A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 302,798
Currently Running With Scissors:
726 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Oh the perils of purls  (Read 824 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pugwash

oh, hello there

View Profile
« on: July 13, 2009 09:21:39 PM »

For the life of me I can't keep a constant tension on my purls. I personally think that I knit too tightly so that throws me off a little, but I've frogged a pattern four times now because I can not get my purling to cooperate with my hands. Are there any tips for new knitters who can't control a purl? I'm using size 9's, so the stitches aren't too small or anything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ThreadOrYarn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009 05:30:40 AM »

Try wrapping the yarn the other way around the needle. (this is soooo much easier to explain 'live' rather than with words...). When you do the purl, if you now wrap the yarn around the needle by going 'over the needle' try wrapping the yarn "under the needle"  Wrapping the yarn 'under' when you purl (and 'over' when you knit) is also called 'combination knitting' (I hope I didn't get that backwards  Embarrassed) there's a bunch of links on this site.

Or, don't change how you wrap the yarn, and just take an extra second to be sure the tension's right for the stitch.  After a while it'll become second nature and you'll do it automatically.

Or, if you're doing stockinette, use a larger needle in your right hand when you do the purl rows
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009 05:31:00 AM by ThreadOrYarn » THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009 07:13:23 AM »

Do you knit english or continental? Either way, try holding your yarn differently than you do now. Look at youtube for ideas. As for wrapping the yarn the other way, unless you knit into the back loop on the next row, you'll have twisted sts. You should wrap the yarn the same direction you do for a knit st, the only thing that changes between knit an purl is how the needle is inserted. Just like with the knit st, even tension comes with practice. If you have a garter stitch project, try doing it in purl instead of knit, see if that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
ThreadOrYarn
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009 07:24:16 AM »

As for wrapping the yarn the other way ... you'll have twisted sts.

That's true, but I don't know which way she's wrapping the stitches so the stitches may be twisted now, and wrapping the other way may not twist the stitches...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009 04:30:35 PM »

Right, which is why I always say that you should wrap purls the same way you wrap knits, just so they know that's the usual way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
pugwash

oh, hello there

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009 11:11:33 PM »

Thanks for the links. I suppose I just need to practice until my hands fall off. It's just frustrating since, while my knits might be tight, they always look uniform. But the purling is usually loose or lumpy looking from the non-uniform tension.

I wrap the yarn anti-clockwise around the needle when kniting, as learned on knittinghelp.com. I think that's Continental, or English or something. I'll try watching more videos and see if that helps as well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2009 08:04:51 AM »

Look at the videos for both english and continental on knittinghelp.com, you'll see the wrap around the needles is done the same direction, either way. Also look at the 'combined' method which can result in stitches being twisted (therefore tight) unless you knit through the back loop on the knit row to untwist them. My brain gets confused when people mention clockwise/counterclockwise, so I don't think of it that way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Author Tom Brokaw on the Best Day in His Life
Lynda Obst on Hollywood and Foreign Markets
Family Celebrations with Buddy Valastro
Norman Mailer’s “Double Life” as a Writer
Terra McVoy: What Are You Reading?
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...