A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,969
Currently Running With Scissors:
421 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: small bust, big everything else. Need help..  (Read 11142 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

itsamutiny
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2009 05:42:11 AM »

i didn't read any of the other replies, but you DEFINITELY need to get a properly fitting bra, first and foremost. if your bra doesn't fit at all, clothes won't look good no matter what you do.

secondly, the tube top and halter top you're wearing aren't working either. they're making your chest look smaller and your tummy look bigger, plus they're pretty clingy. try woven fabrics and fabrics that are a little stiffer than those of the tube top and halter top, and avoid bias-cut tops at all costs. bias-cut tops will cling in ways you really don't want them too.

i would try a nice empire waisted tank in cotton, with thick straps so you can wear a supportive bra. the bottom half of the shirt should just skim your tummy but shouldn't ever cling. you were wearing skirts in most of the pictures, but if you wear pants, make absolutely sure that they're not tapered. if they're tapered, they'll make your stomach look big while making your ankles look tiny, which is exactly what you don't want.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
michellesangel
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2009 03:21:36 AM »

Mainly cos I am now super-selfconscious about how I portrayed myself, here are some pics of what I wore to work over the week. Well, last week. I've been struggling with the school and my 6yr olds anaphylaxis this week so been too stressed to think straight.

this is so comfy!

white on white isn't a great look but I only took the vest off for the pics. apparently I was a little behind on the laundry that week  Roll Eyes

so many things I don't like about this top. without making any effort you can see how baggy it is in the bust. the pinstripes do weird things to my eyes when i glance down at the desk etc lol

a recent score off the sales rack in a store called Autograph. a little big but I love that it has true buttons all down the front, just something different! i like it, it's comfy. bit thin for winter so it's lucky my office is well heated!

I usually wear my hair up as it's so damn long it drives me somewhat mental, but I like it best long lol so a no win situation. I also never really wear makeup etc so yes, this is how I go to work Smiley I wish I knew more about fashion and akeup and hair styling. Oh well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Nostrum
Australian made and owned.

Don't dream it, be it.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #32 on: July 28, 2009 03:41:36 AM »

You know Michelle, although you don't like the pinstripe top, I actually picked it out as my favourite in what you wore this week. I looked at all the pictures before I went back and read your comments on your clothes.

If the pinstripe annoys you, I would REALLY concider taking a quick-unpick/seam ripper to it and use the pieces as a pattern to make yourself a top or two in fabric you prefer. It really compliments your hips and waistline, and I honestly don't think it looks to baggy around your chest. The waist tie with the off-set knot is a brilliant idea, too. Smiley

I also like the first top. The yolk and neck gathering looks really nice on you, and the whole top fits nicely without pulling too tight, or flapping around being too baggy. It's also a perfect length or you. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Keep smiling - It makes people wonder what you're up to.

Looking for Australian personal swaps! [For now. I'll branch overseas when I can afford it!]
Sofiushka
« Reply #33 on: July 28, 2009 04:07:14 AM »

I have to agree with Nostrum, that pinstripe blouse is the one that looks best on you. It looks pretty gorgeous, in fact. I am a pear shape myself, and what I've found over the years is that the best look you can get is the one that emphasizes the bosom. That's exactly what makes the pinstripe blouse work so great - the frills on the chest ans puffy sleeves balance out the rest of the body.

Something that has also worked for me is patterns. I now try to stay away from plain colour, at least on the front. Patterning helps a lot in defining shape, you can start with simpler prints in soft colours if you're nervous about it, but I personally like to go with bold patterns in bright colours  Wink

Another great thing for us pears are the loose V-necked empire waist shirts, like this one, from Macy's:

I was really happy when I found this worked for me, because dresses shaped like this also look really good on us! I never wore any skirts because I felt like a hot air balloon in them, but I can wear these dresses and feel like a princess! You should give it a go  Cheesy
Stay away from over-exposed shoulders. Personally, the thinnest I'll go is the cap sleeve, if by any chance I have to go strapless, I wear a shrug.

You have a really beautiful facial structure, and if you want to keep the length, try layering and a side swept bang to frame you pretty face and have instant and effortless sexyness!

Please forgive my intrusion, these are merely my two cents based on my personal experience.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ChickadeeChickadoo
« Reply #34 on: July 28, 2009 04:43:47 AM »

I like the Vneck white top. It draws the eye into your boobs thus making them seem a bit bigger. Maybe with the grey vest just doing the buttons up from just under your boobs down might help. I love cardies for this reason, they are also good just left open. I can be up to 2 sizes bigger on my hips than bust and find that Vnecks really help balance me out.

I also find that sometimes if I really want a certain top I just have to buy the bigger size and take it in around the boobs to make it fit. I find I can very often get alot better fit this way.

I also love smock tops but have to be careful that they don't cling anywhere other than my breasts otherwise I end up looking prego (and i've lost count of the amount of times thats happend! Roll Eyes)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rlynn
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #35 on: July 28, 2009 05:46:34 AM »

I was going to say that I liked the pinstripe shirt on you as well.  Its very flattering! I also agree with ChickadeeChickadoo that the v-neck on the white blouse is great for your boobs.  It really does make them look larger.  I think Sofiushka's got it right with the low v-neck blouse she posted.  I bet that one would look fantastic on you!! 

You are making me take a more critical eye to my own wardrobe.  I'm 29 and NEVER cared how I dressed which as a teenager and 20 something I think it was fine.  As I get older, I don't think I pull it off very well anymore...I just look sloppy.  Plus having a baby in the last year and a half has added about 30 lbs and yet I haven't really changed the cut of my clothing to flatter the extra fluff.  I need to start dressing better. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

michellesangel
« Reply #36 on: July 28, 2009 06:15:35 AM »

Thank you all for your honesty and critiques. No intrusion at all Sofiushka, I put this out there and asked for it. I'm 27 myself.

Rlynn, I too would rather slop about in trackpants and an oversized shirt but I just started working again in the last 4mths, and go out with my friends who are all super buxom and use it to max effect!! I haven't worked out how to use anything lol I am not interested in fashion trends, would rather wear what's comfy and works for me than dress in fluro pink as it's the seasons "hot" colour, as mentioned above I can't do makeup (lipgloss and mascara is my limit!), dont bother to take the time to do my hair (this is also a love-hate relationship with bobby pins, going to all the trouble to style my hair for an evening out only to have pins falling out every 2 seconds so 1hr after leaving the house it's all down and scooped up into a messy bun!!).

I am going to open a document with a yes/no column and save the pics you've all been good enough to reference me to.

I love that white top. I know it sits a little snug in the tummy but I like the neckline a lot. I just bought some jersey online and was thinking I might try reproduce it, but with a slightly fuller body. It's only a size 18 or so, maternity top. Maternity tops in an 18, if and when I can get one that does fit, fit great! They never assume an 18 has DD+ boobs, but make it bigger in the body for an expanding belly. Just what I need, but rare the belly is big enough all the same.

The pinstripe top.. that ribbon came with it, i'ts belt loops are lower down but I learnt the hard way it looked ghastly tied there!! I have this thing about off setting stuff, that's why it's tied on the side. I like that the top button is lower down than a typical blouse and the way they did the neckline lets it sit open slightly where as a normal blouse would almost keep itself closed due to how it's cut. I do wish it were 2 inches longer, my belly spills out from under it. eww!

The obvious thing would be to lose weight.. I'm 27 and been big all my life so lets not count on that as a given Smiley I suffer depression so sometimes I can barely get out of bed and look after my daughter let alone start stressing over my size. Would rather just accept it and try look good as I am for now. Plus, with the dd being sick all the time when I a functioning I put most of my energy into her.

Your ideas are all great. Now I will have some idea what to look for in stores. I need to lesrn to sew better, or start a kitty for clothes lol
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009 06:48:40 AM by michellesangel » THIS ROCKS   Logged

michellesangel
« Reply #37 on: July 28, 2009 06:30:04 AM »

Y'know, I forgot one important point.
Always look for designs and patterns that have a vertical line instead of horizontal. It's really a fashion must, but you see a suprising number of shirts - especially in larger sizes - that have horizontal stripes. It really draws your eye outwards, and also emphasises your curves in all the wrong ways.

This style top would look great on you, but definitely in another colour!
http://www.pumpkinpatch.com.au/Clothes.cfm?fav_look_img_id=521&fav_look_section_id=14&fav_look_screen_id=1&web_site_id=2&on_sale_only_flag=0&anchor=521&thepage=2&viewall=0&QueryNav.offset=11&QueryNav.len=10&#top
The 1/2-3/4 sleeves would really emphasise your forearms, and though it's a light, wavy fabric it doesn't look to frippy.
... Did I just make up a word?

Okay, so this is a terrible example, but apparently the look I was thinking about isn't as common as I thought it was.
http://www2.victoriassecret.com/images/prodpri2/V245392_EDIT_ZC.jpg
This top has a feature that runs across the bust, as well as vertically. This design actually WOULD look great on you, because it would help narrow your waist, add emphasis to your bust, and has cute little cap sleeves.
The main point of this top is that it has a design under the bust, but it doesn't flare out / fall straight from underbust.

Also, there's an issue we haven't addressed!
You're on a crafting forum, but we haven't asked - what do you craft?
If you can sew, you could take up the hems of your tops that finish at thigh length and take them up to crotch length [I TOTALLY understand what you mean by that].
If you can knit or crochet, think about a cute little shrug for your shoulders! Match, say, a baby blue shrug with a royal blue top.
If you do metal work, get started on Princess Leia's metal slave bikini from Star Wars. The men always love that.  Wink Cheesy

Nostrum you've had great advice. Still not 100% sure I understand all of what you mean. LOVE that Victorias Secret top but I know I'd never find something like that in stores, and if I did, I'm too meek to buy it!! lol

The Pumpkin Patch link is no longer working, and I can't remember what it was. Can I bug you just once more to try find an example of what you talk about her pretty please?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rlynn
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2009 06:46:42 AM »

Rlynn, I too would rather slop about in trackpants and an oversized shirt but I just started working again in the last 4mths, and go out with my friends who are all super buxom and use it to max effect!! I haven't worked out how to use anything lol I am not interested in fashion trends, would rather wear what's comfy and works for me than dress in fluro pink as it's the seasons "hot" colour, as mentioned above I can't do makeup (lipgloss and mascara is my limit!), dont bother to take the time to do my hair (this is also a love-hate relationship with bobby pins, going to all the trouble to style my hair for an evening out only to have pins falling out every 2 seconds so 1hr after leaving the house it's all down and scooped up into a messy bun!!).

This is very much me as well.  I just grew out my hair...okay, lets be honest here...I got lazy and let it grow out.  So its always in a "bun"...I use the term lightly as I really just wind it around itself and attach what is supposed to be an elastic headband around it a couple of times.  I can do makeup...but again I'm lazy. 

My everyday wear is usually a tee and lounge pants.  I have gotten better at what lounge pants I buy though.  I have found that target usually has some lounge pants that are comfy and a more flattering cut than just traditional sweatpants.  But I am trying to get a job since I just finished grad school and I don't think my lounge pants no matter how flattering are going to cut it.  Heh! 

I think if I get brave enough...maybe I will do the same and get some opinions on what others think would look good on me.  I have the toughest time finding clothes that fit my body....My hip and bust measurement say size 10...but my waist measurement says size 14!!  Shocked  Hourglass I am not...unless its an inverted hourglass.  Smiley  There has never been much of a diff between my waist and hips...its just more noticeable now that I've gained some weight. 

Oh and I think you have the right attitude.  The key is being happy with the way you look now. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ChickadeeChickadoo
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2009 06:54:53 AM »

i'm guessing you girls are in the US if your UK sorry but I just had to add this.
http://gok.channel4.com/
Hes a guy whos on tv over here. I'm not normally one for beliving what I see on TV but I love gok and on the website there is a little thing you can go through that will tell you what shape you are and what cuts fit best etc. He never talks about weight really or anything like that its just what looks good for your shape.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Do a Glam Foundation Routine
Best Perfumes To Wear for Fall
Contouring Tips with Michelle Phan
Drugstore Makeup Haul
The Best Way to Remove Makeup
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...