A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,131
Currently Running With Scissors:
395 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cash/Utility Apron  (Read 4586 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

arimethia
The likes of you

Look out, Portland. I'm so indie.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 06, 2009 07:06:11 PM »

I have 6 nights of street fair to look forward to. I've been doing various things to prepare. I took time out of my merch-making schedule to make myself a cash/utility apron for the craft fair.

I used left over scraps from a bunch of projects I've been working on. So it was literally thrown together.

The nice thing about making your own is that I was able to make it custom to suit my purposes, and right handed. (The cash is on the right side, nice, eh?)

I had this idea that I could make a wallet-like pocket to separate different denominations of cash so handing out change would be easier, however, I'm not really sure that's going to work out. The pocket is a little floppy. I'm going to have to experiment to see if it can be improved.

The other side has a place for scissors, pens, a small pocket for my business cards and a few other pockets for whatever other things I'm going to need. (Safety pins, tape, bits of string) The yellow is bias because, again, this was made of scraps so it helped to finish the edges without taking away much of the size.

And the back is lined with an old pillowcase.

I hope this gives some folks good ideas for making their own.

Be blessed!
« Last Edit: July 06, 2009 07:09:17 PM by arimethia » THIS ROCKS   Logged

isadora12000
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2009 04:28:46 PM »

I really like it, the fabric is great. Let us know how the money pocket works out. I just have one pocket for money in my apron and hate fiddling with all the folded bills while making change.

Best of luck on your street fair! 6 days, wow!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Consider what ideas are lost by censorship.
Ambri

Insert maniacal laughter here

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2009 12:16:04 PM »

Great idea . . . !  I swear, that green butterfly and fern-frond fabric is giving me deja vu.  I think we maybe had sheets or pillowcases in that same fabric, when I was little.  Good luck, and please let us know how the fair goes, if you have time!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Soap is a 4-letter word.
pinklilycreations
Pink Lily Creations

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009 11:55:35 AM »

The street fair sounds fun! Being pregnant it's hard for me to schedule anything like that this summer because I've got so many appointments to go to and I'm always exhausted. I am doing a show in August that I considered buying a vendor apron for but you've inspired me to try sewing my own! This would be great to do my own since I can make it actually fit my big belly!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I would love to do a private swap or two to get my credibility up. I make baby accessories that can be seen in my etsy shop and ATCs.
I'd like to swap for just about anything except jewelry.

-Shelby
www.pinklilycreations.etsy.com
arimethia
The likes of you

Look out, Portland. I'm so indie.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009 12:43:50 PM »

Update: The cash pockets work great! I just did my first two nights this week and it was really great to have the denominations in separate pockets. Adding a tab to each pocket may help me get them open but for the most part they worked wonderfully!

My booth partner has asked me to make her one as well, so if I can get myself together, I may have a tutorial in your futures!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catdaddytn
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009 10:42:26 AM »

This is so cute and practical!  I may try to make one, also.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

catdaddytn
conservativchick
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2009 09:09:37 PM »

I love this!!! Did you make up the pattern yourself? Would it be possible for you to post more pics of the smaller details or even a tutorial? Thanks a bunch!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tpjefferson
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2009 11:21:08 AM »

I love this idea...I want to get started selling my crafts...I'll have to make me an apron too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SierraPapaCharlie

Be more awesome.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2010 08:10:10 PM »

I can't sew and I don't sell my crafts, but I want one of these so I can run around like Batman being super-prepared.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am convinced that the only people worthy of consideration in this world are the unusual ones. For the common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed. L. Frank Baum

http://sierrapapacharlie.wordpress.com

http://www.wists.com/sierrapapacharlie
MissMalaprop
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010 05:00:05 PM »

That apron looks great, I love the fabric!

I made my apron so it's a belt bag... basically I sewed a slot at the top so I can change it out and wear it with any belt or thread a ribbon through it. It also has a cash pocket inside it, which is SUPER helpful for keeping my cash separate from pens and receipts and stuff. This is me wearing it at a show last fall:

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Author Phyllis Montana-Leblanc
Pathfinder Book Trailer
Lisa Jones Reads from Broken
Meet Author Suzy Welch
Patti Stanger Talks About Become Your Own Matchmaker
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...