A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,189
Currently Running With Scissors:
412 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: tshirt recon... into reusable grocery bags! with "tut"ie goodness  (Read 3776 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

wtpdesigns
« on: July 12, 2009 10:44:05 PM »

mmmkay... i hope this makes sense, i do significantly more to mine since all the "bad" shirts i can dismantle are 2-3x (i live with a 6'5" giant lol) so the instructions are for a regular sized shirt, say medium or large, you just make the side folds deeper (for the large and xl shirts) or cut and sew the side seems (for multiple x shirts) to size for larger shirts, you can ask for more details if you have the bigger than "normal" shirts like i used originally... also, this type of bag will last a few years with weekly or biweekly use... if you carry extra heavy stuff or overfill bags i would reenforce the handles with either thick bias tape, twill tape or something similar... the giant likes to grip as many bags as his hand can fit so i kept mine as is so it wouldn't add too much extra bulk in his hand... you can also make them with baby shirts for lil pharmacy/gas station/convenience store trips... i made a teeny one with a monkey pattern shirt <3 i found at the dollar tree, i use it at walmart when i go in for prescriptions and such, too cute, and also, you can make extra long bags, for big items like giant toilet paper packs and dog food etc. with those you just sew them the same way except you don't cut it near the middle, you just sew the bottom edge... if anything needs more explaining lemme know

« Last Edit: July 13, 2009 05:41:21 AM by wtpdesigns - Reason: i'm spastic » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I've got drinks piling up on my desk and a stack of pills I haven't even opened yet!"
"We're not gonna hide who we are, ok? I mean, we date, we're straight, get used to it."
http://www.myspace.com/wtpdesigns
Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2009 07:09:17 AM »

Thanks for the great tute.  It is simple,  yet effective.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
Eowynt

Not all who wander are lost

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2009 04:24:12 PM »

Question- about how far down do you cut the neckhole?  Do you have a standard measurement you use, or do  you just eyeball it/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

One is less than three.
wtpdesigns
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009 12:28:49 AM »

i actually kinda make it different for every bag, i made mine double (with two shirts) layer in some instances, cuz i also use some as laundry bags lol so for groceries i made the holes around - as far down as the arm holes, but the laundry one i made it more shallow so i could cram more in... so i suppose what my longwindedness is trying to say is eyeball it because every shirt is different, especially the arm and neck holes, you'll want it big enough to easily maneuver and not too deep that things fall out lol and i should mention also, since i forgot in the first post... keep the handles kinda wide so they have some stability, unless you want em thin, in which case i would very highly recommend bias tape on the edges or at least reinforced seams at the "shoulders"
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I've got drinks piling up on my desk and a stack of pills I haven't even opened yet!"
"We're not gonna hide who we are, ok? I mean, we date, we're straight, get used to it."
http://www.myspace.com/wtpdesigns
SweetzieBat
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2010 06:34:05 AM »

This is awesome! I am going to try this today! Does anyone have pictures of completed projects?!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn About "Dream Caused by the Flight of a Bee" by Dali
How to Classically Oil Paint - Part 2
How to Classically Oil Paint - Part 1
Classical Oil Painting Lesson
Painting Lesson - Beautiful Grey
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...