A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,734
Currently Running With Scissors:
643 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: WoW Shaman Birthday Cake!  (Read 3152 times)
Tags for this thread: video_game , wow , world_of_warcraft  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

metalpunkmonster
obsessive crocheter

Mmmmm... Yarn...

View Profile WWW
« on: July 12, 2009 12:49:30 PM »

i wanted to make my little brother a special birthday cake for his 20th birthday.  he loves world of warcraft, and his main character is a tauren shaman, so i wanted to make him a shaman themed cake.

i have to admit that nothing was from scratch.  i used boxed chocolate cake mix, canned vanilla frosting, and bagged raspberry filling from a local baking supply shop.  i'm so glad i did because it came out so much better than if i made it all myself.  i'm good at baking, but i just can't get my cakes right if i don't use mix.  besides, the decorating is my favorite part!

it has 4 layers of cake; 2 round cakes cut in half horizontally.  i filled it with a generous amount of raspberry filling, and frosted the outside with vanilla frosting.  then i used toothpicks to draw my design in the frosting.  the colored frosting is just the canned stuff tinted with powdered food coloring.  i find that it works better than the liquid and gel because it doesn't add any moisture to the frosting.  all the stirring gives the frosting a nice consistency for piping.  i just use ziplock bags as piping bags.  no clean up!  i wanted to add rice krispy treat totems, but i thought that would be a bit much.

this was seriously the best cake i've ever made.  better than our amazing local bakery.  again, i give credit to betty crocker and tapp's cake emporium for that. Tongue

my brother absolutely loved it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I make crafts and people. Also crafts for said people.
CrazyCristyC

http://tossedcookies.wordpress.com/

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009 01:08:56 PM »

Cute!  I play a shaman too! He's my main, and a troll, but I have a huge soft spot for tauren.  Most of my characters, as well as my boyfriend's main, are cow people!  I'm tempted to steal this idea for him...  Unfortunately, he plays a druid, and their symbol isn't quite as pretty. Sad

Nice job!
-Cristy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tygress
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009 11:37:47 AM »

Awesome WoW cake. :-) I love making Warcrafts.

--Ty
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MlleAriella
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2009 05:29:06 PM »

Awesome cake!!!  I'm in the middle of knitting up a warlock hat for the BF, but one of his alts is a shammy.  He would LOVE something like this.

I always have issues keeping the different frosting/icings where I want them to be when I try multiple colors.  Yours came out so pretty!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -Mahatma Gandhi

My Wist:  http://www.wists.com/mlleariella
metalpunkmonster
obsessive crocheter

Mmmmm... Yarn...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2009 09:24:07 PM »

thanks everybody!

I always have issues keeping the different frosting/icings where I want them to be when I try multiple colors.  Yours came out so pretty!

i have problems sometimes too.  i try to hold the tip as close to the cake as possible, which helps a bit.  if i mess up, i just add some more frosting to cover up the mistake if i can lol.  if you have any questions i'll be more than happy to help out as much as i can.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MlleAriella
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2009 07:44:58 PM »

Awww, thanks!  I might have to take you up on that in the next few weeks.  Real life will be kicking up the stress a bit, and I always end up baking!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated. -Mahatma Gandhi

My Wist:  http://www.wists.com/mlleariella
metalpunkmonster
obsessive crocheter

Mmmmm... Yarn...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2009 10:10:16 PM »

Real life will be kicking up the stress a bit, and I always end up baking!   Grin

i bake when i'm stressed too!  it's way better than therapy.  cheaper and tastier too lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009 10:46:29 AM »

lol right on!  all these WoW inspired cakes I 've been seeing makes me think my hubby needs one for his birthday too.  so I'm going to that this year.. not til november though Smiley

you did a great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create an Oil Painting of a Tree
How to Mix Colours to Form Green Paint
How to Pick Calligrphy Tools
How to Apply Calligraphy Tools
How to Draw a Manga Character
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...