A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,474
Currently Running With Scissors:
616 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Aurelia's Renaissance Faire Collection  (Read 4397 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Lady Llanalla

Half Birthday Cake Face Girl

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 07, 2009 11:12:48 AM »

My daughter Aurelia (we call her Ari) will be attending Faire with me again in October. She is 18 months old now and will be 21 months then. This will be the fourth or fifth Faire for her, but this is the first time I have made her actual garb. I am excited and very motivated at the moment.

I started with 2 chemises. One is long sleeved and the other is short sleeved. It is usually very hot during the day at the Countries Largest non permanent faire (i.e. three days long), here in LAs Vegas, but it gets into the 30's at night (Fahrenheit), so she needs versatile clothing. Each Chemise took (all together) about 45 minutes, including cutting and initial hemming. I had no pattern. I just used shapes like I would for myself.

The over dress took a bit longer. I had to re-engineer the "pattern" I drafted initially, but I think it works well, and should still fit at Faire time in three months.

Action Shot 1 Facing Forward!

Action Shot 2 Profile

All three pieces lying on the ground.

I DO have documentation for the over dress. It is an Italian design, just not italian fabrics, though the second one will be. When I finish the second one I will post it here as well. Alas I did not do most of this by hand, but with my machine which is being yucky right now, so I am using my mother's fancy Necchi.

The next one (which I have already cut out) will be in beige and a dusky pink. Then it will be on to the Fairy costume to match her Auntie's, one of whom will be her "Mother" for the weekend. Ari, being the only child in our encampment, will be playing the Queen's child and since the Queen is Queen of the Fairies Ari needs a matching fairy dress. I have it mostly cut out. It will get it's own topic when I get it done as it will be specifically made so that it can grow with her.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I swap, so in crafting terms I guess that means I put out... You?
jazpurita
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009 11:35:37 AM »

Wow, that is amazing I cant wait to see the beige and a dusky pink one
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RemusRox
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009 12:25:04 PM »

That is hands down the cutest lil ren faire child I have ever seen! I like how much thought and detail you put into making it accurate.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewnutzz
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009 01:08:03 PM »

Very cute.  Something I have done for little girls for Ren-wear is to use the high-waist party dress pattern from Martha Pullen (you can use anydress pattern that has the waistline just below the armseye).  I particularly like the patterns by Martha Pullen because they fit exceptionally well.  Just extend the skirt to just above the floor length, plus hem allowance and tuck allowance...I put several tucks (about 1/2 to 1 inch) along the lower edge of the dress for lengthening later (kids grow up more than they do out).  I also like to leave the skirt closed in the front unless I have a proper underskirt to go under the outer gown. 

I often do lacing under the arms at the underarm seam...leave the bodice front nice and tidy. It you want to have an underskirt that shows, simply leave the side seams of the skirt open, sort of like a tunic or apron.  Putting an overdress just over a chemise is not period...it would be like having your slip show all the way up to your waist.  If you are worried about heat, make the overdress, inserting lightweight sleeves and trimming the neckline with a little ruffle or lace.

I love garbing little girls...they look so cute!
Anne
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lady Llanalla

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009 02:03:16 PM »

Actually, this two piece approach is completely period for a child under the age of five. Boys and girls strangely enough. Some of the documentation is taken from portraiture of families in Italy and available online. One of the warmest places in Europe, Italy had some odd approaches to keeping cool. Little kids, even from wealthy and noble families weren't dressed in much. When she gets to be older I will let her decide what period and what fabric and all that, but for now this will do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlebiskit

no cat anywhere ever gave anyone a straight answer

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009 04:56:01 PM »

Heeheehee, even from the thumbnail I knew it was Ari.  I must have been a good stalker that last round of swapping.   Grin  Seriously, could she be any stinkin' cuter???

BEAUTIFULLY done.  I am (again) in awe of your sewing skills.  Wonderful job!
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009 04:56:32 PM by littlebiskit » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am walking 12 hours straight for my local Relay For Life event.  [a href="http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY11MW?px=16690269&pg=personal&fr_id=30095"]Please support me![/a href] I'm only 40% to my goal! =0(
Lady Llanalla

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009 05:33:29 PM »

littlebiskit

Are you sure yellow is bad? I was going to send you something, but it was already finished and its kinda light buttery yellow, and green... lots of pale green.

On another note. My lovely husband and my father (Opa) took my sweet little darling off for a few hours today, so....

Voila!!!!

This pic has a better representation of the true color and you can see the texture of the fabric. I think I am going to add a bit of trim at the "waist line" both inside and out so that it can be reversible. Its not like she has hips to get in the way of the tabs if they were on the inside anyway!

What do we think?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

littlebiskit

no cat anywhere ever gave anyone a straight answer

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009 05:38:07 PM »

Oh my lord, that's ADORABLE!  And no, yellow isn't that bad, nor is green, it's more my issue than Lily's.  

(Hehe, read your comment better.)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009 10:55:09 AM by littlebiskit » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am walking 12 hours straight for my local Relay For Life event.  [a href="http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RFLFY11MW?px=16690269&pg=personal&fr_id=30095"]Please support me![/a href] I'm only 40% to my goal! =0(
Lady Llanalla

« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009 07:08:13 PM »

Well, I was making you both something and its the thing for you that is already made. Tell me what you think.  I will PM you with what I need. Oh, and I am so glad you approve. I am quite proud of it actually!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MirthFairy
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009 10:12:36 AM »

Popping in since LadyLanalla couldn't remember where the original picture that inspired these dresses was: http://modehistorique.com/elizabethan/images/kids/holbkid.jpg It's a picture of Hans Holbein The Younger's daughter. Her outfit was so sweet and simple. I like how her whispy hair is braided from the back and pull up over her head with string.

We were surprised by the short sleeves! I always thought long sleeves, but here they are!

ETA - The dress is German - you know, since Hans Holbein The Younger was German.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009 10:15:30 AM by MirthFairy - Reason: Edited for correction! » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jeannebaby1

I'm cute and fluffy!!!

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2009 08:12:07 AM »

Oh she is adorable, and in so much more in grab. I think you did a wonderful job on her grab. I'm making grab for little ones myself, can't seem to find anything really for them.
   I like the colors you've used, they go together wonderfully.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No body move!! I dropped my brain.
"Chase the morning..."-Blind Mag
"Fire bad, tree pretty."-Buffy

My Esty Shop.....
http://www.twosumowrestlers.etsy.com

My blog, I don't do much with. It's new.
http://between-asleep-and-awake.blogspot.com/
Lady Llanalla

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009 10:02:00 AM »

jeannebaby1 if you are just going for the day I highly suggest a pixie costume or something of that nature. The kiddos can get behind it and its a lot cooler for the middle of the day in the heat. These costumes will get used for early morning and evening when things cool off and get cold.

Also I will be posting updated pics of all of these things as I am/have added trim to them both.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jeannebaby1

I'm cute and fluffy!!!

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2009 10:33:53 AM »

Oh i meant at the faires you don't see many if any clothing for wee-ones.
   I make the wee-ones clothing myself, never had a problem too luckly. Parents seemed happy with it and no fusses for anyone. Thanks though, it was nice of you to say.
   And no kiddies after nights, parents just do the day runs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

No body move!! I dropped my brain.
"Chase the morning..."-Blind Mag
"Fire bad, tree pretty."-Buffy

My Esty Shop.....
http://www.twosumowrestlers.etsy.com

My blog, I don't do much with. It's new.
http://between-asleep-and-awake.blogspot.com/
sewnutzz
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2009 08:42:15 PM »

Popping in since LadyLanalla couldn't remember where the original picture that inspired these dresses was: http://modehistorique.com/elizabethan/images/kids/holbkid.jpg It's a picture of Hans Holbein The Younger's daughter. Her outfit was so sweet and simple. I like how her whispy hair is braided from the back and pull up over her head with string.

We were surprised by the short sleeves! I always thought long sleeves, but here they are!

ETA - The dress is German - you know, since Hans Holbein The Younger was German.  Roll Eyes

From looking at the portrait, it is a casual setting, probably at home.  The dress on the toddler appears to fasten in the front, there is no indication of lacing, so I suspect hooks/eyes.  The skirt does not appear to be open to the hem, but appears to have a seam closing the front of the skirt that begins a couple of inches below the waistline.  This would make it easier to get a squiggly child in and out of the dress.  Given the short sleeves of the chemise, I suspect this could have been worn with an overdress. 

The dress itself is a common style for the period.  There  are plenty of example of these "Ren jumpers" in Italian art.  They are adorable and one of my favorite styles.  And while a toddler may  get away with running around with their shift showing as an underskirt, I have seen far to many grown ladies doing the same.  And I have not seen any thing that supports that was done in period.

SewNutzz
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lady Llanalla

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2009 10:34:15 AM »

So I finally finished the pink tabbed overdress! It is fully reversible

Here she is wearing it with the short sleeved chemise.

This is it in reverse...

And here is my angel in her chemise alone! SCANDALOUS!

What do you think? C&C Welcome
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TroubleT
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

No try, just do.

I'm the Irish Latina Ninja!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2009 10:49:40 AM »

First, your daughter is beautiful! Smiley

You did some really fine work on her gowns. I agree with the others who said she will be one of the best dressed littles at the Faire!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lady Llanalla

« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2009 10:53:08 AM »

I just wish it were easier getting her to smile for the camera. She and my camera have thos love hate relationship. She loves playing with the camera (which is a no no), and the camera REFUSES to take the picture while she is smiling. It always delays just a second too long. I swear. You have to precognitiant to get a photo of my daughter smiling with my camera. Of the nearly 3000 photos I have of my daughter dating back to her birth moment I have maybe 50 with her smiling in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sunnysarah
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2009 11:08:53 AM »

She is adorable! Her costume is superb!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
longtimegeek
Still crazy after all these years....

betta and betta....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2009 11:43:10 AM »

So sweet - I love it
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lady Llanalla

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2009 12:29:58 PM »

Excluding the trim I added (as you can see by the photos) to hide some wiggly stitching. They were really easy to do. Is any one interested in a tute? Or no...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SewMamaLady

I heart handmade!!

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2009 01:37:43 PM »

I think that she's just precious and the dress rocks! Way to go on both a cute baby and a fab little costume.  Grin Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Homespun gifts for your friends and family!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/shallwespinmydear
Will be posting more items soon. Check back!
rlynn
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2009 01:45:49 PM »

Very sweet!  Ari looks just adorable in her dresses!  You make me wish I could sew!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Saor
Crafting for more years than I care to remember!

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2009 02:15:10 PM »

Adorable - I love her in the second costume. And I love the name Aurelia.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SweetPeaDesign
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2009 10:11:39 AM »

Om my goodness yes, I'd LOVE a tute!
I LOVE the mauve & ivory one.  Your little girl is adorable!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smrfchic
« Reply #24 on: March 08, 2012 11:55:35 AM »

I have been trying to find a tute for the little overdresses - I have four girls to garb for the Faire next month (13, 11, 10, and 15 months). LOoooooooooOOoove your daughters outfits!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~ Sadie ~*~
Oh, for corn's sake!
ScrappySue
Tutorial Contributor

Oh, not you. We named the monkey Jack.

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2012 05:48:02 AM »

your daughter looks fantastic in her garb, wow.
S
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I've started a wist!
http://wists.com/scrappysue
working on the Teesha Moore craftalong
Destashing the craft room
liewe_heksie
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2012 06:33:52 AM »

Awww she is such a cutie pie!!!!pls post photos of her at the fair aswell!!!and well done on the dresses!!!so cute
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Green man goat sculpture
Green man goat painting
How to Sculpt a Wolf Mask
Best Fall Jackets
Tips For Tweaking Your Wardrobe For A Quick Fall Fashion Update
Latest Blog Articles
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!
Winner of Craft Challenge #102 - Swap & Share 3
September 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...