A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 304,013
Currently Running With Scissors:
370 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: How do you sew a beaded applique?  (Read 1098 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Juniper_Ann
« on: February 09, 2009 09:11:26 PM »

I'm making some beaded & sequined appliques.  The fabric will not show.  I know I want to back them with felt and/or fabric stiffener to give them some body, but do I add the felt to the fabric before or after beading?  What fabric do you recommend I use?  Something stiff that will stand up to the beads, or something drapy that will not show wrinkles when I sew it onto the backing?  Or should I just bead directly onto felt so I don't need to worry about hems? 

What would you do? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Be the change you want to see in the world - -Gandhi
misfitknits
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009 09:00:28 PM »

well, i found this topic by searching on craftster, and i have to tell you, i'm wondering the EXACT SAME THING!! i have some really beautiful vintage sequin and bead appliques, and was wondering how to go about making them. i will give you my opinions *and these are not fact based, since i have as much knowledge about this topic as the original thread author*. BUT this is what i can gather about my vintage applique pieces.

the were made on some sort of mesh/netting, like an organza or fine tulle. and the beading is stitched right onto it! the only place that you can see the stitching on the other side is where there are some clear/pearlescent sequins. once the beading was finished, the applique was cut out of the base fabric, with no seam allowance, and no attemtps were made to finish the edges. it doesn't look like this applique has EVER been used, so i'm not sure if the unfinished edges and no backing material were part of the plan, or these appliques were simply unfinished. if you were planning in appliqueing it by hand onto fabric, you cut it out with an 1/8 in seam allowance *or however much you wanted* and then hand applique it using the needle-turn method, which i've done before and it isn't nearly as hard as you would imagine, i tought myself out of book!

i should mention that in some places there are beads coming off, or places where the thread has broken. BUT this piece is really old, maybe 20's, and my MIL got it in a big box of craft things at an estate sale, so there is no telling what kind of life it had, how people took care of it, what conditions it has ever been stored in *obviously, tossed loose in a box is not a great preservation technique* how much there is no backing, no felt or interfacing *which are suggestions i've come across on various other places around the web*. it also should be mentioned that some of the stitches are really long, where the original maker had sewed down as many as 7 beads in a single stitch *making it much easier for threads to catch and tear, and beads to flow*

if you didn't want to leave it without a backing, i also heard the idea of using a strong fabric glue to coat the entire back, but i can't attest to its success or failure. maybe you could practice a few techniques and see which ones work better, which you like, which wears better, etc.

i really want to try making some, so if i make any progress *or dire failure, i guess* i'll mention that! Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting and spinning and the hilarity that comes along with it:
http://www.thelandofmisfitknits.blogspot.com
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009 01:50:54 AM »

I used to do a lot of Bridal, and have worked with those things a lot. Gluing them with a watered down solution of tacky glue, and a paintbrush should work . If you want to secure the beads, just don't run too many stitches. Also, you can try drawing the designs, spaced out a little on a larger piece of silk organza. It would be good to stretch it in an embroidery hoop, so they come out flat. Tie off beads regularly. We made some by beading lace flowers. those were pretty, and did not have to be filled in solid. I like using a small flat tray with a pad I made of velvet on one side., wool on the other. (That's what I had) It lets you pick up the beads without them moving around. You can pick them up easier with the needle. I don't think felt backing will do anything but make them real thick later, But it's ok if that's what you want. We used to use a speck of glue with a toothpick to stop beads running on bridal gowns, when we'd make them out of beaded lace. That was my boss's idea. and it worked!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009 05:13:10 PM »

Just thought i'd mention it... This is where the white marking pens, pencils, and white tracing paper comes in. Everything else will leave your work dirty. If you must, you can try dissapearing ink, the kindthet rinses out, but you'll have to get your work wet. So have you gotten anywhere with this yet? I hope you post some pics soon... K  oh, geez, thinking about this... I really miss my boxes of goodies that are in storage... One year I spent $100.oo just on a variety stash of white beads. not to mention the other stuff! If I ever get close to getting married, I'm going to  be doing some of my own beading.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2009 05:17:13 PM by KLKing - Reason: after-thought... » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Arthur Brooks on His Book the Road to Freedom
Francis Slakey on Fitness
The Life of Queen Lead-Singer, Freddie Mercury
A New Sense of Social Purpose
Climbing Mt. Everest
Latest Blog Articles
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...