A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,926
Currently Running With Scissors:
376 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Suit jacket ----> purse and pin ---> Now with tutorial  (Read 9108 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kokoleo
« on: April 06, 2005 10:53:41 PM »

I've never posted pictures before. I hope this works.

I got this herringbone tweed suit jacket for a dollar at a thrift store around the corner. Next time I'll take a picture of the jacket before I cut it up. The lady at the store said, "That' a really nice jacket. You'll look good in that." I said, "I'm just going to cut it up." Ha!

The flower pin is removable. Inside is a flat pocket and a cell phone pocket. On the back is a pocket and a mock pocket that were on the front of the jacket.

**TUTORIAL**

Sorry it took so long. If people are still interested, heres the tutorial. . .

Basically the purse pattern is a modified version of jordys square-bottom purse, just a little wider at the bottom than the top. I like to make my patterns out of posterboard, then just lay the posterboard on the fabric and cut around.

I cut the front and back sides of the purse out of the front and back sides of the jacket. Just find an interseting area where theres enough fabric to fit your pattern.

I cut the handle out of the sleeve 5 inches across and however long the sleeve is. Fold that over and stitch down the middle. Dont trim the excess fabric. Turn inside out, press flat and stitch down the middle. I find this way makes it a little more sturdy.

Sorry, I forgot to take pictures during this part. Just follow the directions for putting together the jordy purse. For the flap, insert on the side with the pocket. Make sure your jacket fabric faces jacket fabric, and lining faces lining.

For the flower, make a flower pattern. Stitch two fabrics together, all the way around. Cut a hole on what will be the back of your flower. Push petals through the hole.

All I can say for the next step is to stitch and stitch and stitch until you get it to the shape you like. Add a button or something else to cover your stitches and sew on a pin back.

I hope this makes sense.

Heres the finished product. . .

« Last Edit: December 19, 2010 07:36:31 PM by MareMare - Reason: to fix coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

IAte86Crayons
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2005 04:13:30 PM »

omg... that turned out great! wow...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
danielle05
pirate (arrr!)

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005 07:08:41 PM »

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes wow that is so awesome! how funny that the lady told you that you'd look great in that jacket and then you flat out told her you were just going to cut it up. is that lining on the purse what the suit jacket was lined with? that is so so cool. maybe i should get myself a thrift store suit jacket too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i'm danielle.
i am a knitter, a photographer, and a peace activist.
www.peaceandknitting.blogspot.com
kokoleo
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005 10:30:34 PM »

Aw, thanks guys. The lining of the jacket was thin and satin so I used some other fabric I had. I still have half of that jacket left so I think I'll try to make a similar one. I made a 2 more flower pins out of the scraps and wore one today. It's so fun to wear a big flower on your bosom.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smurfette

lemonlimedesign.etsy.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005 11:37:37 AM »

wow I love this purse! and the pin is soooo cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

faith is the substance of things hoped for the evidence of things not yet seen

http://lemonlimedesign.etsy.com
awesome possum

don't lose the dreams inside your head

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2005 02:09:58 PM »

Oh my gosh that's so awesome!! I would love a tutorial!! PLEASE!!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never a dull moment in Mid-World
reware
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2005 02:14:10 PM »

Wow! What a great idea, and beautifully made! I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fun vintage clothing and housewares at great prices! Reware Vintage
Melissa_Bumbles

hello my name is melon

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2005 02:47:46 AM »

yes, please post a tute!  that bag is adorable...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Most people are other people.  Their thoughts are someone else's opinions, their lives a mimicry, their passions a quotation." -- Oscar Wilde
rickrackruby
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2005 04:22:25 AM »

Those projects are great!  I love the bag AND the flower! 

But I couldn't see them in the post either.  Did you use the Craftster photo hosting? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jesslow
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2005 11:10:10 AM »

You rock!!  I bought 2 tweed jackets last fall from a consignment shop not realizing that they are clearly from the '80s and do not look good on me.  They are sitting in my closet and I wondered what to do with them....now i know!!

PLEASE post a tutorial on both the bag and the flower (both look so professional!)

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kokoleo
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2005 02:14:30 PM »

I think I corrected the first picture posting problem so I hope people can see them now. Thanks for the nice feedback! I'll try to post a tutorial soon. I've been spending a lot of time putting together a website to sell my wares so unfortunately that's taking away from my sewing time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

supergirle
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2005 07:34:37 PM »

what a clever idea and veryw elld oen!  thanks for posting would love to learn how to make one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Anna D.
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2005 11:32:35 AM »

It is amazing what good stuff you can find in a thrift store! I've used the fabrics from torn up thrift store finds, but that is really ingenious the way you've used the pockets.  I love the pin too! 

THIS ROCKS   Logged

QueenOfFancy

swim mermaid swim

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2005 02:29:08 PM »

That is quite the nifty bag!!!     very nice
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Whats happenin' hot stuff? -Long Duk Dong
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2005 08:33:34 PM »

Oh man, that's so cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Bars1.Mp4
Hot New Jewelry Trends, From Bobbie Thomas
Two Time War Vet Gets Crafty for Charity
How to Make DIY Tassel Jewelry
How to Make a Pastel Pearl Wooden Bead Necklace
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...