A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 302,606
Currently Running With Scissors:
498 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Two Photos - Opinions Needed- PLEASE!  (Read 3002 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Haylie
Tutorial Contributor

Silly and Crafty!

Proud Army National Guard Wife!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009 09:57:14 PM »

House in color gets my vote!  The balance of the blues on the edges and the red roof with the orange leaves appeals to me.  I also love that the main part of the house is perfectly framed by the trees.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster needs you!

I love my husband!
<3 Cullen & Haylie - August 27, 2010 <3
summertimerolls

"I hope this works"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009 10:09:25 PM »

I too liked the house in color the best when I looked through.  I can't tell you why, I just did.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PM me if you are interested in a personal swap.
sla574
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009 10:39:31 PM »

I vote for the house in either b&w or sepia.  The butterfly is a great photo, the house is different...more substantial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
phoenixfiredesigns
~* The Amazing Miss M! *~

(That crazy Tree of Life Pendant girl)

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009 06:46:19 AM »

The house in color. The blue sky and the red roof are visually striking. Add in the orange leaves and it just pops. The picture looks far too flat and lifeless when converted into B&W.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

{ Like what I post? It's likely for sale! Etsy Storefront: http://phoenixfiredesigns.etsy.com }

{ My Blog: http://giveneyestosee.com/blog || LIKE PFD http://facebook.com/PhoenixFireDesigns }

{ Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/missmturner/ }
grammar_gremlin
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009 07:35:04 AM »

I agree that the house is more interesting subject matter, but to me that photo almost seems too busy.  Could she crop it differently to highlight one part of the picture as the definite point of interest?  In my opinion, as it is, the two trees on either side of the house are competing for attention and the fallen limb in the foreground is distracting. 

Leaving them as they are, my vote is for the butterfly/flower.  It's well-composed, and having and the background out of focus highlights the subject and gives it a nice depth of field.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
panda_angel99
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2009 10:52:25 AM »

im thinking more along the lines of grammer grimlen. something is "busy" aobut it, i didnt use that word but something feels odd about it.     the part that i kept coming back to is how the trees seem to follow the lines on other side of the roof going up... its just a little misplaced? 

the butterfly is more "typical pretty" 
but i think the house one is just has something that i cant put my finger on, and although not bad, not somthing i would choose overall.

Photography isnt my thing so i dont know about over lighting.   

Both are pretty neat thu  good skillz Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like pandas!!<p> Soon to be New Mommy<p> UCI Allumni<p>
Calentine
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2009 11:28:58 AM »

I'm gonna take a chance here and say....the butterfly.  If I were going to hang one of them in my house, it would be the sepia house pic (I love the way the trees frame the house, and I like that it's a little bit creepy), but I like how vivid the colors in the butterfly/flower picture are (I don't think it's overlit at all...I think it looks natural), and I LOOOOVE how sharp/crisp/focused the picture is!

Tell your daughter to keep up with photography, though, no matter which she chooses, and whether or not she wins anything...she's obviously got talent for it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
faeriefly
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2009 01:01:23 PM »

For competition, the house.  The butterfly is fantastic, but a bit cliche.  The house is a nice capture that demonstrates sound technical skill.  I like how the trees frame the house.  I would suggest cropping in on the house more, and perhaps decreasing the saturation of the color to 50 percent (but not lower than 25 percent).  I like the monotone, but a hint of the colors would be nice. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SimplyFabulous!
My home away from home

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2009 01:55:29 PM »

Thank you all so much!!  Im pretty sure we are going to go with the house in color and crop in on it some.  Her judging is Tuesday, so I will let you know how it goes.  Thanks for all the complements.  I am hoping she does keep up with the photography.  I think she does really well for a 10 year old just beginning, I think she has a natural talent for it.  We really appreciate all the help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.  -ee cummings
flower
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2009 02:30:04 PM »

The butterfly is fantastic, but a bit cliche. 

4-H judges have seen a bazillion close-ups of single flowers and butterflies.  It is pretty, but not unique in the world of 4-H photography.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Interpret Sewing Patterns
How to Make a Split Stitch
How to Operate an Embroidery Machine
How to Write in Italic Handwriting
How to Stitch a French Knot
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...