first attempt at homemade pop tarts
my wonderful swap partner rag doll pirate gave me the recipe because its hard to find pop tarts in australia! they have strawberry jam filling and strawberry icing/glaze
nommy! nom nooommm!
nom nom nommmm lol
YOU SHOULD THANK RAGDOLLPIRATE SHE GAVE ME THE RECIPE COZ SHE IS TOTALLY AWESOME AND I <3 HER!
Homemade Pop Tarts Recipe
23 min | 15 min prep
12 pop tarts
For Pie Crust
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup shortening
1/4 cup butter, softened
3 tablespoons cold water
1/2 cup jam (your choice)
1 cup powdered sugar
3 ounces milk, to thin
1. Preheat oven to 450°F
2. Combine flour and salt in a large bowl. Add shortening and butter and blend with a fork, pastry cutter, or your hands. Blend until mixture is fairly coarse. Add water, 1 tablespoons at a time, gently mixing dough after each addiction until dough forms a ball.
3. Place dough on a lightly floured surface and roll into a square/rectangle. To about 1/8 thickness. Cut out long strips about 2 inches wide and 3 inches long. Repeat until dough runs out.
4. Take one pie crust rectangle and lace 1 teaspoons of jam on top. Cover with another piece of pie crust and crimp all four edges. Repeat with the rest of dough. Place Pop-tarts on a baking sheet with parchment paper, and bake for 7-8 minutes.
5. While pop-tarts are baking, make glaze. Place powdered sugar in a bowl. Pour milk slowing until it has a consistency of really thick syrup. 1/2 a tablespoons to 1 tablespoons might be enough.
6. Once pop-tarts are done and cooled, top with glaze. Sprinkle and decorate with colorful sprinkle.
For cherry filling just whiz some cherry pie filling until smooth.
For Chocolate add coco powder to the dough and just add bits of chocolate into the middle.
For Sam ores add some graham cracker to the crust and then put chocolate chunks and marshmallows for the filling.
NOMMY NOMM NOMMM!