A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,076
Currently Running With Scissors:
626 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fill a me stocking because my DH isn't so good at that sort of thing swap  (Read 12054 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mommys little badass

A life lived for others is a life worthwhile.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2009 04:41:44 PM »

This is such a great idea!! I'd be up for it for sure.

My husband and I just separated so I cant imagine he'll be filling my stocking on Xmas eve.  Grin Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
superhooker
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

like a crack whore, except with yarn

perfectly pleasing...in a dirty sort of way

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2009 05:26:55 PM »

I will definitely be in for this one!  My hubby just doesn't understand presents.  He loves getting them, but he really doesn't get the giving part.  He wants to give me things, but he would prefer to take me to a store and let me pick.  He just doesn't get how nice it is when someone thinks of you, and then goes and makes or buys you something as a surprise.  I haven't gotten a stocking item that I didn't buy for myself in years!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Step off, I'm doin the hump.
Lady Llanalla

Half Birthday Cake Face Girl

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2009 06:00:19 PM »

To all Single Mom's out there. I want you to join just so I know you get something that isn't made in a classroom this year! Classroom presents have all sorts of love and intent, but they hardly fill that childhood glee factor we all need. Maybe we should post and "Adopt a single mom/Mom whose hubby is stationed abroad" Post for all of you. You need some extra hugs on a day when you find a way to do so much for others and have no one to do for you!!! Aikibookworms post just about broke me down in tears. I am still fighting them off!

I also know exactly what you mean about wanting something I didn't pick out for myself. I love surprises. My DH, however, is constantly accusing me of "ruining" the surprises he has for me. He picks awful gifts sometimes. Like the year he gave me (a great present, but the WRONG timing so wait for the whole thing before you lambaste me as a butt head) Tickets to see Mystere (Its a Cirque Du Soliel Production) for one week after I was being induced. Yes ladies... he expected me to be excited about leaving my newborn for an evening out six days after a C-section! The crazy thing is I went... crazy at the show which has these crying baby noises in it. I had to be taken down by an usher as there is very bad handicapped access and I was still using a wheelchair after my three months of bedrest followed by emergency C-Section... then the interminable wait for an usher to get me after the crowds left wearing a sopping wet jacket because my milk had come in the day before. Needless to say I have banned him from giving me tickets to anything as a surprise. Oh, did I mention they were one of six things in my stocking... that was my present that year... Oh, and the baby, which is the best thing ever, so I can't say he never gave me anything good. My daughter is wonderful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I swap, so in crafting terms I guess that means I put out... You?
morglanc

hey, are you going to throw that away?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2009 06:35:08 PM »

this reminds me of the first christmas i spent away from home as a married woman.  i used all of my spending money to make my husband have an awesome first christmas away from home. his stocking was full for weeks before, and there were several presents under the tree. i woke up on christmas morning to a completely empty stocking and one thoughtless cheap gift. i cried for days. not because of a lack of material things, but because....well, how the #$%^ could he not think to do better.  needless to say, i dont put stockings up anymore Smiley my mom sends me one full of goodies now though.  i'm glad to know i'm not alone though. i hope you all get some great stockings from this swap!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i love personal swaps. i'm looking to swap my art or paper crafts for some re-usable fabric snack bags, fabric sandwich wraps, fabric paper towels, glass pendants, ephemera, or art books.

http://www.wists.com/morglanc

http://morglanc.blogspot.com/
Lmcbride
It's business time.

My place is usually tidier than this.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2009 06:48:05 PM »

Wow...hearing all these stories.....we NEED this swap!  I hope we get lots of crafting time because whoever I get for a partner, I fully intend to throw my heart and soul into this (even more so than usual Wink).  Everyone should be getting their wists filled up with little crafty ideas! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Get rid of all your boring, tiresome friends. Make friends with cabaret stars, exotic dancers, and down-on-their-luck royality instead." Jonathan Adler
Lady Llanalla

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2009 07:27:07 PM »

I hope to have most of October and November for crafting time. Is that too much? Not enough? What other rules would anyone suggest. I think mostly smalls, maybe a medium or two, but no larges (how would you fit them in a stocking anyhow?) and no more than 25% store bought goodies including food/candy.

Can anyone suggest any other rules to help make sure no one ends up with that same feeling we get from our hubbies over a swap?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

blushingbluegrass

Bowl of Petunias: Oh no, not again.

« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2009 07:37:29 PM »

Hmm i like the 25% rule.... I love little silly toys and stuff in my stocking! Last year, for the boy's stalking, I found some wind-up sushi for a quarter at wally-world and he thought that was hilarious.

Maybe do like 4 smalls and a medium as a minimum?

Plus a homemade stocking (or store bought and then decorated)

We could even do it like the Pick and Choose swap, where we have themes and/or items we would like (like zip pouches, or ornaments, or jewelry, etc.). That way it would be harder to disappoint.

I think two months crafting/stalking time would be great, but maybe could we send out before December. I don't know about you all, but I avoid the P.O. like crazy in December.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am the Lorax who speaks for the trees, which you seem to be chopping as fast as you please.

wisting on a star....
craftymama06

I craft..Therefore I am..

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2009 09:27:09 AM »

Sounds great..And I agree the PO after thanksgiving is heck...My kids' xmas will be mostly crafted...The joy..I'm going to have to dig out my xmas cd's EARLY!!!! My family especially hubby is going to be "thrilled".... Tongue  Cheesy  Shocked 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Debbie
I LOVE anything homemade..
I LOVE giving HOMEMADE gifts..Which KID would YOU like??

Current Swaps..
Dotee's Round 7
I LOVE FALL
Hair DooDads 2
Martryska Swap-Sign ups
My Wists:
http://www.wists.com/craftymama06
Lady Llanalla

« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2009 09:50:44 AM »

I don't want to include the stocking in this swap. Unless you work out a plan with your partner I would like people to send just contents. The reason behind this is that I believe many of us have special stockings we use year in and year out. I know I do. My stocking was made for me by my Aunt when I was an infant and I have used it ever since. When I post the swap I hope to have a pic of my stocking in the topic.

I do think a stocking is an excellent extra if you work that out with your individual partner though.

As for ship outs I think it really needs to be the first week of December. I know this can be annoying, but I have two reasons for this and one helpful suggestion. I will start with the helpful suggestion. You can ship from your computer... no scale needed... if you use a USPS flat rate box its like 11 dollars US (within the US). They will drop the boxes off like mail at no charge, then you tell them when to pick them up (I imagine many of you will have more that one swaps worth of stuff to ship) by going online and paying for your shipping AND DC. The best part is... its cheaper  Shocked than going to the post office!

Now for the reasons... 1 Many of us will need every minute of craft time available. 2 If things sit around too long waiting, they will get lost, especially if my husband is in charge of them... the last thing we need is a stammering husband who can't even find the box someone sent. So arrival in the the second week of December is probably a good thing. Also... if you don't want to ship in December... ship early  Smiley I often do. I have been the first to ship in many of the swaps I have participated in. It hurts no one.

I think the lengthy questionnaire I am already devising should give ample food for thought and I would hate to stifle someone's creativity by suggesting anything other than a minimum number of smalls - mediums. I suppose we could use a point system minimum, but only as a minimum count. I want everyone here to feel free to totally spoil their partner. She may really need it!

craftymama06 I know what you mean about the Christmas CDs. We have reel to reels and records as well as the CDs and I love them. I'm not even Christian and I LOVE Christmas music. I can listen to it for months with no complaint and still sing some of them as lullaby's to my daughter all year round. She was born on January third and listened to Christmas music inside for most of the latter part of her gestation. I think she finds it very comforting!  Cheesy My DH however gets really tired of it very fast as he works retail and has to hear it all day everyday!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2009 09:54:02 AM by Lady Llanalla - Reason: fixing grammar issues » THIS ROCKS   Logged

AlternaWidget

More insects to worry about

« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2009 01:30:48 PM »

Hello! I am just getting back into swap mode and this is one that really really caught my eye. My mom (now 84 and in a nursing home) always did a stocking for me, and I always LOVED doing stockings for everyone, especially my 3 kids (all grown up now). I even added the Feast of St. Nicholas to the annual line up so I could put treats in the kids' shoes.

As we got older, Mom and I even exchanged an annual magazine subscription renewal - for the same magazine (Birds and Blooms) - and placed the postcard in each other's stockings. Silly, but true. (and here come the tears) I haven't hung up my own stocking since Mom a lot sicker, because, well... no one thinks of it.

I would be sooo happy doing this AND looking forward to receiving one in return.
Count me in. Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 26 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Apple Crisp Oatmeal Cookies Recipe
Easy Pear Tart Recipe
Caramel Bread Pudding Recipe
How to Make Instagram-Themed Cupcakes
How To Make Gluten Free Chile Lime Coconut Macaroons
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...