A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,736
Currently Running With Scissors:
479 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Issues Knitting With Two Colors  (Read 598 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ReticentPurple
And Purple was her name-o.

View Profile
« on: July 14, 2009 10:48:11 AM »

So I am trying to knit my first project with more than one color (aside from simple stripes, anyway). The pattern and someone else's knit version can be found here: http://www.entropyhouse.com/penwiper/who/knittardis.html

I ended up knitting with some combination of stranding and intarsia, which may have been my problem, I'm not sure. (Like I said, new to this whole multiple colors thing.) My biggest issue is with the line down the center - in the place where it isn't close to the dark squares, it became disconnected from the rest of the knitting, forming a sort of loop/hole, where I could fit my finger between the line and the rest of the piece. I also kept ending up with the sides where there are only a couple stitches of each color in a row looking weird and lumpy. (I hope that is clear enough - I frogged it all in frustration, so I don't have pictures to show.) However, the pictures of the completed project show that it should be possible to not have this happen, only I don't understand how. Help, please?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2009 11:28:44 AM »

You're getting spaces in between the colors, right?

It's solved with twisting the 2 colors when you knit. I'm not an expert at all (I've just read this in a bunch of places Wink) but the way I've seen, when you get to a color change, take the new color, and twist under the old color.

Someone with actual knowledge come clarify Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames.com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
Yola
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2009 11:35:26 AM »

You're getting spaces in between the colors, right?

It's solved with twisting the 2 colors when you knit. I'm not an expert at all (I've just read this in a bunch of places Wink) but the way I've seen, when you get to a color change, take the new color, and twist under the old color.

Someone with actual knowledge come clarify Cheesy

Not sure if it's any help, but I had the exact same problem as ReticentPurple, started doing this and now all the spaces are gone.

If there's only a few gaps you could 'tie' them together on the backside of your project. That's what I do whenever I mess up the twisting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ReticentPurple
And Purple was her name-o.

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009 04:49:12 PM »

Hm.. I think I understand. It's hard for me to picture it in my head, but I'm pretty sure I know what you mean, and that makes sense. I will try that on my next attempt. Thanks to both of you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
graftonfibers
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2009 07:58:51 AM »

And one more tip that has saved me some sanity - if you are knitting with, say, black and white, and you twist the black over the white counter clockwise, next twist do in the opposite direction - white over black in clockwise.  Twisting back and forth keeps your yarns from becoming a twisted mess.  By going back and forth, you are twisting and untwisting the yarn lengths. 

Linda
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Grafton Fibers
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Best Beauty Products to Steal from Your Man
Spring Beauty Style
The Best Products to Wipe Off Everything
What Are the Best Products to Steal from Your Guy?
VF COLLECTIONS: Stella Jean - Fall 2015 - Milan Fashion Week - Backstage, Runway & Interviews
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...