A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 296,583
Currently Running With Scissors:
581 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fiber Friday - 10 July 2009  (Read 3670 times)
Tags for this thread: fiber_friday  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

knkurz
« on: July 09, 2009 08:56:05 PM »

Hooray, I'm starting this week!  It's not quite Friday where I am, but it IS on the East Coast of the US!

I only have two this week (but that's better than zero!)

First: Clowns in the Underground, tencel, 2 oz, 102 yards, 20 wpi

Spun from:

(dyeing by NaturalObsessions, who was recently the featured artist on Artfire)

Next, qiviut laceweight, wpi approx 25:

For making this (very unblocked!) scarf:

Also new with me:

*New camera abilities with my SO's camera phone (much much much better than the digital camera I was using, somehow..)!  e.g.:

(I have never before gotten accurately colored pictures of this skein!)

*I tentatively opened an Artfire account.  I think I like it better than Etsy :O Does anyone else have dual accounts and a preference?

*My family is up and I was going to do some food dyeing with them.  If it does work out, I'll definitely be posting pictures.

*Also, we built a skeinwinder that attaches to my Kiwi (something Ashford doesn't make >:[ )!  I have pictures, but none uploaded at this point.

I'm excited to see everyone else's yarns!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2009 08:56:34 PM by knkurz » THIS ROCKS   Logged

punk rock puppy
Magic Ninja

Juggalo Love!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009 09:21:23 PM »

wow those are beautiful. the clown one is my fave.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

yeah... i should probably get on that...
Seraphina_de_Sangre
The Daredevil Sky Pirate

Down to a 12 and shedding more lbs. everyday!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2009 10:35:10 PM »

So pretty. I wish I could spin...or get my hands on some of your yarn!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps
Multi-Themed Steampunk Swap

Wist
jiniphur
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2009 05:21:34 AM »

So I've never posted anything on fiber Friday before, but always look at everyone elses pretty yarn so here it go's my first fiber Friday.

No name, corridale, food color dyed, Navajo plied (very first attempt)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009 05:24:30 AM by jiniphur » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jazzturtle
Every breath is Healing...

Life is better with jazz!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2009 05:58:45 AM »

Happy Friday eveyone!! I'm spinning really hard for the tour de fleece.. so I've got a lot to share! My goal is to complete at least one yarn a day thru the tour.. and so far I'm on my goal!!

This is the starting morning.. July 4th. Some merino, cashmere, silk, bamboo, banana silk and sparkle on the bobbin...

Aquarius- 4 oz and 43 yards of corespun/tailspun kid mohair locks with 5 colors purple flashing angelina

King of Pop- black and white alpaca and silver angelina batts, red and carbonized bamboo, red black and white kid mohair locks, gold jumbo bling, red gold and aluminum angelina, red white silver black and gold sequins, red and black silk fabric, red sari silk, red silver and gold lurex
This yarn was screaming for me to make it a reality since MJ's death.  I got Thriller when it came out on LP- when I was 7.  MJ was a huge part of my life soundtrack.. I wanted to spin a yarn that included the iconic images I have of him from my growing up... the white sequins glove, the white tshirt and black hat, the red jacket with black zippers, the crazy gold leotard outfit..  This yarn has it all! I'm really happy with how it turned out!

Forest Floor-3 oz- yardage not measured yet, corespun assorted fibers

Green Apple- 4 oz- not measured yardage yet. Carded kid mohair locks and angelina, and uncarded locks.
I spun this yarn "mohairy" (translucent over novelty yarn) with spots of tailspun locks

School of Fish- This has to be one of my fave yarns I've spun this week! I blended a mix of blue farm wool's (targhee, corridale, cormo, merino x) with rainbow kid mohair locks and TONS of blue angelina.  I just LOVE it!! This one is destined for my new loom!!  There's SO much texture from the locks and the different fleeces

Let the sunshine in- Corespun uncarded targhee/finn fleece with angelina and glitterati

Macaw- merino/seacell with angelina

Fiery Sunset- bfl/silk with angelina

Some supercoils-- will be turned into necklaces

More supercoils destined for necklaces

I made some fun fiber necklaces with felted yarn, felted cords and crochet ribbon.. wear your fiber art!!

I also felted some YUMTASTIC vegan soaps (well.. the soap is vegan.. not the wool sweater around it!) LOL!

I carded up 15 batts last week as well!! I'm on a carding frenzy.. and will be at it tonight and tomorrow as well!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop-  Lots of Handspun yarn and Fun Fiber Batts!
http://Jazzturtle.etsy.com

Ravelry Group:
http://www.ravelry.com/groups/jazzturtle-creates

Flickr photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jazzturtle/

My thoughts and processes..
http://jazzturtlecreations.blogspot.com
nosierosie
I'm a nose and a smelly one at that.

Yeah, that's right, my name is Mrs. Rose Bloom.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2009 06:15:01 AM »

Lordy lordy!  They are all so gorgeous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

casmir

Bobbilicious on ravelry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2009 08:26:32 AM »

Oh, jazzturtle! I love the King of Pop you spun up! It's exactly the MJ I remember, too. How did you do the soaps? I've been wanting to try some but don't know how.
Here are a couple that I've spun this week:

my daughter named this skein purplicious. It's a three ply of various fibers, about heavy worsted weight, 101 yards.

This skein is Morning Mist, also a three ply of various fibers, worsted weight, about 98 yards.
I've been so inspired every week by the colors and textures that everyone shares that I'm trying to experiment, break out of my roving-braid monogamy, and be more daring. One of these days I may have something as gorgeous as the skeins above. Grin
« Last Edit: July 10, 2009 08:46:52 AM by casmir » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thenutmeg2000

If sense were common, Everybody would have some..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2009 10:13:59 AM »

Jazz you never fail to amaze us all with your spinning talents..You are on a serious fiber spree!! I envy your time. I hate retail life. I spun some yarn this week for a swap. I can only list a teaser though as it goes out tomorrow and I posted the teaser on the swap page. Next week I will show the full shot..my yarn and my niddy are similar in color which made me giggle...Casmir- looks lushious! The bottom one is my fav. Jiniphur- nice ply job! I want to try that too.KN- omg can we play in that tencel! And your quivit is soooo lush!

my little snipit
THIS ROCKS   Logged
callmeflower9
crafty college chick

crafty collegiate!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2009 11:52:38 AM »

**Warning Image Happy**

I worked like crazy for three days to get this done by friday!
This was my solution to having a lot of plain wool and this sparkly purple pile of batts that were given to me that I could not for the life of me spin on it's own. I was inspired after going to the NH sheep and wool fest, which omg I cannot wait for next year (and now I know where my income tax return is going). This is also the first yarn I spun without pre drafting! I'm pretty proud of it.

sorry, I took a lot of pics. It totaled around 730 yards, 12 wpi, dk weight. Not sure what I'm gonna do with it yet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kayler.etsy.com
oddacity
That's what she said.

Sometimes I make things.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2009 04:09:53 PM »

Just one from me today. I finished this up this afternoon. It was kind of a frustrating project, I thought I had got over my too-little-twist problem but this broke a lot on me while I was plying it. >_<

First time beading.

fiber is from FiberFancy @ etsy, it's kettle dyed mill ends. 136 yards chain plied, worsted weight about (not done wpi yet). put 150 beads on it! First time beading as I said. It made it go reaaaaally slow, but got quicker as there were less beads to put on. I should have put on more beads, and had the opportunity to since it broke so much, but I couldn't find my beads until after I finished. >_< Anyway interesting experience, I'll definitely do it again (actually I will be on what I've got on my bobbin right now! probably won't share til next week tho)

LOVELY stuff this week guys! ;]
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wist: here
Blog: Oh, Purl-ease.

I love all things shiny, glittery, and colorful.

I say yes to ATC trades!

I hang out in: Knitting, Crochet, Fiber Arts, and the Swap Board!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Warm Vietnamese Beef Salad
How to Make Vegetarian Soup
Tuna Tartare with Avocado and Fried Wontons
How to Make Tofu with Pork
Thai Beef Salad
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Art Dolls
Meatless Monday: Texas Pecan Pesto
@Home This Weekend: Celebrate Your State

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...