A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 304,742
Currently Running With Scissors:
465 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crimson Kitchen (plenty o' pictures)  (Read 9316 times)
Tags for this thread: featured_project  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

retroeva
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 11, 2009 09:55:55 PM »

This is one of those projects that just dragged on for weeks for no real reason other than sometimes the roller just seems to sass back Wink
After much debate I decided to paint my kitchen red (here is the thread I started with all the before pictures and conversation on what colors to choose: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=310126.msg3559649#msg3559649) so I stalked the paint sections at the hardware store and pillaged the paint chips to tape on the wall to gawk at as the sun made its way through the sky and decided on Eddie Bauer's "Crimson" which is part of his bungalow collection at Lowes. This is the second color of that line that I've worked with and I'm pleased. We actually got this one color matched to the Olympic Premium since it is $10 a gallon cheaper and has no VOCs (which is good because I'm pregnant and it has no odor) which is a-okay in my book. This took two coats and I'm satisfied with the coverage. I had my hubby do the painting towards the ceiling because I'm getting a bit front heavy and had one too many close calls leaning foward  on the ladder to get a corner... so any shoddy lines are so his fault- I only painted the perfect spots Cheesy Wink Cheesy

Enough yapping onto the pictures! Here is the "nook" that is split off with a mud room taking up the other space.

And here is a close up of the stenciled pattern on the open shelves I store the dishes and glasses on:

Rotating our way counter clockwise around the room here is the corner where the dog eats, and the other side of the door that leads to the mud room. I hung up some pictures I painted to go in my dining room at my old house. Out of sheer boredom I named the woman "Benina" and the man "Bertrand". It made sense at the time... my husband jokes that now I need to get a smaller canvas and paint a beagle for the dog and a baby for the future kiddo.

Here is the built in hutch that is super duper neat and eventually I'd love to get some glass put in so you can see the dishes inside but the budget is waistband-after-thanksgiving tight so thats not really an option right now.

Here the open doorway leads to the living room and the closed door leads down to the basement. I have some white sail cloth curtains for the window on the far right of the picture but the rod I bought was too short. D'oh!

Hope you enjoy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Blog of domestic goodness:
http://www.domesticeva.blogspot.com

Craftsman/Victorian Home Swap anyone?
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=309948.0
MareMare
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Bath and Beauty Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Soapmakers do it with bubbles

Don't be a soap licker

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009 10:12:37 PM »

Awesome! I love the stencils!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soaps by MareMare Blog Updated! 8/27

~Calling all Quilters! It's time to join the 2014 Quiltalong!~

Love painting your nails? Check out the Awesome Manicure Thread!
emilylala
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009 12:32:38 AM »

wow. you kitchen is fantastic. i love the colour. i wish my kitchen looked like this. congrats also on the bub. so jealous.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009 07:45:38 AM »

When I saw the title to your post, I was thinking "no way" , but this color really works.  Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

retroeva

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009 08:48:22 AM »

Thank y'all! And with all the white cabinets and appliances the room really didn't shrink Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WYOKrista

I love sunflowers

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2009 09:57:03 AM »

I like it! it looks wonderful, you also had a great kitchen to work with, nice and vintagey
THIS ROCKS   Logged

YES! I would love to be your Creative Memories Consultant! Just ask
retroeva

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009 10:06:56 AM »

I like it! it looks wonderful, you also had a great kitchen to work with, nice and vintagey

Yeah, the house was built in 1914 so as they brought the kitchen inside over the years it's really held its own. I love my old grumpy house Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tomico
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2009 08:04:18 PM »

I'd like to see more of the stencils... maybe on top of the door and the white built ins, just the virtical pannels. They look too good to hide just in the cubby.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
retroeva

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2009 08:21:46 PM »

I'd like to see more of the stencils... maybe on top of the door and the white built ins, just the virtical pannels. They look too good to hide just in the cubby.  Smiley

Thanks! I really like the stencils too. For a while I was going to get some brown paint and do a craftsman stained glass blocking pattern but since my house is right in that transition period from Victorian to Bungalow and has conflicting styles in the house because of that I decided to go with a damask/brocade design instead.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I Sew Cute
Jewelry and Trinkets Moderator

I'm a Fanatic Friend of Craftster!

Take me to the kittens!!! >^.^<

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2009 05:48:20 AM »

Your kitchen is great! Love the color! It looks like a happy fun room!  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out Trinkets & Jewelry! Wink
pinterest
blog
twitter
etsy
tomico
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2009 06:47:21 AM »

Thanks! I really like the stencils too. For a while I was going to get some brown paint and do a craftsman stained glass blocking pattern but since my house is right in that transition period from Victorian to Bungalow and has conflicting styles in the house because of that I decided to go with a damask/brocade design instead.

I have a Craftsman but I never pay attention to the style of my house when I decorate. I'm just too into Victorian and anything that comes close to that style. The only reason I bought the house I own was the price for the amount of space was too good even for Pittsburgh.  

I really enjoy seeing your rooms.

Tomico
« Last Edit: July 15, 2009 06:48:38 AM by tomico » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Copy Right
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009 09:53:11 AM »

Love the stenciling and the paintings.
Great room!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zowiewoahie

But it's my BIRTHDAY tomorrow!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009 01:33:09 PM »

I love the stencils! I used to think "eww stencils, kountry with a K!" But you prove how awesome it can look and work into many styles. Great job! I also think that adding a dog and baby would be funny, and a cute way to have "family portraits" in a original way. Better than stickers on the back of a mini van, that's for sure! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lets all go to Jack Taylor's to celebrate!
Dragonflower
Ecraftic

YAY!

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009 01:47:36 PM »

I love your kitchen! It's just so cheerful.
I painted the dining room in my old house a very similar color, also with bright white trim and I loved it too. (and still miss it!) It's amazing how such a bold color makes a room feel vibrant instead of small, isn't it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

In the end, only kindness matters.
retroeva

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009 08:34:06 PM »

I have a Craftsman but I never pay attention to the style of my house when I decorate. I'm just too into Victorian and anything that comes close to that style. The only reason I bought the house I own was the price for the amount of space was too good even for Pittsburgh.  

I really enjoy seeing your rooms.

Tomico

Thanks for the compliment on my other rooms! We were discussing last night how we should add more victorian touches to the house.

Love the stenciling and the paintings.
Great room!

I had the paintings in our old house and I was dying to find a place for them here Smiley

I love the stencils! I used to think "eww stencils, kountry with a K!" But you prove how awesome it can look and work into many styles. Great job! I also think that adding a dog and baby would be funny, and a cute way to have "family portraits" in a original way. Better than stickers on the back of a mini van, that's for sure! Cheesy

I know, right? I kept thinking that stenciling would be a great idea but I couldn't think of how to make it look right and not country bumkin. The other night my husband said the stencils looked a bit like angry squid dancing in our dishes. Score! Cheesy

I love your kitchen! It's just so cheerful.
I painted the dining room in my old house a very similar color, also with bright white trim and I loved it too. (and still miss it!) It's amazing how such a bold color makes a room feel vibrant instead of small, isn't it?

As soon as I cut out the first wall I got really anxious that it would look horrible but I'm really pleased with the cozy warmth and drama of the color. I also like how even thoughit is really bold its not overwhelming. I promise it isnt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

simplify
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2009 08:45:47 AM »

Lovey-love-love-love!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sharonemoreno
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2009 10:25:56 PM »

I love the room!  I am planning on an apple themed kitchen and this gives me great ideas Smiley 

Have you by chance thought of painting the black crumbcatchers under your burners red?  My hubby gave me the idea of using engine paint which will leave it shiny red and cures with the heat of the burners instead of peeling like regular paint?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
StacyCK
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2009 06:46:48 AM »

Beautiful job!  Red is such a hard color to paint with all those coats.  I love the stencils on the open shelf and your pictures you painted, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cherrydate
« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2009 10:23:35 PM »

I adore those cute stencils and what a bright and pretty red.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MWAH!
missmiserylovesyou
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2009 03:07:17 PM »

Beautiful job! And very jealous of a kitchen that size. Great work!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
retroeva

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2009 08:37:32 PM »

Woo-hoo! I'm loving the love Smiley

One of the reasons we bought the house was the great kitchen lay out. I can prepare food on the counters while someone else is stirring pots on the stove and we don't touch butts. It really is a luxury I'll require for all future home purchaces Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

gamerbabe
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2009 06:04:57 PM »

I LOVE your kitchen. It turned out awesome!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dmosier
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2009 10:57:51 AM »

Its gorgeous, I love red walls.  I was only able to talk my husband into 1 red wall in our house, but its by far my favorite Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cornrow Hair
Learn how to Style Your Hair for Prom - Modifying the Curly Look
Learn how to Style Your Hair for Prom - Competing the Curly Look
Learn how to Style Your Hair for Prom - Curly Look
Learn how to Style Your Hair for Prom - Modifying the Straight Look
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek
October 15, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...