A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 298,103
Currently Running With Scissors:
687 Guests and 34 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorials! Beaded Bobby Pin and Daisy Chain...  (Read 6764 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

AmysSculpturalBeading

www.sculpturalbeading.com

View Profile WWW
« on: July 12, 2009 04:24:55 AM »

So, I had a go at making some tutorials of the most basic stuff I make with seed beads...

Please let me know what you think!

Beaded Bobby Pin (Basic) Tutorial

Measure out 30cm of 30, 28 or 26 guage beading wire, fold in half and insert the bent end in between the prongs of the bobby pin and follow the instructions below:

These pictures show gaps, but always pull tight at each step.

Repeat above steps until you reach the rubbered end of the bobby pin. To finish, wrap bare wire around the bobby pin end a few times to secure and cut away excess.

And here's a photo of a finished more complicated beaded bobby pin, but it uses this basic technique:

Daisy Chain Tutorial

Measure out a generous length of beading thread and thread it onto a seed-beading needle, or cut a length of 30 guage beading wire and follow these instructions:

Use a stopper bead, crimp or knot to stop your beads from sliding off the end.

Make a circle, these will be your petals. These pictures show gaps, but always pull tight at each step.

Push the centre bead into the circle, it may try to pop out as you pull the thread tight.

Repeat above steps until you have reached your desired length.  You may need to vary the bead count depending on your bead sizes to form a nice flower, and length may need to be adjusted by changing how many spacer beads (in green) you use between flowers. Finish a wired chain for a ring by threading through the first bead against the direction you have been beading. Thread through several more beads for strength and tie off either by wrapping wire in between two beads, skipping a bead and backthreading, or looping the wire around and threading it back throught the last bead you've been through in the same direction you've been beading.

Here are some finished Daisy Chain Rings:

Thanks for reading, if you got this far. Please tell me what you think. I'd love feedback!

Amy

« Last Edit: September 23, 2013 03:48:45 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s). » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like personal swaps!
twylag
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009 07:42:47 AM »

thats a good tute, but could you use dental floss or waxed thread instead of wire?  I had one of those beaded bobby pins once and it was aweful to wear, always balding me up where I used it with the hear breaking constantly
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kritterkarin
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009 03:20:05 PM »

The dragonfly is so cool!

Thanks for the tutes!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AmysSculpturalBeading

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2009 01:23:02 AM »

thats a good tute, but could you use dental floss or waxed thread instead of wire?  I had one of those beaded bobby pins once and it was aweful to wear, always balding me up where I used it with the hear breaking constantly

Thread and beads could be knotted onto a bobby pin or wrapped with a stitch? Would be interesting to try that. This simple and quick wrapping technique would not work with thread though, the beads would slide everywhere.

On hair damage: That was a very good point... I should work on a putting in and taking out tutorial/extra in pictures for these. Lots of hair combs, clips, ties etc. rip my hair if I'm not careful. I get hair caught on any jewellery I wear anywhere on my body... This is the price I pay for wearing baubles. If you pull these beaded bobby pins out the way you put them in (perpendicular to your hair's growth direction and from bobby pin end to end), the bead work and wire will pull your hair and your hair might pull the pin's design out of shape. Each beaded pin needs to be released from the hair gently working with the natural direction of growth and keeping the pin in the hair until you reach the tips and it can slide off. For more complicated hairdos, focus on extracting the hair from the pin and not pulling the pin out of the hair - that way both are saved.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like personal swaps!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Meatball Shop’s Classic Meatball Recipe
How to Make Southern Fried Chicken
Monte Cristo Burger Recipe
Turkey Burgers with Blueberry Barbecue Sauce
Everything You Need For the Perfect Super Bowl Spread
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...