A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,183
Currently Running With Scissors:
381 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Anglophile/Americaphile (?!) Swap!  (Read 2520 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SevsOnlyGirl
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2009 05:21:37 PM »

My sister and I are in the midst of planning our first trip to London!  I would love this swap!  We're big fans of the history, the music, the literature, ok...almost everything!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
graciedoo
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009 12:29:22 PM »

Ooh have fun in London! My family went on a trip there a few years ago, and we had a great time.

Do you think we would need equal numbers of Ukers and Usaers (more making up words!) - i guess it depends on what sort of patriotic goodies you wanted.

Since Americans are so pushy and numerous (god bless us!) an American could choose to be an honorary Brit, and send Brit stuff to another American (who could send Brit stuff back...)

Legit Brits could get American stuff back from Americans. (pick me! pick me!)
Sounds like a good idea, especially because it seems we have a few more Anglophiles than America-fans.

And who would want to organize this? I don't think I could, cause I've only done a few swaps before....I'm afraid I'd mess everything up! Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

tickle-me-emo
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2009 06:51:48 AM »

me neither i have enough time to craft but alas not enough time (or cleverness to organise)!
can i twist anyones arm?  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beki710

Partly confused all of the time...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2009 08:29:40 AM »

This sounds interesting! I'm a big fan of american TV shows and comedians, and I love vintage american clothes and adverts! I'm English and I really want to move to America in a few years time. I'll have to think about it though. I'd offer to organise but I'm just about to organise a postsecret swap and I don't think I could organise 2 at once!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScotSkipper402
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2009 04:46:17 PM »

I'm English and I really want to move to America in a few years time.

Come on over -- we'd love to have you! Believe me, we need all the organizing talent we can get.

AND you've helped explain why there's no special word for people-who-live-outside-the-US-and-like-us-even-though-we're-obnoxious-occasionally. There's already a word: "Immigrants"!  Grin

(OK. That's jingoistic and culturally imperialistic and very tacky Yankee. What can I say? I'm a bumptious American. Fer schizzle.)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
graciedoo
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2009 05:54:34 PM »

We're Americans! It's our job to be tacky and overgeneralize!  Tongue If we didn't do that, we wouldn't be doin' right by Ol' Glory.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tickle-me-emo
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2009 03:12:11 AM »

Cheesy

and maybe thats your charm?! to us "alien immigrants" anyway!  Cheesy the word alien still gets me everytime!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SevsOnlyGirl

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2009 05:24:28 AM »

My husband gets mad at me for saying that Americans are rude and loud and expect people to do things for them.  But I'm a hexpatriot! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
graciedoo
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2009 07:29:23 PM »

Hexpatriot? Is this a new word or am I just out of the loop?  :-P
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SevsOnlyGirl

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2009 03:00:58 AM »

Not really a new term, just not widely used.  Some put the two words together, some use hex patriot.

Here's a funny definition:  Expatriates who never actually leave the country. They just speak ill of America's corruption and lack of refinement. Cheesy

I do love what America stands for, don't get me wrong.  But overall as a people...there's just a lack of ownership in our country.  It seems that everyone blames everyone else and very few want to DO something about it.  It might be like that everywhere, but I don't hear half the crazy stuff from other countries.lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
DIY Collagen-Boosting Eye Cream
Surprising Beauty Buys from Whole Foods
How to Get Firmer, Clearer Skin in 10 Minutes
How to Prevent Mascara From Running
All About the Lip
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...