organizing a swap and someone let me know about the mismatch. I'd actually prefer it so that I could put that in the person's feedback.

Just curious, but what comment would you put in the feedback because of the mismatch?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivoryh1632
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2012 12:36:38 AM »

Hmmm don't know unless I was in the situation, ya know, but probably something about their partner being extremely disatisfied due to a lack of communication. If nothing else, I think other swappers should know if the person doesn't communicate during a swap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ThreadOrYarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2012 10:51:33 AM »

probably something about their partner being extremely disatisfied due to a lack of communication. If nothing else, I think other swappers should know if the person doesn't communicate during a swap.

yeah I can understand a 'didn't communicate' comment when that happens, no matter how matched or mismatched the partners are. I guess I misunderstood this part of the earlier post --

someone let me know about the mismatch. I'd actually prefer it so that I could put that in the person's feedback.

I thought that meant that a feedback comment would be left because the partners were mismatched, and I couldn't figure out what/why a partner mismatch would need a feedback comment.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivoryh1632
« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2012 03:33:50 AM »

Sorry, sometimes I get on here late at night and my fingers don't always say what my brain was thinking  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Antidigger
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012 03:07:13 AM »

I think both of us tried really hard in this swap to please the other, but. There was adequate communication, I can't complain about that, but.

Sigh, my mind is full of buts.  I'll pm the organiser when I can get everything said in a manner that wouldn't offend me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Look twice, buy once. Nooooo
Look twice, decide I can make one instead.
World.Of.Hoard-Craft
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2012 01:14:42 PM »

i recently joined my first swap (YAY) and was really panicked when i read my partner's questionaire. she likes natural and neutral crafts and colors, I inhereted my grandma's glitter gene LOL. BUT I think my swap partner did a super job in that neither of us has allergies (she has a dog, I have a sometimes-cat).
So, really, the crafting part is becoming a ton of fun for me. I am trying colors and styles I never would have thought of BECAUSE my partner has different tastes.
I think if you're paired up with a more decorative crafter but you like more functional stuff, tell them. Maybe they can make you a pretty shelf to put your goodies on, or some nice embroidered dishtowels. Sort of a middle ground. Then even if it turns out you really can't use it at least the effort was there? or maybe there's a non-home item you'd like, a hat or purse, that can be functional and funky.
I'm sure its difficult to pair up swappers. The swappers themselves might be able to figure out what they can make each other if they met in the middle.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my Blog for crafty inspiration
http://worldofhoardcraft.blogspot.com/
Cherrylime

I have sewn for the cows and they were pleased.

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 15, 2012 10:41:47 AM »

It's always such a craps shot. I've had a swap where the partner and I seemed excellently paired and then, when I received, it was ... less excellent (and if you're one of my former partners and reading this - don't worry, it wasn't you! Smiley ). Then I had one where I was certain it would be a disaster and instead I got the most amazing stuff. I've given up on trying to predict the outcome.

I do get stressed on my end when a partner is so unlike me. I may think something I've made is really excellent but will she? It's not like I'd make something that's say, shabby chic for someone who's into ultra modern, sleek stuff but what if my take on ultra modern sucks because it's not something I "get?"

I don't know if there's a good solution. Getting a new partner would require at least two pairs to realize they're incompatible, communicate early, and then be compatible with the new partners. Plus less craft time. And I don't envy the swap organizers for their task - I'm sure in every swap there's the temptation, after hours of trying to get the pieces to fit, to just throw the names in a hat and let luck do the picking.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Home Depot is my happy place.
My Pinterest
Currently obsessed with cables and quilts
ivoryh1632
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2012 12:00:31 AM »

. And I don't envy the swap organizers for their task - I'm sure in every swap there's the temptation, after hours of trying to get the pieces to fit, to just throw the names in a hat and let luck do the picking.

hahahahaha, i've only organized once and luckily it was a fairly small group and i had extra time on my hands so i was able to take the time to go through everyone's posted projects and match styles/skill levels that way but you have no idea how bad i wanted to throw them all in a hat when i was down to the last 3 people that i couldnt' get to fit and then my sister sat there the whole time trying to convince me to do just that lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gotgrey

You are, which ever beast you choose to feed

Right and wrong are just words, it's what you do

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2012 02:47:19 PM »

I've only organized once.  Luckily for me, the group was small.  Everybody fell together quite easily.  But, because of 1 person, the swap dragged on and on.  I had to put a call out for a swap angel.  I found one quickly, and she sent a wonderful angel package quickly.  But, because of all the stress, I will never again organize a swap.  It just isn't worth it.  My only bright spots in that swap were: I made a new friend/the swap angel, I had LOTS of help from my co-organizer, and everybody was happy w/what they received.  I've been very mismatched before.  It made the swaps stressful and uncomfortable for me.  But, I soldiered on, and sent great packages any how, because that is what every one of my partners deserve, a great package, no matter how I feel it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AmyLynn98
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2012 10:47:53 AM »

I'll be honest...I'm thinking I may be done participating in the swaps. I signed up on CRAFTSTER to do CRAFTING swaps, and I keep getting a ton of store bought items that I could buy on my own. Most of those bought items are kind of weird to send to an adult so I pass those onto my  niece. Plus, one recent swap included an item that was used (no big deal, as I'm into upcycling myself) but it was dirty and smeary and looked like wet, dirty fingers had been all over it and then dried like that.  Angry Even my husband looked at the items and said I got screwed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay me! My zombie garden gnome was named a 2013 Featured Project: Home Sweet Home: Interiors & Exteriors! Thanks for voting for him!

Check out my posts on Geek Crafts or at amylynn98.blogspot.com/
AmyLynn98
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2012 10:49:58 AM »

See, THIS is why I do the swaps...to learn or practice something new. I'm not a painter but I did a painting for a swap and I loved the damn thing and I'm my own worst critic. I want to be a better painter so that's why I chose that project to do.

I like being "mismatched"! But, I join swap as a personal challenge. I like to try new things and having a partner makes me work really hard to learn the new skill well and quickly. For my last swap I made a zombie quilt. That's something I NEVER would have dreamed up for myself, but it ended up being one of the coolest things I've ever made, and my partner loved it. I was proud of it because I went way outside my comfort zone to create the finished product.

Perhaps it would help you to think of your "mismatched" swap as a personal challenge. A way for you to grow as an artist in a different direction, a way to step outside your comfort zone? From personal experience, I can tell you it feels awesome when you succeed!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yay me! My zombie garden gnome was named a 2013 Featured Project: Home Sweet Home: Interiors & Exteriors! Thanks for voting for him!

LadybugsAndBumblebees

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2012 11:32:08 AM »

I have to tell you that I've been swapping since 2009(?), and I have had those experiences but they have been few and far in between.  It sounds like you just have had your run of them all at once!  Tongue 

A suggestion...I do enjoy meeting and swapping with new people on Craftster.  Perhaps after you've been swapping a bit more, make a mental list of who you know you don't want to swap with, and just keep that in mind and PM the organizer of the swaps you sign up for so you're not paired with that/those people again.

Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
Onyxnox

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2012 04:43:09 PM »

I think most people who participate in swaps will experience circumstances at times that are less than ideal - sometimes downright crappy, like being flaked on.  I know it happened to me - I got flaked on my very first swap, and then got screwed over royally in a MAF swap - where there are no angels - I sent out one package, it got "lost" and the post office denied me compensation, as there was notice saying it got delivered - then I sent a extra large package 2, which had all the requirements of package 2, and a make up package for 1 - and then got flaked on for the entire swap.  I seriously was bummed for awhile after that - downright angry actually.  But then I decided that was counterproductive and I was not going to let that person ruin things for me more than they had already - they do not deserve that much thought and power over me.  In fact I signed up to do a couple of angel packages immediately afterward to build up myself again.  Kind of work off the bad energy and vibe so to speak.

But I have been swapping for a couple of years now, and for every 1 or 2 bad experiences, I have had about 9-10 fantastic ones.  I have also decided that, knowing how much it sucks to be flaked on, and how greatful I was to my angel, that I would pay it forward too.

Even better, I gain from it - not so much getting a package in return, but the entire process gives me an opportunity to push my own boundaries of creativity, imagination, experimentation, and ability.  Especially if the partner is different from myself.  That kind of growth is priceless, and I am grateful for the opportunity.

Personally speaking, I would not give up on swapping, but maybe reconsider how you are going at them.  After the last one, I stopped choosing so many large intensive ones for awhile, and did smaller swaps instead - perhaps the size of the swap was intimidating to my partner and overwhelmed her.  Also, less of a committment and possible disappointment to me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
AmyLynn98
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2012 07:10:16 AM »

Mrs Barbara and Onyxnox, thanks for the advice. I think you are both right on how to handle future swaps, because let's be honest...these swaps are addicting as hell! Smiley

Have a good day!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LadybugsAndBumblebees

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2012 07:28:59 AM »

You're welcome! 

And you know what, I have received several package that have actually made me CRY, b/c of all the effort, thoughtfulness, and generosity that went into them, so you have that to look forward to as well!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://Pinterest.com/LdybgGrl

You can call me Queen Bee!
Or, Ladybug Girl, if you'd prefer.
AmyLynn98
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2012 08:33:25 PM »

Oh yeah, I got one of these in the mini art quilt swap. My partner made me a wonderful R2-D2 quilt and sent me a picture of it while I was stuck at the Omaha airport for 1 1/2 days. I was already weepy from the 1 1/2 weeks I'd spent back home (my MIL passed away) and seeing that little "face" on the quilt, made by someone who only knew me from email, and who had never made an art quilt before, well...it just about did me in.  Shocked

You're welcome! 

And you know what, I have received several package that have actually made me CRY, b/c of all the effort, thoughtfulness, and generosity that went into them, so you have that to look forward to as well!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivoryh1632
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2012 09:16:54 PM »

Also if you are feeling like quitting swapping, it can really help to just take a break from swapping for a few months. I was so fed up with some stuff that happened in a couple swaps, nothing big or anything my partners did intentionally it was just a lot of little stuff so i took a break for probably 6 months or so then did a smaller swap on a theme i really liked and it definately helped my feelings towards swapping, actually after that break was when i got inspired to start organizing and took on 2 partners in the swap i was organizing. so stepping away from the whole thing for a while can definatley help clear your mind of the bad experiences
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox

« Reply #33 on: July 15, 2012 08:08:32 AM »

That is very true - sometimes a break can help to change perspective, or help to refresh you.  Good point.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
rubylynns
« Reply #34 on: July 17, 2012 04:41:54 AM »

I went through the same thing.  I have a few bad experiences lately and decided to change the swaps I do.  I am now sticking to the on-going, IVP'S and MAF that I can pick my partner, with a few smaller swaps here and there.  In being more selective, not just picking up every swap that kinda sounds fun, I am having a much better experience. Don't give up on swapping!  Its so much fun! I have made some awesome friends doing this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KimmyLynne82

I enjoy being a dame.

« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2012 06:53:22 AM »

I have a thing with resurrecting old topics this week!  Roll Eyes

How would you handle a situation in which you signed up for a swap and when it was time for partners you learn that the organizer chose you based on what they wanted to make for you instead of pairing you with someone based on how compatible they were including allergies, likes, etc? I then learned another swapper said she (a multiple feline house) was paired with someone who was very allergic to cats.

I suppose it worked out alright for me in the end...but it still made me a little...I dunno...miffed, I suppose. I had another issue involving including DC on the package, but it belongs in a different topic that's probably old as the hills.

I don't want to be a jerk about it, but it left me feeling less than excited about this particular swap. Maybe it's just me...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~Kim~*
wists~ Swap Ideas on Pinterest~Blog~Twitter: @ThePeachMartini

I <3 Personal Swaps!
Onyxnox

« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2012 09:32:53 PM »

That happened to me once, where I am the one with the allergy and was paired with someone who has the allergen - I PM'd the organizer on partner day to point that out, and she arranged  a switching around of partners.  It was probably just overlooked.  Most people are flexible/reasonable.  For example, I probably would have stuck with it if the other person wasn't into making fibre crafts - but if they wanted to make something wearable with yarn or fabric, I may not have been able to use it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my pinterest~
ivoryh1632
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2012 10:24:29 PM »

i've had the same thing happen with me having an allergy and them having the allergen and another time they gave me someone in another country when i wasn't able to send international. both times i just wrote the organizer and they fixed it, it was just an oversight. when organizing those are the first things you're supposed to deal with and then worry abotu what people want. if you tell your organizer about it and they refuse to switch your partner then that's another issue and honestly i'd go to the help desk and tell a mod about that one cuz they shouldn't be pairing you with someone that will give you an allergic reaction
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlehajerika
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2012 10:34:49 PM »

I've been having a little bit of an issue with this recently. I signed up for a VERY large swap and the organizer paired me up with herself and we have very, very little in common. That doesn't bother me so much, I am ok with brainstorming, except that I feel like she didn't take time to really fill out her application and simply sent me a list of tv shows, movies and music that she likes. I am not a crafter that does much with things like that.

I guess it wouldn't bother me so much if the swap wasn't such a big one that involved so much time/money and I can't help but feel like if she hadn't been the organizer that her questionnaire wouldn't have gotten her into the swap at all! She did put us in a group of three (she is crafting for someone else, who is crafting for me) so maybe that shouldn't be such a big deal.

This is the first time I've been in a swap where I questioned the organizers dedication to it but it makes me want to say something. Should I say something to her? A moderator?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ivoryh1632
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2012 10:57:08 PM »

anytime i get paired with someone that's got a very vague questionare like that i just send them a list of specific questions, usually people dont have a problem answering questions like that. now if you've been asking her stuff and she's not communicating, well then i'd say you might wanna think about contacting a moderator cuz that's a major issue especially for an organizer
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlehajerika
« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2012 12:51:10 AM »

I have sent her quite a few messages with more questions and it did help some but I still felt like the answers were pretty general. I feel like this is something that I should bring up with a moderator after the swap is over. I think I'd be able to better evaluate at that point.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ThreadOrYarn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2012 06:18:24 AM »

The 'general answers to specific questions' came up before in another thread. I remember a few people saying they give general answers because they think it's more helpful to be more open to what their partner wants to make instead of being so specific that their partner is really limited. 

Maybe that's what she thinking? Could you PM her and say you WANT specific answers instead of general 'oh, whatever you want is fine' kind of answers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PaperBeau
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2013 11:25:05 PM »

I have felt nervous about this being new to swapping. I was inspired by Samsara, another craftester member, and created a page for swap partners on my website: http://paperbeau.weebly.com/craftster-swap-info.html

that way I know I've given as much inspiration to my swap partner as possible, and have definitely said I don't want my top 4 pet craft peeves.

Perhaps you (any reader who is nervous of a badly paired swap) could consider doing something like this - to help guide a partner towards items you would be overjoyed with! I would be very happy to see a similar list for my swap partner.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

alwaysinmyroom
Craftalongs Moderator

Life is Moving Along Splendidly

Make all things!!

« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2013 09:42:56 AM »

Good ideas here!

I would take a mismatch with a grain of salt...I sometimes ask organizers why they paired me with someone and get the most surprising answers Grin...mostly that I was the only one willing to pay international postage! Grin

I love swapping so I have to take the little bad with the mostly GREAT!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Onyxnox

« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2013 06:30:40 PM »

It's seems hard to accommodate for everyone's quirks and such in their questionnaires.  So far, I have only done two swaps, and I find I always leave myself as the leftover so I can pair everyone else up as best as possible - based on their wants/likes/dislikes/craft abilities/allergies/shipping requests, etc.  I can't imagine what it would be like running some of the huge swaps.

On the plus side though - sometimes a "mismatch" is a challenge to learn something new and push personal boundaries.  It can be pretty inspiring.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my pinterest~
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Supervillain Origins: Hector Hammond
Superhero Origins: The Green Lantern
How to Draw Phineas Flynn from Phineas and Ferb
How to Draw Ferb Fletcher from Phineas and Ferb
How to Draw Dan Bashin from Battle Spirits: Shounengekiha Dan
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...