A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,102
Currently Running With Scissors:
403 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: small bust, big everything else. Need help..  (Read 10009 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

michellesangel
« on: July 13, 2009 04:45:55 AM »

Hey People

Well, nothing I buy fits. My body is an odd shape, and I don't even know how to categorise it. I'm an aussie 22/24 but that can vary greatly. I have a C cup size at best and huge belly under that. I can never accentuate my breasts, my belly looks pregnant and I have heffalump arms  Cheesy

I'm pretty ok with my body, but I'm kinda fed up with being single.. so frumpy just doesn't cut it. I have a fascination with empire waists as I feel they bring some shape to my chest, though they probably make me look seriously pregnant. I hate all things boxy and "fitted" to the bust as they just sag on me in all the wrong places. I had to go through a lot of photos to find things to share as I just don't take many pics that include the chest down as it's such a problem area in my head. Even a basic work style blouse/button shirt doesn't fit right and I find the busts too open as they don't fill *out* as they should so the fabric falls down, leaving top buttons (or necklines in general) too low, which then has me tugging on the hem at the back to raise the neckline at the front.

So.. what body shape would this be? What clothes should I be wearing and what should I be avoiding? I'm not bothered by latest trends I wear what I like. I'm going to be brutal on myself and share pics I really dislike..

The photo that prompted my quest for better garments.. (my dad's 50th recently)

I could never accept how awful these pics looked (especially against my super thin cousin!)

A costume I made in 2hrs, but wow look at that belly!

Infinity dress (now a top cos I hacked off the bottom lol)

An example of a top that I have to keep tugging the hem backward or else I end up with my chest exposed in a rather unpleasant manner. This top is a bit big too, and definately too long. I think it's an AU26, something a friend gave me.

Ok.. that's enough honesty out of me, now for some from you... Cheesy

(you could get the impression from these pics that I wear sleeveless a lot which isn't the case, I was looking for examples where my tummy/boob ratio is clearer to see)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

boo_zombie
rubybluedesigns.etsy.com

rubybluedesigns.etsy.com

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009 04:50:51 AM »

id say your a pear shape because ur smaller at the top and bigger on the hips and tummy, i think empire waisted things would accentuate that, i think you would look good in simple lines and detailings, like button up tops that you can tailor to your shape and just nice comfortable plain things made special with nice fabrics and detailing
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CHECK OUT MY ETSY!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/rubybluedesigns

http://rubybluedesigns.blogspot.com
http://www.wists.com/ruby_blue13

CURRENT SWAPS:
exstatic about eclipse - sent/waiting to recieve
ORGANISING: Two Tiny Things Fave Band Swap
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=351944
Nostrum
Australian made and owned.

Don't dream it, be it.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009 05:07:53 AM »

You're a pear shape.
And its good to hear that you're still relatively happy with your body, even if you're not the same shape as your cousin!

When I studied Fashion Design, I spent a fair while looking into body shapes and who suits what.
The most important idea is to draw the eye to the upper half of your body. It's not necessarily accentuating the boobs, but that will come hand-in-hand when people start noticing your upper.
People suggest things like boat necks and scoop necks, but I would steer away from anything that accentuates width too much [not meaning to cause offense, of course!]. This can be changed with using contrasting colours in the neckband, wearing jewellery that is prominent - and even long necklaces that draws a bit o' a line, if you know what I mean.
An open shirt or blouse with a singlet or a nice fitted tee underneath is another great option.
Try and find tops that have design features around your chest and neck, like buttons, brooches, and sewn designs.

So, so, SO many larger women tend towards wearing clothes that are a lot more flowing and oversized, and I really hate seeing it. If there's two things I hate more in plus-sized clothing, it's bold designs and far too much fabric. Just because you want to flatter your figure, doesn't mean you have to hide behind a curtain!
Oversized clothes makes you look even bigger, as well as making you look droopier. If it means taking up the hem in your t-shirts so that your hem doesn't sit really low, it'll make a huge difference.
Sounds a little strange, but I look at a lot of plus-size clothes, and think they look like a colourful snowman melting...

Keep design lines just under your bust and just over your bust. You won't always want to wear something that falls directly from under your boobs, but keep an eye out for something that sticks a design line or a seam in there just because they can.

When you buy jackets, look for something that has a more open neck, or a lower cut neckline. When you have it buttoned up, it'll add length and help slim you, and a lower neck will help draw the eye in a widening line upwards, instead of a widening line downwards.
This is also where you can use low necklines in clothing without worrying that you're throwing your boobs out there for the world to see. A higher neck shirt underneath will work just fine.

Jump on google and run a search on what looks good for a pear shaped body.
Just keep in mind that though you are pear shaped, you're not the classical shape as you're still a little heavy in the upper body. So when they suggest puffy sleeves, be careful, as it might just make you look blocky.

Oh, and last but not least, go to a good bra shop and get yourself fitted for a nice bra. It might cost you a little more than you normally spend on a bra, but they really know their job! A little perking and shaping can make all the difference to looks AND confidence.

The best of luck to you. You are a beautiful woman, and you have an amazing smile. Keep those pearly whites flashing!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009 05:10:26 AM by Nostrum » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Keep smiling - It makes people wonder what you're up to.

Looking for Australian personal swaps! [For now. I'll branch overseas when I can afford it!]
Ludi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

May the Ghost Squid be with you

Team Wordy!

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009 05:23:39 AM »

You have a gorgeous face, so you definitely want to play that up!

Here's a site I think is helpful:

http://www.shapeyourstyle.com/pear.php

"Typically pears have:

A long or slender neck
Sloping or narrow shoulders
Narrow back
Small to medium bust
Defined waist
Full calves

You definitely have:

Curvy hips, thighs and backside

Create an Illusion

Use color to bring the eye up
Broaden you shoulders with wide neck lines.
Bring attention to your waist
Wear dark colors on the bottom to elongate and play down lower half

You Want to Emphasis

Face
Neck
Bust
Waist
Arms

Here are some DO'S

Wear a straight, boot cut or slightly flared leg.
Wear dark colors on the bottom.
Wear A-line or straight skirts.
Wear Push-up bra to balance your top half
Wear Wrap dress - the perfect solution for the different-sized tops and bottoms
Focus on great tops bright colors and tailored or fitted tops help accentuate the waist.
Look for fitted (not tight) T-shirts. V-necks, turtlenecks and open collars all call attention to the face, which is always a good thing.

DON'TS

Wear anything that tapers at the calf -- you'll only make your thighs appear larger.
Tuck in tops or overly define your waist like wearing a tight belt. (the smaller your waist looks the bigger your hips will look)
Wear big cargo pockets or excessive zippers around the hip area.  You also don't want to wear jeans that have pockets with flaps on the bum, as they will add to your profile.
Wear patterned or light-colored pants or bottoms, or jeans that are extremely faded in the thighs and rear.
Wear pencil skirts - again it draws the eye up to the problem area.

Accessorize!

Shoulder pads
Loose or dropped belts
Keep handbags above hip level
Large necklaces"

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009 05:25:18 AM by Ludi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

panda
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009 05:45:06 AM »

WOW.....I am so glad I came across this posting.  michellesangel  you are not alone.

Thank you everyone for all the advise.  Cause I to am a plus size woman (Pear shape).  

I do make a lot of my own tops....they fit better and I do not have all the fabric and ugly colors.

I like the empire dress and tops....I do sometimes take a dress pattern and short to a top.  

I just found this:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=106793.0

Hope it helps too, again thank you.  
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009 12:50:07 PM by panda » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2009 06:39:47 AM »

This may not be helpful, but I wanted to comment on your positives.
You have a really pretty face and I thought your hair looked lovely down.
I like the last top best on you, the colours are really great, and the cap sleeve looked very flattering.
From the elbow down you have fantastic arms.
You also have lovely skin by the look of the pics.
I have a similar shape, and find v necks wonderful, and have slipped a maternity top into my wardrobe just because it really suited my shape.
All the best,
regards
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
michellesangel
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2009 06:43:16 AM »

awesome guys, thank you! this is really starting to help.

button up tops that you can tailor to your shape
I only find that to draw them in to "fitted" in the bust makes them impossible to wear over that tum! and if I do get it to be fitted properly in top and bottom, it accentuates the tummy more than the empire lines  Roll Eyes

And its good to hear that you're still relatively happy with your body, even if you're not the same shape as your cousin
only have myself to blame  Wink the thing is, i put on that dress the other night and felt great. all the photos elbows up i'm fine with. this one made me want to cry! the top was waaaay to big an i added elastic at the back before racing out the door yet it still sat a little too close on the hips. even the 22 was miles to big in the bust yet even snugger at the hips (not at all tight, just accentuated too much)
Sounds a little strange, but I look at a lot of plus-size clothes, and think they look like a colourful snowman melting...
doesn't sound strange at all. I hate so many plus sized clothes as they're either really bad shapes for any plus, or really bloody ugly! or granny style.. oh how i love going to buy a nightie and all they have in plus is those really granny styled ones. cos going to bed in a floor length cotton/flannel gown makes me feel so super  Sad
Keep design lines just under your bust and just over your bust. You won't always want to wear something that falls directly from under your boobs, but keep an eye out for something that sticks a design line or a seam in there just because they can.
any chance you can share a link which has an example (or two) of this? I'm not quite sure I understand what you mean
Oh, and last but not least, go to a good bra shop and get yourself fitted for a nice bra. It might cost you a little more than you normally spend on a bra, but they really know their job! A little perking and shaping can make all the difference to looks AND confidence.
I've been meanin to do this for years. I live in the middle of no where (we don't even have a clothing shop lol) and my little girl has med issues so most everything goes on her and I don't even worry about me until I really really have to

You have a gorgeous face, so you definitely want to play that up!
Thank you, that was lovely of you to say

Wear Wrap dress - the perfect solution for the different-sized tops and bottoms
ok so maybe if i was an 18 in top and 22 in bottom I could see how this would help but it's more that my chest area is the 18 and from there down everything is the 22 and that all becomes the top, nothing to do with pants/skirts. hmm...  Huh  my bottom half I can fit not a problem and own many a-line skirts, capris, pants etc. not necessarily all in dark colours cos i personally despise bland dark colours and own a ton of white but eh, they fit Smiley

Shoulder pads
this is a joke.. right?  Cheesy does anyone actually promote shoulder pads these days? lol

Look for fitted (not tight) T-shirts. V-necks, turtlenecks and open collars all call attention to the face, which is always a good thing.
as you can seen from that maroon halter anything slightly fitted looks HORRID.. it just accentuates that huge upper gut  Embarrassed turtlenecks are also a big no no. i cant stand the feel of them and they make even a skinny person look like their head is floating lol

anyhow.. that gives me a lot to try and visualise, something I am not doing so well with at this hour Smiley Hope you got something useful out of it too Panda!!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009 06:45:47 AM by michellesangel » THIS ROCKS   Logged

boo_zombie
rubybluedesigns.etsy.com

rubybluedesigns.etsy.com

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2009 06:44:39 AM »

awww scrappy sue is a sweetie!

i must say that maternity clothing can be really really nice, my mom has very much the same shape as you and sometimes the maternity clothing is just so much nicer and there always that bit longer for coverage
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CHECK OUT MY ETSY!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/rubybluedesigns

http://rubybluedesigns.blogspot.com
http://www.wists.com/ruby_blue13

CURRENT SWAPS:
exstatic about eclipse - sent/waiting to recieve
ORGANISING: Two Tiny Things Fave Band Swap
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=351944
michellesangel
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009 06:49:33 AM »

This may not be helpful, but I wanted to comment on your positives.
You have a really pretty face and I thought your hair looked lovely down.
I like the last top best on you, the colours are really great, and the cap sleeve looked very flattering.
From the elbow down you have fantastic arms.
You also have lovely skin by the look of the pics.
I have a similar shape, and find v necks wonderful, and have slipped a maternity top into my wardrobe just because it really suited my shape.
All the best,
regards
S
you are gorgeous  Kiss thank you for being so kind Smiley i like that top too, but it's tagged 2 sizes to big so it fits pretty bad, it stops about mid thigh put it this way, if i were not a plus i'd be wearing it as a dress hehe i think i own one maternity top and i love it. it's an 18 but stretchy. it took a while to be happy with it's stretch over my upper belly  but i just wore it under things for a while. i've not found maternity clothes in aus in regular retail stores that are sized over 18..Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2009 06:52:21 AM »

I wonder if Pumkin Patch do?
(I'm in Australia too)
I got my top at Myers, who have quite reasonable sales.
regards
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Remove Gel Nails at Home
Birchbox Must-Haves for September 2013
Showstopping Foil Nail Art in 5 Minutes or Less
Beauty Trend Alert: Bold Lip Colors For Fall 2013
Tips For Getting Clear Skin
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...