A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 298,052
Currently Running With Scissors:
584 Guests and 31 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Two Photos - Opinions Needed- PLEASE!  (Read 3131 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SimplyFabulous!
My home away from home

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 11, 2009 07:04:57 PM »

My daughter is doing a photography project for 4-H.  Out of about 100 photos she has taken in the last few months we have to choose one to enlarge and frame.  We have narrowed it down to these two.  I would appreciate any advice you could give me on which one is better.  I know what one I would choose, but she disagrees.  Which one do you think is more artistically correct (not just which one is prettier)? Thanks in advance!

Edited to add more photos.  Here is the house in b&w and sepia. 

« Last Edit: July 11, 2009 08:49:37 PM by SimplyFabulous! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The most wasted of all days is one without laughter.  -ee cummings
YarnWranglerC
Fiber

If only I could craft all the time.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009 07:20:38 PM »

Well in my humble opinion the Butterfly and Flower is prettier, but I thing the house is more artistic. Maybe try it in Sepia or B/W. That would make it super fantastic! Not that they aren't already!!!!

My sister did 4H too, and entered a bunch of photos for the fair! I should get her to join and give her feedback!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Open to personal swaps, especially for fiber or spinning related tools!
flower
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009 07:58:36 PM »

I'm not a photography pro, but I do know 4-H and I know photography judges are very particular.  I think they are both nice pictures, but I think the butterfly is a tiny bit overlit.  It could just be my computer screen. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SimplyFabulous!
My home away from home

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2009 08:20:10 PM »

I never thought of doing the house in b&W or sepia!  We will have to try that.

Yes, I thought the butterfly one is over lit too. 

Thanks for your help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

N30Nb100d
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2009 08:26:43 PM »

I have no experience with 4-H but I have studied photography a bit. I would go with the house too. Something about the framing of the butterfly doesn't sit right with me. The house draws me in much more because it seems more balanced within the frame.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
boo_zombie
rubybluedesigns.etsy.com

rubybluedesigns.etsy.com

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2009 08:37:48 PM »

the house
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CHECK OUT MY ETSY!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/rubybluedesigns

http://rubybluedesigns.blogspot.com
http://www.wists.com/ruby_blue13

CURRENT SWAPS:
exstatic about eclipse - sent/waiting to recieve
ORGANISING: Two Tiny Things Fave Band Swap
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=351944
pinokeeo

Best of 2013 winner, but this is just as good.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2009 08:57:41 PM »

I think I would go with the house and use the black and white photography, although since it has been photoshopped the judges may feel differently about it.

I just like the look of the B&W.  Nice photos.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ragdollpirate
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2009 09:02:52 PM »

The house. I like it in Black and white but, I think that it should be the original cause my friend didn't get good marks for turning an altered photo for 4h when i was in HS but, then again I graduated about 10 years ago.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Just when I think I'm out, they pull me back in." ~Veronica Mars
ragdollpiratedesigns.etsy.com
boo_zombie
rubybluedesigns.etsy.com

rubybluedesigns.etsy.com

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2009 09:12:58 PM »

the sepia takes away from the eeriness of the house, the black and white adds more depth and foreboding qualities
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CHECK OUT MY ETSY!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/rubybluedesigns

http://rubybluedesigns.blogspot.com
http://www.wists.com/ruby_blue13

CURRENT SWAPS:
exstatic about eclipse - sent/waiting to recieve
ORGANISING: Two Tiny Things Fave Band Swap
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=351944
N30Nb100d
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2009 09:51:54 PM »

My favorite is still the house in color. The b/w looks nice too, but I feel like it doesn't have as much depth, especially in the sky.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Haylie
Tutorial Contributor

Silly and Crafty!

Proud Army National Guard Wife!

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2009 09:57:14 PM »

House in color gets my vote!  The balance of the blues on the edges and the red roof with the orange leaves appeals to me.  I also love that the main part of the house is perfectly framed by the trees.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster needs you!

I love my husband!
<3 Cullen & Haylie - August 27, 2010 <3
summertimerolls

"I hope this works"

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2009 10:09:25 PM »

I too liked the house in color the best when I looked through.  I can't tell you why, I just did.  Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PM me if you are interested in a personal swap.
sla574
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2009 10:39:31 PM »

I vote for the house in either b&w or sepia.  The butterfly is a great photo, the house is different...more substantial.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
phoenixfiredesigns
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

~* The Amazing Miss M! *~

(That crazy Tree of Life Pendant girl)

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2009 06:46:19 AM »

The house in color. The blue sky and the red roof are visually striking. Add in the orange leaves and it just pops. The picture looks far too flat and lifeless when converted into B&W.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

{ Like what I post? It's likely for sale! Etsy Storefront: http://phoenixfiredesigns.etsy.com }

{ My Blog: http://giveneyestosee.com/blog || LIKE PFD http://facebook.com/PhoenixFireDesigns }

{ Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/missmturner/ }
grammar_gremlin
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2009 07:35:04 AM »

I agree that the house is more interesting subject matter, but to me that photo almost seems too busy.  Could she crop it differently to highlight one part of the picture as the definite point of interest?  In my opinion, as it is, the two trees on either side of the house are competing for attention and the fallen limb in the foreground is distracting. 

Leaving them as they are, my vote is for the butterfly/flower.  It's well-composed, and having and the background out of focus highlights the subject and gives it a nice depth of field.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
panda_angel99
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2009 10:52:25 AM »

im thinking more along the lines of grammer grimlen. something is "busy" aobut it, i didnt use that word but something feels odd about it.     the part that i kept coming back to is how the trees seem to follow the lines on other side of the roof going up... its just a little misplaced? 

the butterfly is more "typical pretty" 
but i think the house one is just has something that i cant put my finger on, and although not bad, not somthing i would choose overall.

Photography isnt my thing so i dont know about over lighting.   

Both are pretty neat thu  good skillz Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I like pandas!!<p> Soon to be New Mommy<p> UCI Allumni<p>
Calentine
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2009 11:28:58 AM »

I'm gonna take a chance here and say....the butterfly.  If I were going to hang one of them in my house, it would be the sepia house pic (I love the way the trees frame the house, and I like that it's a little bit creepy), but I like how vivid the colors in the butterfly/flower picture are (I don't think it's overlit at all...I think it looks natural), and I LOOOOVE how sharp/crisp/focused the picture is!

Tell your daughter to keep up with photography, though, no matter which she chooses, and whether or not she wins anything...she's obviously got talent for it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
faeriefly
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2009 01:01:23 PM »

For competition, the house.  The butterfly is fantastic, but a bit cliche.  The house is a nice capture that demonstrates sound technical skill.  I like how the trees frame the house.  I would suggest cropping in on the house more, and perhaps decreasing the saturation of the color to 50 percent (but not lower than 25 percent).  I like the monotone, but a hint of the colors would be nice. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SimplyFabulous!
My home away from home

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2009 01:55:29 PM »

Thank you all so much!!  Im pretty sure we are going to go with the house in color and crop in on it some.  Her judging is Tuesday, so I will let you know how it goes.  Thanks for all the complements.  I am hoping she does keep up with the photography.  I think she does really well for a 10 year old just beginning, I think she has a natural talent for it.  We really appreciate all the help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

flower
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2009 02:30:04 PM »

The butterfly is fantastic, but a bit cliche. 

4-H judges have seen a bazillion close-ups of single flowers and butterflies.  It is pretty, but not unique in the world of 4-H photography.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

YarnWranglerC
Fiber

If only I could craft all the time.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2009 05:06:19 PM »

Well I like the house in Sepia. Its fantastic! And she's only 10!!!! Wow! Tell her to stick with the photography.
I also like the house in color and cropped in more. I would try changing the saturation down to 50 or so too. Maybe just play around with it.
Awesome!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Open to personal swaps, especially for fiber or spinning related tools!
craftytechy
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2009 08:24:01 PM »

These are great photos and shows great talent.  My honest opinion is that I would go with the colored house.  It has the most character and personality of all of them.  While the rest are interesting to look at and the butterfly is very pretty, the colored house is the one that actually makes you feel something, which is a sign of good photography.  Normally I prefer black and white pictures, but in this case the color one really brings you into the picture.  Well that's my humble opinion as a photography aficionado.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lindsycarranza

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2009 09:33:13 PM »

I am in no way a photographer but as much as I love macro and macro flowers and flowers LOL I feel they are overdone and common place. I love the house especially the color version. It has more depth and as an artist tells more of a story that the speia or b/w.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Okay so once again I am completely redoing my pictures. Got tired of photobucket, the only reason I used it was for here so I decided I will just use Craftster's photo uploader. So while I am switching over my photo links will be broken. Message me if there is a post you would like the pics for.
starblossom
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2009 11:09:04 PM »

I like the house in colour the best. As much as I love B&W photos, I think the blue of the sky and the colour of the roof make the photo feel alive. The butterfly is really pretty but it is not as creative as the house photo. Everyone knows butterflies are pretty, but it takes a true artistic eye to see the beauty of those trees and that house. Not like I'm a photographer or anything but that's what I think Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's not in what you say, it's in what you do. (Oasis)
http://neatstuffs.wordpress.com
erdbeerblau
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2009 01:00:19 AM »

i'm for the house in colour too.

maybe you could change the detail something like this

but i'm not completely sure about that. cutting away a part of the sky might take away some of the pictures feeling.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AlternaWidget

More insects to worry about

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2009 04:03:58 AM »

We were in 4H for years and loved it! Did your daughter use the photography project book? Based on my recollections of the 2 project books here in our county, I would choose the "House in Color", original crop, for its strong diagonals. It also has a lot of details to keep the viewer interested.
I DO like the butterfly shot, too, and would recommend entering it in the open class photography (we have a special section for children we call "Junior Fair") and/or printing it on transfer paper for a tee shirt or tote.
Tell her to keep up the good work!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
vwluvervw
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2009 05:04:48 AM »

I like the house one a little better... only I'm not so fond of the branch that's laying there... the 2 trees frame pretty nicely. I wouldn't mess with anything in photoshop - as my photography teacher has told us that a good photograph is never messed with... the picture you take is what you want people to see...
Good luck with entering it... I grew up in 4-H and still enter my photos in our 4-H fair.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SimplyFabulous!
My home away from home

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2009 06:31:04 AM »

Thank you all, again!  She is so flattered with everyone's complements.  Yes, we used the 4-H project book.  She really has enjoyed it and has learned so much from it.  She takes her camera EVERYWHERE with her.  That is how she got this shot.  We took a different route home one day and came across this house. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweetpea001
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2009 07:40:06 AM »

Personally, I prefer the house and I'd go with the color version, personally.  I really like the depth of the sky (which I think is washed out in the sepia and B&W) and I think the red roof, dark trees, and blue sky look striking together.  Your daughter did a good job!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
parallax
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2009 10:32:56 AM »

I don't know if this will help at all but..

I much prefer the subject matter of the house and trees and overall find it a more intriguing image. However, its placement in the middle of the photo bothers my sensibilities. I love how the trees frame the house but I think it would look better if she were to crop in a bit on the bottom and the sides, but not the top. That would crop away what seems to be excessive foreground and also situate the house more in the bottom two-thirds of the photo. I think that would create better tension in the image.

Also,  I definitely prefer it in color, it has a lovely palette and is pretty well balanced. I would actually bring up the contrast just a touch to really make the blue and red pop.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009 10:42:52 AM by parallax » THIS ROCKS   Logged

fabricfightsfire
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2009 10:54:50 AM »

although the flower/bee picture is pretty, I think the house is much more unique!
I personally love the sepia, but any of the three are great Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
maehem

.glitz and glamour.

« Reply #31 on: July 13, 2009 11:08:15 AM »

the house pic in sepia. definitely. it brings out all the details and is creepy yet beautiful at the same time. or if you do it in color, play with the contrast.

her butterfly is beautiful, but to cliche for an art show, i think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<3 alyssamae
hoboe

I'm cute and fluffy!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 13, 2009 11:11:36 AM »

I would choose the house in sepia.  The color version seems to take away from the details.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SimplyFabulous!
My home away from home

« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2009 07:11:23 PM »

She got an "A" and a blue ribbon!  Thanks so much everyone!  We did use the color photo of the house and cropped in on it a little.  The judge told her three different times how wonderful the photo was.  And we are excited because we can also enter it in the open class art competition.  So we are going to enter both it and the butterfly picture. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindsycarranza

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2009 07:12:40 PM »

That's awesome! Tell her Congrats! And she did a wonderful job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Okay so once again I am completely redoing my pictures. Got tired of photobucket, the only reason I used it was for here so I decided I will just use Craftster's photo uploader. So while I am switching over my photo links will be broken. Message me if there is a post you would like the pics for.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Fry and Serve Fried Green Tomatoes
How to Bread Tomatoes when Making Fried Green Tomatoes
How to Make Onion Tomato Ragu to Garnish Fried Green Tomatoes
How to Make Preserved Lemons to Garnish Fried Green Tomatoes
How to Make Ricotta Salata to Garnish Fried Green Tomatoes
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Pea, Potato, Leek, Mint Soup
@Home This Weekend: Create a Spooky Yard
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: Featured Artist Katrina Polacek

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...