A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 296,378
Currently Running With Scissors:
581 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tut: How to Make a Washer Chainmaille Bracelet [REALLY photo HEAVY HEAVY!!!]  (Read 20950 times)
Tags for this thread: bracelet , hardware , washer , chainmail , chainmaille , chain_mail , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tidbits_Trinkets

Vendor, Crafty Goodness, Nov. 7, Seven Hills, OH

View Profile WWW
« on: July 08, 2009 09:35:16 PM »

Okay, as I said in my previous thread on hardware jewelry, my new kick is using hardware in my jewelry designs - I mean nuts, washers, etc. I was inspired by Hardwear: Jewelry from a Toolbox by Hannah Rogge, but I found the designs too 'basic' for my tastes. So I began to play around.

First was my Nutsy Key Necklace. Now it's chainmaille made with jumprings and washers. Basic European 4-in-1 jewelry weave, only the center rings are washers! It turned out way cool - even my husband, who usually is indifferent to my craftings and jewelry makings ['Hon, I can only see 5 colors, remember?'], said he liked it! It has a cool slinky feeling to it. I would have prefered a toggle clasp, but I didn't have any, so lobster claw it was.

So here it is, the Washer Chainmaille Bracelet:

Here's the somewhat blurry close-up so you can see the weave pattern. Really basic, just like I promised.

What do you all think?

Bekka
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009 09:48:34 PM by Tidbits_Trinkets - Reason: Added link to my previous hardware jewelry thread showing the 'Nutsy Key Necklace'. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bekka K., owner
Tidbits Trinkets
Unique collage supplies for mixed media art, card making, and scrapbooking.

Be sure to get your FREE Daily PUBLIC DOMAIN image(s) on my blog The Schizoid Mouse.
SMN
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009 09:59:06 PM »

This is WAY cool!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Snootzie

Proof that my brother once adored me

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009 10:01:18 PM »

I love this bracelet!  I am also very intrigued by the idea of using hardware to make something that is still feminine.  I have a bunch of washers, nuts, and such sitting up in my craftroom waiting....  this looks like an amazing project...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I just bought a new house... okay the house isn't new... it was actually born in the same month and year I was!!
JanelleJ
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009 10:04:39 PM »

I think this is very cool. How awesome would it be to paint the washers beforehand? I may have to make one for myself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tidbits_Trinkets

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009 10:15:14 PM »

Okay, CG Maille has some nice tutorials and graphics. Look up European 4 in 1.

I also took inspiration from two designs from the Firemountain Gems [FMG] Design Gallery:

FMG Design Idea 73JN

FMG Design Idea 886W

A close look at them should help clear up any questions about the weave.

Bekka
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bekka K., owner
Tidbits Trinkets

Be sure to get your FREE Daily PUBLIC DOMAIN image(s) on my blog The Schizoid Mouse.
BeckZombie
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009 11:01:14 PM »

That's so cool!  And it looks like it'd be nice and comfortable to wear, too.
I've been wanting to try to make jewelry out of washers.  You've inspired me to dig through my dad's horribly messy tool room and find some!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ariane.phillips
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2009 12:07:04 AM »

Awesome - very creative!  Would love to see more of your stuff!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lindsycarranza

Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2009 07:00:57 AM »

That is very neat! I've made a few pendants out of washers and attached scrapbook paper to the front with mod podge (my mom loves them because they stay in place when worn) that could be cool with something like this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Okay so once again I am completely redoing my pictures. Got tired of photobucket, the only reason I used it was for here so I decided I will just use Craftster's photo uploader. So while I am switching over my photo links will be broken. Message me if there is a post you would like the pics for.
Weezie13
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2009 04:38:35 AM »

This is such a cool idea!!!
Love all the suggestions too...

and liked your inspirations pictures too..

Very nice work!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tidbits_Trinkets

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009 11:31:12 PM »

Okay, some time ago I posted pics of my Washer Chainmaille Bracelet:

So now I have written a tutorial so you can make your own if you want!

Before you begin, please note that while you can use any size washer you wish [though I don't recommend the really huge heavy ones!], be sure to buy enough washers for your ENTIRE bracelet or whatever at one time, of the same brand and size. This is because I've noticed that there are minor variations in washers, despite standarization; and metric washers are not EXACTLY perfectly matchable with non-metric ones. So it's just easier to buy them all at once.

My original bracelet was made of 1" [inside diameter] [1.5" outside diameter] washers with 8 mm jump rings. It took about 30 washers for the bracelet, because of how they overlap. Washers are cheap, so estimate high. My original bracelet had a lobster claw clasp, but if I did it again, I would use a toggle clasp, because it would have been easier to put it on.

I use bigger washers and bigger fancier jumprings in the tut so you can see things better.

Okay, onto the tutorial!!!

1) Items needed: Washers, jumprings, clasp [toggle-style recommended], two pair of needle or chain nose pliers [to open and close jump rings]

2) Now, take a look at your washers. You will notice that washers are, generally, different between the two sides. One side is round and shiny, and the other is flat and somewhat matte [non-shiny]:

It's kind of hard to see it in my poor photo, but if you lay a few out, you'll get the idea. It doesn't matter which side you decide is up/down, front/back, top/bottom, whatever, just make sure that all of your washers end up with the same side 'up' [or whatever] as you make your chain.

For this tut, I will use 'top' for the shiny side, and 'bottom' for the matte side.

3) Lay one washer on top of another, both with their tops up [so that the bottom of one touches the top of the other...]

4) Keeping these two washers together like that as you pick them up, thread two jumprings around both of them.

5) Push the jumprings apart - one to each 'side' and gently pull the washers opposite directions.

You should end up with the beginnings of a chain that looks like the bottom photo.

6) Now, lay the next washer - again, with both tops 'up' - onto the washer that had been the upper one in the first pair:

7) Thread two jumprings through this new 'pair', making sure not to hook the first washer as well - just the last two!

8 ) Push the new pair of jumprings apart - one to each side and gently pull apart the last two washers like you did the first pair. You should end up with something like this:

9) Repeat steps 6-8 until your chain of washers is long enough for a bracelet. [Again, it took me about 30 US-dime-sized washers - see picture below for a good look at them compared to a penny]. Using jumprings, attach your clasp to the ends of the chain.

There you go, your own Washer Chainmaille Bracelet. Here is a close up of my original bracelet showing the weave with smaller washers and regular jumprings:

Now, sometimes while you are chaining, the first or last link will get 'flipped'. Don't panic. Before you add the clasp [or the next washer in the chain], you just need to flip it back. These pictures are for the 'first' washer being flipped, but the principal is the same even if it's the 'last' link that flipped.

a) Whoops, this first link has gotten 'flipped' [though it's hard to tell the difference in shiny and matte sides in this terrible blurry photo]

b) To flip it back, after laying it on a flat surface, grasp the sides of the offending link and push it 'in' towards the other links so that one end raises up off the surface:

c) Keep pushing so that the end still on the table goes under the one you pushed up and the washer 'flips' back to it's 'proper' side up:

d) Take the jumprings and push them back out towards the sides, and gently pull the washers in opposite directions and viola! - everything is back to normal.

Hope that covers everything. Any questions?

Bekka
« Last Edit: July 31, 2009 11:36:04 PM by Tidbits_Trinkets - Reason: Modified title to something I liked better » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bekka K., owner
Tidbits Trinkets

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Use the Quick Selection Tool in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Use the Pen Tool in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Use the Magic Wand Tool in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Use the Lasso Tool in Adobe Photoshop CS3
How to Use the Double Life of Selections in Adobe Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Melted Crayon Painting
More Art, Less Craft
Meatless Monday: No Bake Lime Cheesecake

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...