A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,550
Currently Running With Scissors:
326 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Making a dress for a wedding (Not a wedding dress)  (Read 557 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

OhSweetNuthin
« on: July 07, 2009 11:57:23 PM »

I have been invited to attend the wedding of one of my high school friends. He also happens to be an ex boyfriend. It isn't really that awkward, we dated and broke up about a million years ago, we're the best of friends now and I adore the woman he's with. However, I am something of a believer in "rules for dresses at weddings" IE no white, no black, no red, no dresses cut down or slit up to THERE unless you have received special instructions from the couple. It is their day, and as their guest I think it is important to celebrate with them in a way that respects their wishes. I don't think the "no white, no red, no black" is set in stone, but I think it goes generally with the common sense and good taste of DO NOT OUTSHINE THE BRIDE ON THE WEDDING DAY. ESPECIALLY IF HER FIANCEE IS AN EX HAYSUS CHRISTO.

In there interest of saving money and using up some of my fabric stash, I hope to make my dress. The wedding is about a month away and I wanted to ask the following:

I am thinking of making something that looks like : http://www.butterick.com/item/B5032.htm?tab=list/dresses&page=all in pale green linen.
(View with the full skirt most likely)

Is this a) appropriate (the wedding is to be in August, indoors, in the early evening, but I understand it is not a black tie affair, the dress code seems to be semi-formal) and b) going to look ok made up in a medium (light-medium?) weight linen?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
boo_zombie
rubybluedesigns.etsy.com

rubybluedesigns.etsy.com

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009 12:05:38 AM »

you could maybe make it more casual by doing it in a patternd fabric? it would look lovely done floral, it would make it more casual

ooo or in grey!!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009 12:06:01 AM by boo_zombie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

CHECK OUT MY ETSY!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/rubybluedesigns

http://rubybluedesigns.blogspot.com
http://www.wists.com/ruby_blue13

CURRENT SWAPS:
exstatic about eclipse - sent/waiting to recieve
ORGANISING: Two Tiny Things Fave Band Swap
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=351944
KLKing
Sewing Mentor

"Craftophrenia"~ Dabbling in Everything!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009 12:25:22 AM »

Hi, I just saw your pattern. If you do the straight dress, you can go with a crisper fabric.  The full one  looks like it is a skirt over the straight. In that case, the under dress can be heavier and the skirt needs to be in something soft and flowing. You could always do something modern and make the entire dress in a georgette print, onlayer, by joining the full skirt to the bodice of the dress, instead of thier way of making it an over-skirt.( But the overskirt is a great design, because the dress has it's own slip., and the top is thick on it's own. You won't need another slip.)...  with a spaghetti-strap slip under it in a soft green, while using a floral or other type print . If you use cotton, try to find something not too stiff, you want it to have a soft flow. While Black Tie is ultra formal, any wedding requires a level of decorum. Evening weddings are always more dressy.  It could even have a white background, as long as you stay away from lace, and do a print, a stripe, geometric, etc. It is just good to avoid any sense of the look of the Bridal Party. You should try to find out what color the bridesmaids are in, so you don't look like one of them... unless you are one...This is an easy sew pattern. But watch out to really look at the measurement chart. Those patterns were called a 14, and really a six. And thier bras were different, so the boobs are pointier. These dresses were always worn with a string of pearls tight around thier neck. Changing up your accessories like a longer,chunkier string of beads may be more modern.  Good luck! Karen
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009 12:34:03 AM by KLKing » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kjlutz
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I am woman watch me grow!

Wherever you've been, He's been there

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009 08:10:28 AM »

i think your idea is suitable ane will look very nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sometimes you get to change the world, and other times the world changes you.

Currently drowning in the sea called PhD.

Interested in swapping for I-Spy Quilt Squares and Scraps.
Thesingingllamas
Queen of the Waffles

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009 08:53:41 AM »

Tea couture just did that same dress for a wedding.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=309746.0;all

She also used green.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
itsamutiny
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2009 09:35:26 PM »

i think it's definitely appropriate and i think it'll look great! are you going to make the full skirt attached and in the same linen?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 12/29
How to Crochet a Woolen Willy Warmer Part 6/21
How to Crochet a Woolen Willy Warmer Part 8/21
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 10/29
How to Crochet Adult Size Sock Slippers Part 11/29
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...