A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,565
Currently Running With Scissors:
489 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Auntie Bigmouth Stand-In  (Read 4643 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Bigmouth

Lisa at heart

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: July 05, 2009 07:33:29 PM »

My brother and I have odd senses of humor.  When my brother got ready to have a baby, I knew I needed to do... something.  He and I lived four states away from each other.  My new nephew wasn't going to be able to puke on me nearly as much as I would have liked, so I made a cuddly version of "myself."  I procrastinate like a champ, though, so I didn't get to work until I heard my nephew was born.  I worked through an entire evening on Photoshop and printing/preparing the inkjet printer fabric, and another trying to figure out how to attach two pieces of fabric with a needle and thread.

The final product--with darling nephew.

I can't show the original photos, because I lost them in a hard drive crash.  I used two different photos:  one for the body, and one for the head (because my face was straight-on to the camera in the photo I tried to use, so I found another I took of myself where I was flexing in front of a Rosie the Riveter poster--haha). 

I wanted sort of a South Park aesthetic:  big head, squat body.  I thought it would be easy:  Crop the head, and squish the body vertically.  Oh, how wrong I was.  The width difference between hips and ankles caused the body to turn into a wide diamond shape, and the feet pretty much disappeared.  (If I'd known that, then I would have stood with my feet apart to allow for easier proportions.  Oh, well.)  So I ended up cropping four separate pieces:  head, upper body, lower body, and feet.  The body sections each needed different "squishing," and I still ended up shaving parts of the side pockets from my jeans.  I had to make sure the top of each body piece matched with the bottom of the piece above it.  If I'd known how much work it would be, then I'm not sure I would have done it.  But I was pretty amused with the result.

I'm pleased to say that my brother (the baby's dad) laughed so hard that he was gasping for breath, and really looked like we might need to call an ambulance for him.

I'm also pleased to say that my nephew loved it.  I stuffed it so full, that it was the only toy allowed in his crib for quite a while.  I went to visit them when he was 21 months old, and the first thing he did after I walked in the door was to fetch "Aunt Bigmouth" from his room and bring her to me.  That resulted in an awesome '80s fist-pump from me.

And, just for fun, I took Little Bigmouth on a tour around my town before she went to her new home.  She drank coffee, talked on the phone, hung out at the bookstore, climbed a tree, and went shopping at CVS.

She drew a fair amount of attention from curious passerby!

Obviously, this isn't a new project.  My nephew is over three years old now.  Pardon me if you've seen this project before (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=86422.0)--but I saw the challenge topic, and just had to share again.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/NilaCeramics
Buttons, dishes, pretty things
thisbirdsabsurd
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Be Happy!

« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009 08:39:55 PM »

love it! Cheesy  You did an excellent job and I KNOW the humor was appreciated!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Etsy shop is here!  www.thisbirdsabsurd .etsy.com
vitaboheme

Future Picasso

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2009 08:55:13 PM »

Love this- what a fun idea!
How does your nephew like it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The purpose of art is washing the dust of daily life off our souls.
-Pablo Picasso
Bigmouth

Lisa at heart

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2009 10:22:00 PM »

Love this- what a fun idea!
How does your nephew like it?
Well, I guess he did spend a lot of time sleeping with it.  He gave me a few funny looks when he was old enough to associate it with the real me.  Now he probably thinks it's a normal thing to have toys that look like your relatives!

We've all moved since then, and we live even farther apart.  I also got married, and my husband has a black lab that my nephew loves.  We gave him an almost-full-size stuffed black lab (which I didn't make), and he calls it by the same name.  So he had the dog, and he had me.  So I used photos of the dog, my nephew, and my husband to make a Snapfish picture book about the things they all do (walk, play, throw the ball, eat, etc.).  Now we're all part of his life in book/toy form, since we can't be there live very often!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.etsy.com/NilaCeramics
Buttons, dishes, pretty things
PixieVal
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

There is no right or wrong, when it comes to making art. Making sure that you have fun is the most important part. -Mickey Mouse

Did he just go crazy and fall asleep?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2009 11:41:32 PM »

I love that! My husband is in the military, and my family is scattered around the country. My daughter is already 18 months, and my only brother still hasn't met him!  Sad This is a cool idea to do for my family!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jazpurita
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2009 11:48:09 AM »

This is such a great idea I am  a military family and we dont get to see our family that much I think I am going to make this for my daughter of her grandparents, uncles, and aunt she will have a lil stuffed family hehehe   

alot of sewing and stuffing for me though
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MiLady
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2009 08:19:27 AM »

I absolutely love this and the expression on your face! I love the sentiment behind this very thoughtful gift too. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Happiness is the key to success, success is not the key to happiness. If you love what you're doing you will be happy.
gingerquilts
« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2009 05:07:50 AM »

Bigmouth!  So glad to "see" that pic of your doll self again.  I'm thinking of doing this with pics of our cat and dogs to make stuffed pets for my dd to take to college.  (shhh)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sucker4Love
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2009 02:04:24 AM »

Awww that is so adorable I wish my brothers lived that far away from me so I do do that for their kids lol my luck it would get trashed in a week maybe less lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Who Rocked The Zuhair Murad Frock: Padma Lakshmi Vs. Alessandra Ambrosio?
Must See Winter Fashion Trends
Invest in a Cold-Weather Vest Right Now
Fashion Expert Marcy Guevara Gives Us Style Tips For Plus Sized Women
Taylor Swift Rocks Out in Red on NYE
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...