A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,605
Currently Running With Scissors:
654 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Is there a way to know if something is sterling if it is not marked?  (Read 637 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dolfynbead

my kid wants to go back to the beach! me too!

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2009 10:13:07 AM »

I bought some chain a while back that was sterling. Then later I bought some of that same style chain that was NOT sterling. But the two are identical. I can't go by weight because one is longer than the other and I do not want to cut it yet. Is there anything I can do to figure it out? I figured the sterling would have tarnished by now, but it is still shiny and new!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aliengrace
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009 11:16:25 PM »

If they're the same shade of shiny white metal, then presumably they are both silver. But then one would be plated. One way to check if something's plated is to tarnish a little bit of it. The plating will wear off quick, leaving a different shade of metal underneath. You can do this with sulfurous chemicals, such as Liver of Sulfur, or a boiled egg left sealed overnight with a bit of the chain from each. Unfortunately, sometimes silver things are coated with rhodium or other things to stop tarnishing, so it isn't a surefire guarantee, but silver plating tends to be on cheap stuff and probably doesn't go so far as to plate the plating. If the chain is real silver then tarnishing it won't do much, you can just clean it again with stuff like potato water, or baking soda + salt + aluminium foil (do a search).

I don't have any other suggestions, sorry! I presume the chain is fine enough that you can't get a gander at a cross-section of a link for a different coloured metal underneath.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catdaddytn
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2009 03:23:37 PM »

My understanding is that the difference can be made with a magnet.  Silver plated items will attract the magnet, but sterling will not.  I've tried this with several items and it has been a true test each time.  The problem with this method is that some items are metalized (or some similar name) plastic.  The magnet test does not hold true with plastic. 

Try the magnet thing with pieces that you know are silver and pieces that are not for a trial.  I've heard folks say to take a magnet to yard sales for this very reason.

I have one bead in question and asked my bead store staff and it was suggested that it might be plastic.  The "bead lady" said that if i had more than one, we could smash it and see, for sure.  I suppose plastic will shatter.  I'm tempted to try the smash test.

One jewelry maker told me that all silver should be marked, though.

good luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catdaddytn
Bionic Dingo
Cunning Artificer

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009 10:50:58 PM »

if it's sterling and not artisan made it's extremley unlikely the chain would not be marked. (Gotta justify that price tag!)

The magnet thing will work on pieces that are either iron or nickle alloys.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<< I'm on Etsy!  www.magpiehouse.ets y.com >>
michelle232
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009 11:39:26 AM »

everyone made some great suggestions. I think the truest way to test out Sterling Silver is to cut through it. If you don't want to mark your piece, try it on a jump ring or what not.

There are sterling silver chemical testers that will let you know if it's truly sterling silver but that will also require you to mar your piece.

There is a machine also that will test it for you without having to damage your piece...but i heard it's extremely expensive. A few G's or so.

Another thing is the price. That should also indicate whether or not your piece is silver or not.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2010 07:43:22 AM by rackycoo - Reason: to comply with Craftster rules » THIS ROCKS   Logged

----------------------------------
http://www.stonesandfindings.com
----------------------------------
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Poster text in Photoshop
How to Create a Zoom Camera Effect in Photoshop
How to Add a tearing Effect to Your Image in Photoshop
How to Create a Glow Effect in Photoshop
How to Create a Rainbow Color Effect in Photoshop
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...