A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 297,028
Currently Running With Scissors:
587 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Coin purse and card holder **NOW WITH TUTE** Pic Heavy  (Read 10716 times)
Tags for this thread: template , wallet , tutorial , zippered_pouch  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dragonfire411
« on: July 05, 2009 09:15:40 PM »

I had a friend ask me to come up with a coin purse for her but she also wanted a place to hold a few cards for her, to help organize her purse.  After a day or so of thinking I sat down and came up with a pattern and after several changes to the sizes here and there I came up with one that was just about right...I still have one more adjustment to make.  On to the pictures, and as always, comments and critiques are appreciated!!!

The one part that needs to be fixed is the little flap that holds the cards in...it needs to be just a tad bit longer so it doesn't smash the top of it Undecided

Here is the inside Smiley

I do ask that you don't sell anything made with this tutorial.  Please use it for personal use and gifts only, thanks!  Also, if you would like the tute e-mailed to you just send me a message letting me know your e-mail address and I will send a copy to you Smiley

This pattern is very similar to a lined zipper pouch but with a few easy alterations to it.  Start by cutting out all of your fabric. *Note: the tab started as 1.5 inches x 3 inches template and then I rounded one end so that the top of the curve is still 3 inches.  I use 1/4 inch seam allowance on all sides as well.*

I use interfacing on my main fabric, one of the tab pieces and on the contrasting pocket fabric.

Step 1: Take the two pieces for the tab and line them up right sides together.  Sew them together taking care to adjust for the curve.  I usually end up lifting up my presser foot, while the needle is down, and turning it by hand every few stitches.  Once you are done make small cuts along the curve, this will help with the turning.

Step 2: Take one piece of your lining fabric and lay it face up.  Place your zipper on the lining fabric face up as well.  Then place one piece of your outer fabric face down on the zipper.  Pin and sew along the top edge.

Step 3: Now here is one point where it differs just a tad bit from a normal zippered pouch.  Line up your fabrics just like before but this time take your tab, after you turn it right side out, and place it in the middle of your outer fabric.  Pin and sew.

When you open it up it should look like this.

Step 4: Time to work on the outer pocket.  Take the id pocket lining and the contrast and line them up right sides together.  Pin and sew.  Iron the seam open.  Now carefully fold the lining fabric over the contrast fabric, dont fold it right at the seam but at the top edge of the contrasting fabric.  This will help create a nice edge to the pocket.

Step 5:  Heres where it gets a little on the tricky side the first time you make one.  Take the pocket and line it on the side of the outer pouch fabric that doesnt have the tab.

Making sure to leave the zipper at least halfway unzipped, this will make it possible to turn it right sides out, take both outer fabrics, line them up and pin.  Do the same with the lining fabrics.  I start sewing with the lining fabric, about an inch from the corner and then continue all the way around.  I stop about an inch up from the last corner.  This will leave a small gap in the lining.  Also, when I get to the zipper I hand turn my machine to make it easier on the needle, Ive broken a few by not paying attention and zipping right over one.

Step 6:  Time to turn it right sides out, I clip the corners before I turn it so that they arent so bulky once Im done. (Just make sure not to cut the stitching.)  I start by pulling one side of the zipper through and then working down the zipper until the whole zipper is through but this is one part that you can play with and see which way works best for you.  Once its all turned, you will see the pouch starting to come together.  Before I tuck the lining in I press the opening shut by folding the fabric in a and then topstitching from corner to corner.  Now tuck the lining in.

Step 7:  Time to install the snap closure.  I start by holding the tab down and placing one side of the snap on the tab to see where it should be placed.  Once it looks just right Ill install it.

Now comes the tricky part, installing the other half of the snap.  I hold the tab where I think it should sit when closed and peek under to see where  it connects with the fabric.  I then mark the fabric as close to the spot as I can get.

Install the second half of the snap and then youre done!  The ending dimensions should be approximately 4 inches x 3 inches.  

« Last Edit: July 20, 2009 01:41:11 PM by dragonfire411 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I know indeed what evil I intend to do,
but stronger than all my afterthoughts is my fury,
fury that brings upon mortals the greatest evils." - Euripides

http://www.etsy.com/shop/IlarianCreations
Seraphina_de_Sangre
The Daredevil Sky Pirate

Down to a 12 and shedding more lbs. everyday!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009 10:09:38 PM »

Very nice, great design. Not as bulky as a wallet but still enough room for the essentials. It'd be awesome if you made one with a keyring option as well. The red fabric is really amazing too  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swaps
Multi-Themed Steampunk Swap

Wist
Retro_Rose

I shoot people for a living. ;o)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009 10:48:53 PM »

I like the fabric on there. It's punchy. Where did you get it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

arkep
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009 03:35:52 AM »

That's great!  I love carrying little purses like that. In fact, I need a new one pretty badly...I might try adding a little flap like you did.  Good job! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nven
Also known as Aeramel

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009 04:19:51 AM »

Thats a pretty sweet design!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Interested in personal swaps; offering knits for eco baby and mama items.
longtimegeek
Still crazy after all these years....

betta and betta....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2009 05:08:17 AM »

very nice design -- it is just right for those quick little trips when you don't need all of the crap we always lug around "in case"
THIS ROCKS   Logged
little me
Little Me Crafts

Enjoy Life's Little Pleasures

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2009 08:09:29 AM »

Nice design, I like the splash of color w/the red fabric on the front.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

thecraftygranny
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2009 10:32:55 AM »

This is a great little coin purse.  Very nice design.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rocwen
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2009 10:58:55 AM »

Cute!! Love the fabric!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Plans to give you hope and a future. Jer 29:14
lakynmarie
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009 02:50:50 PM »

I love it!
So tiny, but so cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Avatar Post Team - Episode 3 - Process and Flow
How to Play a Fermatta on Violin
How to Play at the Tip of the Bow
How to Play the Piano with Velocity
How to Play Kings Cup
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...