A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,050
Currently Running With Scissors:
598 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Ice Cube Treats for Pets  (Read 8814 times)
Tags for this thread: dog_treat  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

maise
« on: April 06, 2005 11:43:49 PM »

I'm not sure if this qualifies as a craft, but it is pet related. My dog loves ice cubes and loves treats so I took some chocolate molds, put a few kibble pieces in each and filled with water. I put them in the freezer for an hour or so and now my dog Molly has a treat she'll enjoy that will keep her busy.

here is the finished product in the turtle shaped mold. i did a variety of kibble, liver treats, cheese treats and beef treats (two are missing, she tested those two)

I also did a smaller cube in a small heart that only fit 3 kibble squares, and she enjoyed those too. I would think that this would work for cats with catnip cubes. If I still had a cat I would give it a try.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014 07:57:13 AM by kittykill - Reason: thumbnail for broken image » THIS ROCKS   Logged

fl_mariposa
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005 06:57:20 AM »

I do this in the summer, instead of buying expensive dog ice cream. I freeze plain or vanilla nonfat yogurt, with a variety of yummies in them-cheese, tuna chunks, anything they'd find yummy. I made some teeny ones for my cats, but they didn't care much for them. Nice idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

out of town until July 10th...I will respond to any messages then.
nikkicola
Coley Moley

I'm creative... don't expect me to be tidy too!

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2005 03:12:28 PM »

wow, that's really smart! my dog always licks frozen stuff!

*cole*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Lorraine, my density has popped me to you."
"Why are things so heavy in the future? Is there a problem with the earth's gravitational pull?"
Lindsayanne
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005 05:00:43 PM »

What a great idea!

I never thought about freezing ice in chocolate molds!

I have made doggie chocolates though. Smiley We had a class at the kennel club on Valentines Day, so I melted these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4370683279&category=66778 Good Boy Choco-Drops (carob based) and spooned them into heart molds. They set up just like chocolate and the dogs just adored them!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

macaulkv
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005 01:21:34 AM »

How clever is that - we get warm summers in Southern California and though I've shot ice across the floor for the dogs to chase, I've never thought about freezing treats in them. Thanks for the idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Autywon

and we'd be like oooh we're in a movie.

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2005 03:26:30 PM »

aahh .. yes I saw something like this on a show :
for big dogs fill round tubber wear bowls with treats and meat and then put water and freeze .. and the dogs loved chaseing them around and eating them
but ur idea is cuter , great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

APPLY SOME PRESSUER.
FingerPrick

I do all my own stunts.

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2005 03:32:30 PM »

That is great!  My dogs love those -- I take all leftover junk in the kitchen (i.e. rotten produce, fat from meat, egg shells, etc) and put it in the blender, then spoon the mixture into hollow cow's hooves (you can get those at the pet store).  The dogs love them, but they are definitely an outside treat -- yuck!  The mixture is good for their coats though. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DogGrrl
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005 03:46:29 PM »

I often do something similar.  I plug up the small hole on a Kong with peanut butter or cream cheese, fill with chicken broth, drop some yummy stuff in there and freeze.  It is great when I am outside working in the garden, Monkey and Trouble don't "help" me as much if they have their yummy Kongsicles!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
The Meow Wont Purr
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Valerian Aquarian

All Is Full Of Love

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2005 01:03:02 AM »

This is such a great idea! I know my dog loves ice, too, and a little treat in there for her would make her so happy. Does the kibble get soggy? Thats the only think I would think of that she may snub her nose at (but who am I kidding--she would eat it when I wasnt looking).
Molly is so cute, giving the demo.  Cheesy
fl_mariposa: I've never heard of doggy ice cream.... I love the idea of using yogurt with little prizes in it. I'll try this one, too.
These are so great, I wonder why I've never thought of it? My dog loves ice. And it will be perfect once Summer comes....
oh that San Antonio heat....  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"To be matter of fact about the world is to blunder into fantasy -- and dull fantasy at that, as the real world is strange and wonderful." --Robert A. Heinlein
maise
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2005 06:43:12 PM »

Thank you everyone for your comments and questions.

I do this in the summer, instead of buying expensive dog ice cream. I freeze plain or vanilla nonfat yogurt, with a variety of yummies in them-cheese, tuna chunks, anything they'd find yummy. I made some teeny ones for my cats, but they didn't care much for them. Nice idea!

good idea. i'm going to try that next. doggy yogurt pops. molly will love them

I have made doggie chocolates though. Smiley We had a class at the kennel club on Valentines Day, so I melted these: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4370683279&category=66778 Good Boy Choco-Drops (carob based) and spooned them into heart molds. They set up just like chocolate and the dogs just adored them!

i never thought of that, but i remembered carob chips at the petstore. i'm going to have to pick some of those up and try them out for her. she'll be in heaven with all the treats.

I often do something similar. I plug up the small hole on a Kong with peanut butter or cream cheese, fill with chicken broth, drop some yummy stuff in there and freeze. It is great when I am outside working in the garden, Monkey and Trouble don't "help" me as much if they have their yummy Kongsicles!

i do that too. to keep her busy, i've put kibble and shredded cheese inside, then microwaved it for a few seconds til it melted, let it cool and she just loves getting all the food out. i've heard you could freeze stuff inside, but haven't gotten around to trying that yet. we bought some cheese wiz and she loves that in them too.

Does the kibble get soggy? Thats the only think I would think of that she may snub her nose at (but

They seemed to freeze before they got soggy. Some didn't quite sink all the way in, and were a bit crunchy still where the ice wasn't. They could have gotten soggy though while thawing as she ate them. I found the liver treats expanded a little but she didn't seem to mind.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Do Vintage Hollywood Hair
Get Next-Level Sexy Hair With This Do-It-All Ingredient
How To Do A Fishtail Braid
4 Styling Tips for Thinning Hair
Does It Work: Air Curler
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...