A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 299,133
Currently Running With Scissors:
704 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: not for the faint of heart - Creepiest thing I've ever done  (Read 10171 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CohesiveChaos
CohesiveChaos.com

I've kissed alot of frogs - only found 1 prince

View Profile WWW
« on: July 07, 2009 02:02:23 AM »

we're talking heebie jeebies here.  For 2 years we've had a wheelchair access ramp to our front door, hubby finally got around to removing it the other day and below it there was an entire culture of various bugs living there, the creepiest being a nest of black widows, particularly the western black widow.  I had to kill them so that he could safely haul the ramp away (I've been bit by a black widow and that is the one of the most awful experiences of my life).  

So after spraying and killing everything under there (milipedes, centipedes, black widows, etc...) I noticed a few that were rather pretty hanging there all dead.  I had a fleeting thought to turn one into a piece of jewelry.  Hubby immediately said YES DO IT, I'LL WEAR IT AROUND MY NECK.  

The inherent difference between me and my husband - I hate spiders he is completely creeped out by them.  So upon his exclamation of needing the spider jewelry I knew I had to make it.  I carefully collected them with tweezers and a cup and called my sister for emotional support to pull of turning them into jewelry (THANK YOU SAM!)  there was more than one instance of screams and hair standing straight up on my neck.  

The disappointment comes in here:  I've worked with natural materials and resin before and had discoloration/reaction with the resin, and the black widows are no longer so black.  but the reaction is a neat one, the spider actually floated up slightly in the resin too so you can literally feel the spider through the back of the pendant.  You can see where the reaction caused the skin around the 'butt' to go clear so you actually can see the internal aspects of the butt of the spider (maybe not in the photos)  If you look closely you can see the clear halo around the 'butt' and where the legs slightly protrude from it (they are completely coated but you can feel them)

So without talking anymore I'll show you the photos Smiley  I regret I don't have any 'befores' I put them in the resin simply because of the discoloration but I don't think I could mentally have stomached it lol

From the bottom:

From the top:

« Last Edit: July 07, 2009 02:04:04 AM by CohesiveChaos » THIS ROCKS   Logged

life is what you make it - make it art & make it beautiful
petalmixer
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2009 02:07:57 AM »

Eee totally creepy but cool!  Spiders give me the heebies as well  Shocked  You're braver than I!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gerah
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2009 02:10:27 AM »

very creepy indeed, but cool too Smiley
I think I couldn't have done it, but I like the finished peace Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
narhloki
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2009 02:13:53 AM »

LOL that is pretty creepy!

You're braver than me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jinjeet Phoenix
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2009 03:27:21 AM »

Oh my gosh, this completely...well....I'm completely freakin' out here but couldn't not look at this and read the story on the "recent w\pics".  Wow are you brave.  Loved the story and am very appreciative that I can look at this through a computer and not face to face.lol.   You guys deserve a medal! Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009 03:57:23 AM »

preg_replace('/(.{49})/', '$1 ', 'ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH')!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am VERY arachnophobic and it took a fair amount of loin girding to even open this thread - the teeny preview helped.  Your story TOTALLY GROSSES ME OUT!!!!!!!!!!!  I am sitting here screaming inside - but kudoes to you for doing it.

Now excuse me as my heart palpitates and I soil myself.

preg_replace('/(.{49})/', '$1 ', 'ARGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH')!!!!!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
fibreartist4life
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2009 04:05:10 AM »

Awesome!  It is almost like finding a spider in amber.  How did you finally turn it into a necklace  -  or did you?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Persephone Hazard
I'm not going to live my life on one side of an ampersand

That song was about me.

« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2009 04:23:09 AM »

I think this is totally awesome, but then I am a crazy freak who likes spiders [grin] Well done you for facing your fear and having the guts to do this - I do have a phobia, and there is NO FREAKING WAY I would cope with that even a tenth as well as you coped with this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

When she was good, she was very very good - but when she was bad she was fabulous.
*courtney*cassel*

~*if only there was only a day*~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2009 04:39:27 AM »

OMG so creepy! ugh! but congratulations on getting it done! I hav to get my hubby to clear all the dead ones away in our back room before I'll go in there! Great Job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I May Look Delicious But Please Don't Eat Me!!! lol
boo_zombie
rubybluedesigns.etsy.com

rubybluedesigns.etsy.com

« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2009 05:22:18 AM »

love it!! lol i wanna go bug hunting!! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

CHECK OUT MY ETSY!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/rubybluedesigns

http://rubybluedesigns.blogspot.com
http://www.wists.com/ruby_blue13

CURRENT SWAPS:
exstatic about eclipse - sent/waiting to recieve
ORGANISING: Two Tiny Things Fave Band Swap
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=351944
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Trends In Swimsuit Shorts
Technical Novelty Swimsuit Trends
Crochet Swimsuit Trends
Bandini Swimsuit Trends
Coral And Poppy Swimsuit Trends
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...