A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 302,968
Currently Running With Scissors:
511 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tunisian stitched tapestry with filet crochet bat.  (Read 1744 times)
Tags for this thread: vampire  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Songs4Drowning
lost soul livin' in a fish bowl

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 11, 2009 03:34:01 AM »

In the Monster Mash swap, my partner mentioned that she liked sexy monsters as well as cute and silly and scary. So I went searching for a sexy pictures of those monsters who do sexy things all the time: vampires. I found http://xxdevilishonexx.deviantart.com/art/vampire-kisses-88201623. Then I taught myself how to do the tunisian crochet stitch. So easy! I worked the image up in photoshop to add more contrast and lighten it up so there weren't so many different grades of shading and graphed it out with the knitPro web app and got to work! The border is done in the Cathedral edging and for the bottom I did one pattern of the bat curtains in filet crochet from out of the Happy Hooker book by Deb Stoller.

It was a lot of work, days of crochet and I thought my hand would never uncramp a few times! But I'm really happy with it and I hope she loves it.

In progress shots:

Hanging on the wall:

For fun, the teaser pic I'd posted in the swap thread for her.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

joonsang
Reira_Valentine

Let's Make Biscuts.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009 12:59:09 AM »

Hi!

I had a question in regards to changing colors. I'm having a hard time doing it, and I don't understand it. I wanted to try making something in the fashion you did...

bah
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only those who Dream, are worthy of creating ideas.
delfina
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009 02:33:34 AM »

It's beautiful! I don't know what the tunisian crochet stitch is, I'll have to look it up!

Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://youcraft.org -- free crafts classifieds
http://www.etsy.com/shop/DelfinaV -- Etsy shop
Songs4Drowning
lost soul livin' in a fish bowl

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2009 04:45:16 AM »

Hi!

I had a question in regards to changing colors. I'm having a hard time doing it, and I don't understand it. I wanted to try making something in the fashion you did...

bah

I had trouble changing colors, too, and had to scrap the first one I tried making. It had about ten different colors in it and was just waaay to complicated. Starting simple (this one only had three colors) and an image that has larger blocks of one color is a life saver until you get the hang of things.

Basically, When you get to the stitch you want to change colors, put your hook through the next vertical bar, and hook onto the new color, making sure to leave plenty of a tail to weave in so that it doesn't come undone from that point. Use that yarn to stitch however much you need to go. If you've only gone a few stitches (I'd say three or less) then just drop the line of second color and pick up the first and start stitching with that again. If it's been longer, you will probably want to cut and tie the first color or use another bobbin of it to pick up again after color #2. I hope that doesn't sound more complicated than it needs to be.

I can't link to the tutorial that I used right now because youtube is down, but here's a site that I also used when I was trying to figure out how to do the changes: http://www.crochet.borgbilly.com/tutorial/afghan.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

joonsang
Reira_Valentine

Let's Make Biscuts.

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2009 06:40:22 AM »

Thanks!

I found that guy randomly, I also found http://crochetandy.blogspot.com/2007/09/basic-tunisian-crochet-stitch-color.html I tried to switch colors and all that but all i got was a long line hiding in my work.

Hmmm, when youtube is up , please do post your vid Cheesy

Thanks!

Great job on your work Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Only those who Dream, are worthy of creating ideas.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Canon G10 Getting Started: Part 2 - Basic Picture
Canon G10 Getting Started: Part 1 - Setup
Canon A650 IS: Getting Started
Canon A610/A620: Set White Balance Function
Canon A610/A620: Set Underwater Function
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...