A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 303,936
Currently Running With Scissors:
519 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: [ADULT CONTENT] veganising kinky crafts?  (Read 4110 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

banaldetails
« on: May 21, 2007 02:17:19 AM »

I picked up a copy of 21st Century Kinkycrafts the other day and, great as it was, I realised after sitting down with it properly that most of the restraints and practically all of the floggers/paddles etc. called for leather in their construction.
I shouldn't have been surprised; I've been to a few DIY BDSM workshops, and a lot of them have focused on making gear using animal products with few suggestions for people like me who can't or won't keep animal-derived products in their toy bags. Many of my friends and play partners are vegans, and I wouldn't want to have any gear I couldn't use with them; and, while I plan on keeping my old Docs around until they wear out, I don't think the utility of a homemade paddle justifies my buying leather for its production- kink already has enough guilt associated with it. But, at the same time, let's face it- making it oneself is sexy, way more radical than plunking down one's cash at the sex shop, and sure to make one the belle of the, erm, dungeon.
So, that said, I'm looking for good, sturdy alternatives, particularly for making paddles, full-service cuffs, and heavy floggers.  One would think it would be a no-brainer, given the variety of leather substitutes available, but when I asked the facilitator of a cuff-making workshop about using vinyl and other synthetic materials he told me they were too flimsy for use. I suspect this wouldn't get in the way of using the stuff one finds at the fabric store to upholster a paddle or so, though, but I can imagine that there are some sturdier leather substitutes appropriate for fashioning toys out of. As long as the basic principles of leatherworking can be applied to it and it's strong enough to handle both being tooled and being used, it probably will work; I figure stuff like heavy canvas, inner-tube rubber, etc. might work, but some other, possibly more specific suggestions would really help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
krissykat
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2007 03:58:36 AM »

I've definitely seen rubber floggers for sale online, but I don't know how they're made or if it would be possible to DIY such a thing. I know one site with nice closeup pics of the handles which could be helpful. (I doubt that it's ok to put a link in here, so pm me if you'd like and I can send it to you.) I understand that the sensation is pretty intense with most of them, and quite different from floggers made with other materials.

For cuffs especially, my first thought is of vegan belts. I have one made of really thick rubber that is a tiny bit stiff, but very tough. It's horrible against bare skin, so maybe you could line them with something more comfy. My non-studded belt is made of 2 layers of thick vinyl stitched together. Each layer is still around 1/4" thick, but it's much softer and more flexible than the rubber. I think it even has that almost "fuzzy" texture on the back like leather. It would get a little pricey, but I guess you could even just buy belts and cut them up. I don't know how close these would be to actually working with leather, though. Most of the ones I've seen online seem to be made by smaller companies, so they may be willing to share information about their suppliers and even how to work with these kinds of materials.

If leather really is the only option, maybe you and your playmates feel a little better about recycling leather? You could always ask around for people's old leather jackets, pants, belts, etc. It's certainly less than ideal, but I know that for some the knowledge that they're keeping things out of a landfill can help to balance out the fact that they're leather.

Vegan Freak: Being Vegan In a Non-Vegan World by Bob Torres and Jenna Torres has a section about sex toys, but I don't know if they address BDSM or not.

I hope that helps a little! Good luck!!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*MySpace*My Wists*My Knitting/Crafting Blog*My Etsy* Watch for updates!
MorbidlyCute on Ravelry.com
Pearlescent
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007 07:03:54 AM »

Rubber floggers are made from bike tire inner tubes for the most part, there's always rope floggers also and there's pleather too. I'm not sure of the vegan standpoint on these products but I have made kinky items from these materials in the past and they ahve worked out wonderfully Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
BrocadeLion
Makers Rule

Boo!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007 08:20:46 AM »

Latex is becoming more prevalent in the kink world and has a lot of very unique properties. I'm a fan myself. It can be impregnated into fabrics, like a canvas as you mentioned.

I also know someone who makes small striking rods out of some sort of fiberglass rods and they are killer.

For things that are more traditionally made from leather, some upholstery-style vinyls might work nicely. I made this kimono with stock from Joann. It's got the woven backing which lends more strength. More than that, though, for things such as restraints, regular webbing/strap could be used and covered with vinyl or anything else you want to use, because the webbing would be load-bearing and plenty strong. Wouldn't have the HEFT of a pair of classic leather restraints, but that actually has a certain appeal as well.

-Dorion

ETA: Coincidentally, this instructable was posted just today. For restraints, I'm sure they would have to be lined.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2007 10:09:08 AM by Dorion » THIS ROCKS   Logged

kd
Ta Da, It's Miss America!

If you can't convince them, confuse them.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2007 01:15:02 PM »

I've seen heavier vinyls in stores specializing in upholstry, particularly marine upholstry.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There is no such thing as a stay-at-home mom.
ImaginationsEnd
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007 12:03:39 AM »

Latex, PVC and Rubber are all good for restraints, providing they're lined and cared for properly. But think outside the cage, so to speak.

Try carving and varnishing wood. Add a few hinges and you'd be good to go on all natural restraints....Or a branch can easily be turned into a cane. Varnish yourself an old rosebush trunk, if you're into the more extreme angle.

Hemp knit on very fine needles can provide a light sting, feeling similar to deerskin floggers,  whereas jute and other heavyweight rope can provide a little more "thud".

Metals - Chain works beautifully for a variety of things. The only downside I can think of is the links may catch skin.

Industrial Strength Zip Ties - If police sometimes trust them enough to restrain prisoners...that's a good enough recommendation for me! Downside to these is that they must be cut off, so it can get a bit pricely, and they aren't adjustable once they're on.

Cloth may also be of some interest. Different textures provide, of course, different sensations. There's a reason that burlap isn't normally used in clothing production - it can be quite uncomfortable. Use that little tidbit to your advantage.

The best advice, in this long winded post, that I can offer, is use your imagination. The most unlikely things may show some use. And when in doubt - Duct tape.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You Were From a Perfect World....A World That Threw Me Away.

My Knitting Blog
Sunnyfey
If you dont bleed while crafting..its not done.

NEW SEWING MACHINE YAY!!!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2008 12:51:27 PM »

OH OH IDEA!!!!!!

ok the zip cuffs are wonderfull for vegan players. What if you fashioned like covers for the zip ties? to be nicer to the skin, you can just slip the zip ties in the little bits of cloth or whatever and bam!!! insta vegan nice cuffs......

and for heavier retraints, what about that sort of cloth they use for handles on tote bags? the kintted kind? with the really heavy webbing.

as for floggers im kinda out of ideas, i never used anything but leather or other animal derived stuffs.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I know a drugstore cowgirl, who is so afraid of getting bored, Shes always looking for something, so many things ignored"......

~'*Beautiful Disaster*'~
Sunnyfey
If you dont bleed while crafting..its not done.

NEW SEWING MACHINE YAY!!!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2008 10:09:39 AM »

VEGAN BDSM GOODIES SHOP!!!!!!!!!

http://www.fools-errant.com/bdsm/

i know its a link and its adult content, Mods? please take it down if it violates the rules,.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I know a drugstore cowgirl, who is so afraid of getting bored, Shes always looking for something, so many things ignored"......

~'*Beautiful Disaster*'~
afterannabel
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009 01:56:55 PM »

I know you posted this quite awhile ago, but I just saw it and I thought you might be interested in buying bulk lorica. It's what Vegan Erotica makes all their bondage gear from, and they sell it by itself as well: Imported from Italy, this synthetic leather breathes, is permeable to water vapor, is water repellent, stains are easily removable and it can be machine-washed. It is resistant to tearing, splitting, scratching and rubbing, and is extremely comfortable. They have it in black, red, white, and blue and sell it by the foot and the roll, as well as samples.

http://www.veganerotica.com/store/default.php/cPath/35
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Roethke
Tutorial Contributor

I work with toxins

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009 11:27:05 AM »

Hey hey.  I own a vegan bondage gear business (veganerotica.com), and I use a synthetic pleather called Lorica.  Some of my friends use nylon webbing and bicycle tubes to DIY their own gear.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Stephanie McClellan and Beth Hamilton Reveal Their Most Noticeable Trait
Nene Leakes Talks About Never Make the Same Mistake Twice
Philippa Gregory on The Plantagenets
Phillipa Gregory Talks About The Boleyn Inheritance Part 2
Eric LeMay Talks About Immortal Milk
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart
Craft Challenge #103 Announced - Foodie Frenzy 2
How to Make Tshirt Rugs

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...