dessert sushi! sugar sushi! candy sushi! Whatever you wanna call it, it's yumm-o and super fun to make. I made these for a party this week and they were a big hit!
I found inspiration for these little pretties years ago at not martha http://www.notmartha.org/tomake/hostesssushi/
, but had forgotten all about them until recently, when I also found great posts at Evil Mad Scientist http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/DessertSushi
. Pardon the tres horrible photos... my kitchen has awful lighting.
Here's a list of supplies I used:
* Zingers (Those raspberry Twinkie-like things with coconut on the outside)
* Ladyfingers (SO glad I ran into these in the bakery; they worked awesome)
* Vanilla icing
* Shredded coconut
* Fruit Roll-ups/Fruit by the Foot (Good luck finding green; it wasn't as easy as I'd hoped)
* Some sugary sour apple rope stuff (dunno, found it in the candy store)
* Swedish Fish-like knockoffs
* Dried fruit & nuts (mango, pineapple, pumpkin seeds, choc. covered sunflower seeds)
* Colored nonpareils
I'd highly encourage you to give these a shot. They were pretty easy once you do a couple and wicked fun to make; not to mention shopping for all the "forbidden" sweets! You can totally let your imagination go crazy with ingredients, combinations, and presentations. Have fun!
These little babies were my personal favorite (probably cause they had the most icing!). I was skeptical, but pleasantly surprised at how good everything tasted all together. I confess, many fish were harmed in the making of this recipe.
This post also blogged at :: http://paperandstitch.blogspot.com/2009/07/something-is-fishy-here.html