A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,892
Currently Running With Scissors:
537 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: first batch of CP soap!!!!!!!  (Read 745 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Jelliebean
« on: July 11, 2009 08:17:04 AM »

So I was too intimidated for the longest time to make actual soap from scratch. I was convinced that I, or my boyfriend, or my dogs, would end up covered in lye burns or my kitchen would be on fire. But a couple of weeks ago, after lots of research, I donned a raincoat, goggles, two pairs of rubber gloves, and some wellies, and made some soap!

I used vegetable oil, olive oil, and crisco. It was all I had on hand. Getting it to trace took about three hours of stirring. Then I added some vanilla and cream cheese frosting scent. Here it is in its (ziploc container,) mold, all ready to harden!

The really yummy cake scent faded really badly, but it's definitely my fault. I left them out in the air for three hours while I was stirring and then didn't cover the soap well enough while it was hardening. So It smells very faintly like vanilla now that it's finished. It looked really horrendous about three days in.

I'm thinking the next batch I make, I'll make plain soap FIRST, and then a day or two later rebatch it to make sure the scent dosn't change. Especially since some of my favorite scents are 'not good for CP soap.'  It looks a lot less gross now that's it's all hardened and cured, but it's still pretty fugly-

But it's real soap! It unfortuneately makes a really ugly brown lather, but I think I added too much fragrance/ didn't mix it well enough so it's all runny. But I've been using it in the shower and it's got a really nice, rich, silky lather and it's great for shaving. It's a little drying, cause I didn't add any supefatting ingredients, but it's real honest to goodness soap! I've been taking it to work and showing anyone who will stand still long enough, "Look! It really bubbles!" lol.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2009 08:22:53 AM by rackycoo - Reason: to show photos » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them?"
    --Buddha
smittenheart

Let go of what's already gone..

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009 12:38:22 PM »

awesome...you are on your way to making loads and loads of soap..at least you'll be clean..haa!!

3 hours?? did you hand stir??

also be sure that the scent is body safe too..not just CP safe..

and superfatting isnt anything more that extra oils or 'fats' to your recipe so if you used a soap calculator usually its a default setting..

anywho..awesome work..I loved that you used a ziploc container as a mold..
THIS ROCKS   Logged

its ME!!
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=327537.0

http://cowandpigdesigns.etsy.com
http://cowandpigdesigns.blogspot.com
Soap licking is dangerous..please dont try it at home

will trade some soap for a superhero cape which will be used by the kid in my avatar ^^
Jelliebean
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009 09:46:45 PM »

Thanks! I did hand stir it! My arms were so tired by the end, but at least they got a workout! I'm soo excited about making soap, I've been having so much fun! I've been way too scared to use anything but soap fragrances from brambleberry, so I know everything is skin safe, but it's tricky trying to figure out all this science. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"However many holy words you read, however many you speak, what good will they do you if you do not act on upon them?"
    --Buddha
brittyboo
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2009 02:29:18 PM »

im really intimidated by making soap too!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jelliebean
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2009 08:40:54 PM »

It's not that bad! I've done it twice now!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

--Buddha
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Stamp Basics
How to Press Flowers
Designing a Pressed Flower Bookmark
Storing Pressed Flowers
Creating a Laminated Pressed Flower Bookmark
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...