A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,053
Currently Running With Scissors:
680 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stencil Difficulty  (Read 1221 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

roninvamp
« on: February 19, 2009 11:26:19 PM »

I have some pretty complex stencils for my wrestling gear and merchandise, and am currently using sheets of cardboard to cut the stencils.  My simpler ones work pretty well, but I have one design that is rather complex:

www.freewebs.com/roninvamp the design in question is near the bottom of the page

See what I mean?  When I managed to totally cut the stencil out, I found myself wondering how to keep all the little randome pieces that make up the design in place, and I found myself using sewing thread and tape, the tape kept the thread in place and when i sprayed the stencil on paper to test it seemed okay, but want to be totally sure when I start adding this to my t shirts and jackjets.  Ill be using it over and over, so using contact paper and such isnt gonna work, dont have enough time to recut each time I get a merch order.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kwicz
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009 07:03:56 PM »

I hate to say it but at this point it might be easier to have a screen for this design rather than a stencil.

This gal came up with a great idea to make a screen using a freezer paper stencil: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=302032.msg3450204#msg3450204
That might work well for you.  Or there's always the mod podge method: http://community.livejournal.com/craftgrrl/3674467.html

Hope this helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GreyAward

Gusset both ways?

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009 08:27:42 PM »

Freezer paper might be easier to use.
It'll even iron on to your fabric which will make your life happy.
Here is a tutorial by t0xicity, unfortunately the pictures don't work, but the descriptions are very clear.
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=15045.0
Happy crafting!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

If  you want to personal swap, pm me!
kwicz
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2009 01:32:39 PM »

The other advantage to a screen, besides the lack of random small dangly parts, is that it is considerably more reusable if you keep it washed properly. I did an Army of Darkness http://www.studiosixguns.com/reneewhite/ArmyofDarknessPumpkin.jpg freezer paper stencil for some shirts, and with the chainsaw teeth and tattered cloth it was only usable once - it couldn't be peeled off of the shirt in one piece. In those situations you can always cut several stencils at the same time, but if you're doing more than four or five of the same design it's worth it to make a screen or use stencil plastic and stencil adhesive instead. You don't have to use screen printing ink with a screen, but if you are spray painting, it does have to be washed immediately.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create an Origami Pig
How to Create an Origami Water Bomb
How to Create an Origami Peacock
How to Create Origami Star
How to Create an Origami Christmas Tree
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...