A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,556
Currently Running With Scissors:
718 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Amature shot of a posing cardinal (photography)  (Read 865 times)
Tags for this thread: cardinal , bird  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

littlebiskit

no cat anywhere ever gave anyone a straight answer

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 13, 2009 06:25:35 PM »

This is my first time posting on this board, so please be gentle!  I love the idea of photography as a hobby, but (obviously) I have had no training, and really don't have the equipment for anything beyond taking day-to-day shots of my little girl, but I happened to have my camera, and this guy was pretty much posing for me, so I had to shoot.  

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2469/3718992712_4b8140f42f_b.jpg

I'm just using a Kodak Easy Share Z1012 IS.  I would love to upgrade to an SLR or something fancy, but I'm not sure I can justify the expense, especially since, like I said, I'm not exactly trained or anything.

C&C welcome and encouraged.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009 06:27:26 PM by littlebiskit » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am walking 12 hours straight for my local Relay For Life event.  [a href="http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY11MW?px=16690269&pg=personal&fr_id=30095"]Please support me![/a href] I'm only 40% to my goal! =0(
SkyyAngel
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009 06:30:34 PM »

It looks to me like you have some natural talent with how the shot is framed. Smiley What a cutie too! I love it when they pose for us!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Vampira_666
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009 07:09:09 PM »

Great shot... but when I look at the pic the cardinal looks soo fake to me... especially when I look at the larger pic... cardinals don't have eyes like a human..which the one in the pic does... they look painted on... a cardinals eyes are totally black!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009 07:13:27 PM by Vampira_666 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

*~ Vampira_666 ~*
vwluvervw
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009 07:39:33 PM »

but when I look at the pic the cardinal looks soo fake to me... especially when I look at the larger pic... cardinals don't have eyes like a human..which the one in the pic does... they look painted on... a cardinals eyes are totally black!
the eyes look painted on only because of the reflection of light on the bird.

*** In my opinion.. and it's only an opinion... next time tighten up on the subject itself... the bird kind of gets lost in all of the green... great shot but if you had cropped it (zoomed in) before the shot was taken I think it would have been more focused on your subject (the bird) With that being said... if you LOVE photography... and take a lot of photos... if you do get an SLR then I would HIGHLY suggest taking some photography classes... I'm doing that now.. and I'm learning so much more about using the camera to it's full potential... which is something you'd want to do if you're going to go and spend all of that money! Nice job though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mouseatethekitty
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009 08:00:33 PM »

This is pretty, and I like how your cardinal isn't directly in the middle of your composition. All of the colors are so vibrant! i think it's really pretty through the branches where you can see the sky.
I wish there wasn't reflection in the birds eyes though. I know you couldn't help it but I thought it was a really realistic bird that you had made at first and not a picture you had taken, lol!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

roccstarr75
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009 10:47:30 PM »

I agree with the other about cropping the photo.  I would do it something like this:

I think the red looks great against the green, there's just too much green.  You can tighten up your pix by zoomin gin on them, but I like to take a wide shot so I can play around with it on the computer.  It helps to have a camera with a high megapixel rating (mine's 10) so you can crop in really tight in the editing software.  By positioning the bird where I did, it takes advantage of the "rule of thirds".  In this case the bird is in the lower right 2/3 of the frame.  For some reason, the human eye likes thirds!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
longtimegeek
Still crazy after all these years....

betta and betta....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2009 05:46:50 AM »

I agree with the comments about cropping to focus the eye, but thirds works best when it leads you into the rest -- since the bird is looking out of frame, it feels unbalanced. Unfortunately for this photo, when you crop that way you get a lot of holes in the green.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
A Day to Night Look with J Brand Jeans
‘Tis The Season to Entertain in Style
Gillian Sagansky Talks About the Perfect Jeans
3 Ways to Rock 1 Chic Pair of Tuxedo Pants
7 Ways to Wear One Party Dress
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...