A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,575
Currently Running With Scissors:
752 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Capri-Sun bag  (Read 5062 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

santacruzsugar
« on: July 05, 2009 10:22:17 PM »

I know using Capri Sun pouches is not original, but I love my new bag.

Some background: I work as a recycling coordinator for the garbage company, which means I go to schools and businesses and teach them how to recycle. I needed a bag to carry my paperwork, stickers, other outreach supplies, and I wanted something that was all recycled material.

And for the record, I hate capri-suns and their fake juice and the non-recyclable mylar packaging. But apparently kids love them, and I used to work at an environmental school. The kids would always bring them in their lunches, so I rescued them from the landfill, knowing that one day I would use them.

The straps are bright blue suede from the thrift store. Its amazing what some people will give away! I got almost a yard for only $1.50! I had to refrain from buying the bright green...

The white is linen from a tablecloth (also thrift store).

The pockets are constructed from fabric from an old dog bed cover. I used to work at a dog boutique store and a customer brought it in to get a replacement because their dog chewed the zipper. It was going to get thrown away, but I saved it, washed it, and used it!

For the interfacing, I used an old navajo kitchen rug that was in my house when I moved in over a year ago. It sat in a corner where I kept meaning to take it to Goodwill. But yes, I found a use for it!

The only new things are the snap, and the thread.

Thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009 10:25:48 PM by santacruzsugar » THIS ROCKS   Logged

threegirlsandaboy
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009 05:43:41 AM »

That's very cute!  I've made tons of the juice bag purses (though I agree about the juice and packaging itself) and I think they always turn out so cute.  I'm glad to see a new take on them, though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sugarshoxcrafts
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2009 09:42:21 PM »

I love how you made an alternating pattern on it; its very attention-grabbing and the colors go good especially how the blue strap goes with the blue background of the bags.  Reminds me a little of a change purse I saw at this one local store in my area where they took thin strips of juice pouches and wove it to create an alternating kind of look.  Wowie, though, $16 was a lot to pay for a small change purse lol.  Making the little change purses out of the wallets though is a fun thing to do with kids. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wallets, Jewelry, & Home Decor from Recycled Materials: http://sugarshoxcrafts.etsy.com

Facebook: http://facebook.com/sugarshoxcrafts
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Basic Monopoly Rules Guide
Learn about Monopoly
Monopoly Tutorial
Horseshoe Pitching Tips
Horseshoe Pitching Grips Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...