A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 297,164
Currently Running With Scissors:
309 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: "Succulent" patchwork lap quilt  (Read 4560 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

itchyfingers

Baby is here - at long last!!

View Profile WWW
« on: July 05, 2009 10:27:39 AM »

Iíve had such a full month that I only got to this challenge after the first of the month - Iím amazed I managed to finish in time!  

(Thanks to my husband and his nice legs for holding the quilt up for a picture. Smiley)

I had been thinking about doing something for this one, since I love taking pictures, but first had to decide which picture to use.  I love macro photography, especially of plants, and I had one in particular that I loved - a picture I took last summer of a succulent plant in my momís garden.  I love how vivid the green is in this picture.  

My original plan was to print a full sized photo onto fabric transfers and then cut quilt squares out of the fabric.  Unfortunately, I tried it and the fabric jammed in my printer.  I had some iron on transfers, though, so I first did nine wallets on one sheet and then a full size photo.  I didnít check my printer settings and ended up printing the full size in black and white, so I went and made another one in colour.  I ironed the wallet sized photos onto white quilting squares that I got in the scavenger hunt swap.  I ended up using nearly all the squares my partner gave me in that swap to make my quilt.  I added a few that Iíve had for years (I think they were my momís when I was a kid) and some others to add a bit more colour.  In the end, I used this photo seventeen different times - nine wallets on white squares, four full colour squares and four black and white squares.  I made the quilt relatively small, as Iím planning to use it for hockey games and as a lap blanket.  The backing I got for free from a thrift store - it was a double sheet that I folded over so that it gave the quilt a bit of thickness.

Cut-out iron-on photos:

Piecing together:

Close up of finished quilt showing the three different ways I used my photo:

This isnít actually completely finished - I still have to do a tiny bit of hand stitching to connect the backing to the face - but I was on a sewing marathon last night and finished after midnight, so Iím not going to get to the rest quite yet. Smiley
« Last Edit: July 05, 2009 10:31:44 AM by itchyfingers » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Baby number four is here and he's a boy!!  Time to start using all the great stuff I got from a bunch of Craftster friends:
Baby Shower in a Box

Wists
stevenjames
what are you gonna make today?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2009 11:59:09 AM »

Great project and wonderful tute! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

learn how to torch enamel: http://macaroniandglitter.com/classes

follow me on facebook:
http://www.facebook.com/stevenjames
heatherface
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2009 09:14:10 AM »

Awesome idea!!  I really like your use of color also.  And "succulent"is one of my favorite words...  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
itchyfingers

Baby is here - at long last!!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2009 10:44:41 AM »

Thanks  - originally it was just going to be green, white and grey, but I thought it needed a little burst of colour so I added the pink and red.  I LOVE that red fabric and used it before in a purse liner, so I knew right away I wanted to use it for my quilt. 
Yeah, I think succulent is a pretty sexy word. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Baby number four is here and he's a boy!!  Time to start using all the great stuff I got from a bunch of Craftster friends:
Baby Shower in a Box

Wists
Belladune
Fiber Arts Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

crazy crafty momma

'darn kids, they were pesky from the start' D. Lee

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2009 03:00:29 PM »

neat!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

archerpren
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2009 10:19:31 AM »

beautiful! ive never thought about adding photos like that to a quilt! i wanna try now!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Turn On the Grid in Flash CS3
How to Unlink Layers in Photoshop CS3
How to Use the Default Foreground and Background Colors in Photoshop CS3
How to Use the Erase Tool in Flash CS3
How to Use the History Palette in Photoshop CS3
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...