A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 303,769
Currently Running With Scissors:
430 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Scary Backyard makeover on A budget....  (Read 6587 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: July 10, 2009 04:11:44 PM »

I really just need some ideas as to what I can do with my backyard to make it party worthy.  I am planning on replacing the fence in August.  I removed a rotting shed in my back yard hoping to find a nice slab on which I could build a pergola instead I found 6 uneven ones and a fence that was rotted with posts that are not sunk in the ground...i also found lots of animal skeletons.  Not fun.  I would really like a budget friendly way to make it look good until I can get in there and rip out the cement.  The get together I have been asked to host is in September.  SO far I have repainted an ugly beigy yellow garage door a crisp white, ripped out a shed, built a raised bed garden (I would have put it on one of the slabs if I had known I was going to be trying to disguise a big slab of concrete a month after I built it) out of cinderblock with the intention of covering it with a mural or maybe a moasic and I planted even more long lived annuals.  I also stenciled two of the concrete slabs in my yard and created some colorful yard art from clay.  If anyone has any other ideas or suggestions for my yard and the huge slab (I will be getting rid of the excess stuff before the party) I would love to hear them.

This is the slab that was under my shed, the idea I had was removing the smaller slabs myself and planting flowers but leaving the larger 2...but I don't have much, any experience with that kind of thing.

More of my tiny back yard...

Some pretties...hopefully they will still be here for the party.

One of the slabs I stenciled...

All Vintage, All the time.

You can be my flamingo.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2009 11:52:50 AM »

I am having trouble seeing exactly the set up? It LOOKS like maybe you could build the pergola on the even slabs...those are the larger?....and possibly leave the small two as small patios..maybe put potted flowers around their perimeter.
I say try and find a solution other than tearing up concrete right now because of mess.
Could you put wooden decks over them? That is another thought....more expensive...

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010 07:56:24 PM »

That sucks you are finding so many problems with your backyard. I ran into the same thing with my bathroom, try to fix one thing then start
finding more problems! Decking sounds like a good idea if you don't like the concrete. I used some interlocking acacia deck tiles to cover up some horrible areas in front of my house, and they weren't too pricey! I just found them at a hardware/garden store.
Clean Star
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2010 07:10:07 PM »

You could actually make the slabs work for you. If you wanted to you could put a wooden deck over it, or just leave the slabs. Get some really nice pots and plant some nice plants in them. Then you could put a table and chairs, or just a couple of chairs with a little table. Also among the potted plants, you could even add a bird bath with other garden decor. This would look very nice I think, and make your yard looking great. I could go on and on, but I think this might give you something to think about.  Your yard just needs a little imagination, and you can have so much fun decorating your yard that people will say wow!, and it doesn't have to cost a lot of money.

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Looking Under the Surface of a Renoir Masterpiece
‘I Am 8-Bit’ Art Show Opening 2008
The Comics Run: Justice League Number 6
The Comics Run: New Green Arrow
The Comics Run: Saga Number 1
Latest Blog Articles
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...