A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,545
Currently Running With Scissors:
707 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: country kitchen to ?  (Read 931 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

skaborsk
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

always procraftinating..............

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 13, 2009 07:25:17 PM »

my boyfriend and i just bought our first house and we are so excited! its perfect for us. but we are looking at the kitchen and realizing its a bit boring. i'm wondering how to give it more personality. it kind of has a country feel to it, which is not our style at all (the decor in the pic is the previous owners not ours). we are more funky/kitschy/eclectic. i dont think we should paint the cabinets since they are in such great condition, but i'm open to any other suggestions. i've seen all the fantastic stuff all you crafters do in your own homes, so i know you can help me make this a fun, inviting space.

thank you for your ideas/comments!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

please visit my etsy shop. i love it when people buy my crap!  
http://www.etsy.com/shop/cappywanna
chrispykreme
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009 07:39:59 PM »

Those are beautiful wood cabinets. I personally would not paint those, either. I think you could add a lot of flair in the backsplash area (or whatever you call that wall area between the counter and the cabinets). You could paint that, do a mural or mosaic, or even hang up some cool/kitschy/eclectic items. In my house, I have some really small but cool mirrors that fit perfectly in that space. I think fun/colorful curtains or kitchen rugs could totally change the feel, too.

Also, that curvy piece of wood above your sink may just be decorative. If it is not structural and critical to keeping your cabinets up, you can remove it and it would feel less "country." I've seen diy shows take those down, but again I don't know your specific cabinets are.

Congrats on your first house! That is so exciting. We've been in our for 3 years and I still have rooms unfinished, in the decorative sense. But, at least I have a "craft closet."
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rissarox
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009 09:08:17 PM »

Ah, home decorating is lovely!!

If you want to try looking on betterhomesandgarden.com or on kitchenbathideas.com I'm sure that you will find some ideas. They have before and afters, and the stuff/ideas are very affordable, AND crafty!!

Happy hunting and decorating.. Make sure you post when it's complete!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sometimes the hardest thing and the right thing - are - the same

i do PERSONAL SWAPS!!! Smiley
Lmcbride
It's business time.

My place is usually tidier than this.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009 04:58:25 AM »

Congratulations! Smiley  Now that you have your house, the *really* fun part begins, making it your own unique space.

Personally, I would paint the cabinets because I think it's hard to escape the country feel otherwise.   Smiley

Obviously, changing out the wall color with paint or abother surface, and changing the curtain to your favorite colors would be a start.  Dont forget your ceiling can be painted too.   

I can't really see what type of floor you have...   

I really love your sink and faucet! Smiley

Also there are ways to cover up the dishwasher panel to a color/material that you like.  Often times you can insert a thin panel of metal or wood, or you can actually paint or do a number of other finishes (decoupage comes to mind)  right onto the existing panel.

Otherwise, all of your accesories(like your rug) and personal stuff, if there is any room to display anything, can really put your mark on the room.  For instance I really love vintage utensils and so forth, so I have my retro spoons, ladels, potato masher, that sort of thing displayed on a hanging rack, and my metal cake covers and bowls and such are on a shelf, which helps to create a "grandma's kitchen from the 1940's" kind of vibe.

I don't know if you plan to keep or change your counters, but they are such a "neutral" color, if you are planning to keep them as is I bet they would blend right in with any other color scheme you choose.

If you have a favorite color or favorite thing that will go in your kitcchen (for example a colored mixer or other small appliances) that would be a good place to start for your inspiration.

Have fun! Smiley

Also hgtv.com has a lot of pictures of kitchens, but unless you look at "rate my space" most of them all tend to look the same after a while - acres of granite counters, huge stainless appliances, etc.  If that is a style you like, you can see loads of inspirational pictures there.

I hope you post "after" pictures too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Get rid of all your boring, tiresome friends. Make friends with cabaret stars, exotic dancers, and down-on-their-luck royality instead." Jonathan Adler
skaborsk

« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2009 07:13:32 AM »

thank you guys for your comments!

chrispykreme- i'll definitely try to take down that little insert thing on the cabinets, i think that will help too!

rissarox- thanks! i'll check out those sites

lmcbride-thats a great idea about the dishwasher panel. how fun would that be to decoupage it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tomico
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009 07:11:02 PM »

I wouldn't paint those cabinets until you tried some other things first.

I can tell you some of the things I've done to my kitchen and then you may be able to take, adapt or throw away what ever you want.
Mostly I went for a Victorian garden feel for my kitchen. My cabinets were completely flat surfaces from the 1950s. To add interest I painted them blue and  added white trim and applique's. I put some can lights and some glass holders suspended under the cabinets. I also painted the room in the same blue as the cabinets and added clouds for a faux sky. Next, I hung white plastic trellis on the ceiling and wove fake grape vines through it. I also have some pretty white porch lights swagged on the trellis. I also have some white cherubs throughout the kitchen.

suggested adaptations:
Use the trellis to be able to hang a variety of fun vines, items or string lights from the ceiling.
Add fun appliques that are attached with that puddy stuff so you can mix and match. (card symbols, tarrot deck cards, cardboard dolls, etc.) Make applique's on magnets for the dish washer. (A clean and dirty sign is always helpful.)
Use paint to change the personality of the room. Add painted vertical stripes for a circus feel or add vinyl decals.

You can have a lot of fun if you think about what you like and ways to adapt what you have to get it. The problem most people have when others give suggestions is everyone else has their own taste which could be similar or vastly different from you own. When I bought my house I bought a large variety of magazines and The Idiot's Guide to Interior Decorating.
Each of the things I bought showed me a little more of what I preferred in style and gave me ideas to try to make my home look closer to what I preferred.
I hope you enjoy the journey.

Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
skaborsk

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009 08:19:19 PM »

thanks so much tomico, your kitchen sounds really origional!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tomico
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009 08:59:52 PM »

I'm such a slacker! I have been on craftster since 2005 and have never posted a picture! This is the year I hope to change that. (sheepish grin.) First, I have to come home from vacation. Then, I have to finish my sorta steampunk craft room / sewing room /studio. Then I'll start posting pictures of the different rooms. It may take a couple more months, but I'm close.

Tomico
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrsS
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009 10:15:22 PM »

I think you should remove all current decor, especially the curtains...
I wouldn't paint anything...I painted my kitchen and it just peels (even with special paints)... So I would say get some wood varnish to darken the cabinets with (I think a near-black would be perfect if the lighting is good).
I think a beaded curtain would be most adorable and funky for the window (ya know...the ones that hang down and have light-catching beads).
I can see black and white photos/paintings/art in black frames above the top cabinets. If you have a theme color use it in random photos/paintings/art mixed in every so often (but have all the pics in matching-color frames).

I wish I had more ideas for you but that's all I've come up with in 5 minutes...Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Anna

"Let the beauty of the Lord our God be upon us, and establish the work of our hands for us." Psalm 90:17a
greenfaerie
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2009 04:53:40 PM »

Why not strip and restain the cabinets?  Or leave them as they are.

This could really go Steampunk, Art Nouveau, French, etc etc.

Just don't put anything with ruffles in there, unless its ironic.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Big collection of Kenmore presser feet to swap/trade/sell!!  Ruffler foot, etc.  Please PM for details!
Wist!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the Rotobrush Tool in After Effects
Where to Find 3D Visualization Resources
How to Use Free Stuff from Google in Funtimerhinestone
How to Take 3D Photographs
How to Draw Betty Boop
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...