A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,360
Currently Running With Scissors:
627 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fill a me stocking because my DH isn't so good at that sort of thing swap  (Read 16238 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lady Llanalla

Half Birthday Cake Face Girl

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 12, 2009 04:38:09 PM »

Okay okay, so its a really long name for a swap, but it needed all those words to convey the real meaning.

Are you tired of being the only one with an almost empty stocking?

Do your kids look at you like "What did Mommy do to piss off Santa?"

Or are you going to be relatively without relatives this Holiday season? Why not fill a stocking for your fellow crafter who gets  gypped each year on the stocking front.

It might sound petty of me, but the child inside me (the one I let out regularly) looks at my stocking on Christmas morning and whimpers a little "how come me stocking is so empty?" the answer is I'm the one who puts the stocking stuffers together! I fill my families stockings full to OVERFLOWING with goodness and fun, which I love to do, but somehow each year my DH forgets that one little chore of filling mine. He does okay on the present front. Not great mind, but okay, except he forgets this area. My mom tries to help, but... well. I think it wold be more fun if I got to open some true surprises from some fantastic swapper.

The swap would have a lengthy form to fill out giving your partner a chance to have a good jumping off point and it would be a fairly large commitment. I think only 25% should be commercially purchased, including any and all food items. The rest should be hand made... we can decide on a number smalls for equalities sake and maybe a few mediums too, but all the items will have to be packaged so they can fit in a standard size stocking.

No stocking (unless you decide to do this with your partner outside the swap), just the filler. I am even toying with the idea of suggesting that we each give contact info for a responsible other (in my case my DH). Then ship to them so we can't peak before the big day. And we get to wake up in the morning to a fabulous surprise just like the kids  Smiley

To make this more open to any Holiday it might be fun to add a Hanuka and Kwanzaa option for those interested. Hanuka gifts are usually small anyhow, and Kwanzaa gifts are supposed to be hand made so its an easy fit.

What does anyone think? Anyone else up for it? I know its early for this, but I was thinking I would post sign ups in late September and have ship outs in early December.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2009 04:41:40 PM by Lady Llanalla » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I swap, so in crafting terms I guess that means I put out... You?
texmexie
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009 04:47:27 PM »

I've been waiting for christmas swaps!!!!  EEEKK!!! yes!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"So we are His portion and He is our prize,
Drawn to redemption by the grace in His eyes
If grace is an ocean we're all sinking"
                     *Jesus Culture*
Lady Llanalla

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009 04:58:00 PM »

The question is, is this a problem you have? I mean I don't care if it is or not if you want in on the swap woohoo lets go, I am just curious as to whether I am alone in the problem or not.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

donniesgirl
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009 06:18:29 PM »

HAHAHAHAHA - This one totally caught my eye.  I'd be game, although I think it's a little early.  But this fall, definitely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am collecting cotton Hawaiian fabric scraps for a quilt if you wanted to send any my way!
http://www.pinterest.com/donniesgirrl
MissDisney
will you take me to gang practice? yis?

You will never guess

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009 06:36:44 PM »

my hubby definitely tries, but since he doesnt care for little things in general, he doesnt really get whole stocking filling job

but he does want to, i know that lol...

i would love to do this swap, and yea, i think we should have the packages sent to the person who will fill them, so we dont have the temptation to peak (though if you are sending to me, you must wrap them cos his skills are minimal and well, i always know what my presents are because i have to wrap them lol)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i think im back....9 months almost to the day but i miss art, and i missed you guys!
Lady Llanalla

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009 07:33:42 PM »

Oh, I think presents should always be wrapped. The fun of opening is half the fun! "What will this be?" and "guess what it is." Are really part of the present for me.

Mine tries too, but... he isn't very skilled is all. He and his family just don't gift give well. His mother used to be good at it, but when his dad left her on Christmas after nearly 40 years of marriage for her best friend no less she kind of stopped caring. She's getting back into now. She loves buying for our daughter... you would think she was the only grand daughter. She's not, she's the eighth (and there are 9 Great Grand children out there on that side). I have restarted him on giving gifts to his 3 remaining siblings just this previous year. We didn't have much, but it was fun to ship anyway. My swapping usually grinds to a halt around Christmas as I squish in all my present making last minute  Grin I am hoping this will help me get prepared. Cut out and put together like 13 of something and then just ship it out in every direction to family, friends, and friends I haven't yet met.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nostephot
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009 08:44:35 PM »

I would totally love to do this swap. Christmas is not my favorite time of year but the stocking is the best part of the day.... (and I promise I am not a grinch when it comes to others)!!!  I think this would be so much from to do this with others who know how great it can be!!!  I hope we do this one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/nostephot/
My Old Wist http://www.wists.com/nostephot

I have been away for a long time but I am looking forward to getting into swaps and everything craftster again!  I am open to personal swaps!  I would love to do one for Halloween!
ScotSkipper402
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2009 09:18:44 PM »

Mrs Scrooge is quite interested
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
andi6
Right Brain Thinker

Right Brain Thinker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2009 09:27:07 PM »

I have never done a swap and I'm not sure how to, but this is a great idea!!  You hit the nail on the head!  I use to buy my own stocking stuffers so the kids wouldn't notice (after two years of nothing), but as the  kids got older I quit.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make things because I have to, otherwise I would go mad.
www.rightbrainthinker.etsy.com
crazyda79
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2009 10:37:21 PM »

Me me me!!!  I am always so sad come Christmas morning when my stocking is empty or else filled with things that I put in myself.  The only thing my hubby has to buy for Christmas is my present and stocking but he always fails to do both Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest
50 projects in 2014 335 total (swaps/friends and family)
50 projects in 2015 page 79
7/50 F&F
43/50 swa
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 26 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Why is there a delay when I take a Picture?
What is Facial Recognition?
How Much Zoom Do I Need?
What is the Aspect Ratio setting on a Digital Cam?
In choosing a Digital Camera do Megapixels matter?
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...